VOGONS

First post, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I'm having some strange issues with my build. I have a Compaq Portable 386, with a TI486 SXL-40 running windows 95.

At first I had added a Compaq slimline CD-ROMs using a Sound Blaster ISA card and I got no problems, worked perfectly.

I'm now toying around with a ReelMagic ISA card from Sigma Designs (the same one as this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-Designs-ET-700 … rwAAOSwSk5ciAul) - it's basically a soundblaster compatible + IDE CDROM adapter + MPEG-1 decoder card all in one. I've gotten the soundcard part to work, and I also thought I got the CDROM working, but when I try to load images from the CDROM the images are a little distorted (it almost looks like the image is a bit "streaky" with one or two of the lines of the image not lined up with the rest of the image. Video files load the first frame then I get a windows 95 illegal operation error and the video player shuts down.

Text files off the CDROM load up fine both in dos and in windows. EXE's don't seem to work however. In windows I get these messages: A device attached to the system is not functioning, or this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Here's the CDROM I'm using, just a generic slimline:

IMG-4006.jpg

The driver I'm using is one I found on CDGOD ver 5.5 (https://web.archive.org/web/20061102233436/ht … dld/cdgod55.exe) which makes it super easy to test out drivers. The driver that seems to work best so far is CPQIDECD.SYS (My Atapi_CD.sys also worked but it seemed to load images even more corrupted). Originally, with the soundblaster, this CDROM worked flawlessly with SBIDE.SYS.

Does anyone have any idea to why my CDROM won't play nice with the Sigma Designs ISA card? Is there something I'm missing? Are there any switches that I need to set in my config.sys ? 😕

Should I keep trying different drivers?

Reply 1 of 3, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok seems like no ones got an idea. Here’s what i’ve tried:

-msdos drivers vs no drivers in config.sys and just using windows 95 drivers (no change)
-replacing the CD-ROM drive (I have 2x the same model, both still acting funny)

My gut tells me that the sigma card maybe needs special drivers, just like the Sound Blaster cards have SB_Ide.sys? There are drivers included on the vogons driver download page for the ReelMagic Isa card, but they come as installation files (E.g. ata_pi.sy_) and crash my computer if I try to use them directly. Any ideas??

Here’s what it looks like when I try to browse a CD - all sorts of weird problems. Looks like the data is out of sync. I’ve tried different cds all with the same result 😕

image.jpg
20 dice roller

Reply 2 of 3, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think your gut feeling is spot on. Have you tried not loading any drivers in DOS prior to loading Windows?

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 3 of 3, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had a problem like this on a SS7 motherboard. It was caused by a VIA IDE driver. I managed to get it stable by unticking "DMA" access under the drive in Device Manager. Could be completely unrelated but worth a try.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**