VOGONS

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to see what my Super Socket 7 system can really do so I started doing some tests.

The config is:
- ASUS P5A-B motherboard
- K6-III+ 550 MHz
- 256MB RAM
- 40GB Maxtor HDD
- Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
- Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520
- Realtek NIC

My first game of choice was Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM. Installing the game was the easy part. However, no matter what I tried, I couldn't get music to work! Spent hours without success...

At least Ignition works great with the 3dfx patch.

I now remember why I started using Windows 98 exclusively back in the day. I was too lazy to boot into DOS! Besides, most of the newer stuff worked fine under 98. There was no reason for me to keep DOS anymore! Well, looks like I'll be needing it now, if I want to do a proper time-machine.

Questions:
1) has anybody gotten CT4520 to work under DOS 7.x?
2) when dual booting DOS and Windows98SE, do they have to be on separate partitions?
3) if yes, how does this work?
4) would I benefit from using FreeDOS and is it compatible with DOS 6.22?

EDIT: this reminds me, might get to substituting that AWE64 card for AWE32 CT3670.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

2) when dual booting DOS and Windows98SE, do they have to be on separate partitions?

Dual booting? What is the difference between DOS and Windows 4.x? Isn't the first one part of the second one? 😀

Half-Saint wrote:

3) if yes, how does this work?

Edit MSDOS.SYS, add BootGUI=0, and start Windows the traditional way by entering "win" when you need it.

Half-Saint wrote:

4) would I benefit from using FreeDOS and is it compatible with DOS 6.22?

It is particularly useful for preparing FAT32 partitions.

Reply 3 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

I think the problem with sound in X-Wing CD is due to DOS 7. I originally installed Windows 98SE from scratch, so didn't come with DOS 6.22.

For this reason I told you to not start Windows.

Most people do not realize that when they use BootGUI=1 (the default) and exit from Windows to DOS, a small portion of Windows stays resident. Which causes all kinds of issues, that you do not have if you do not start Windows in the first place.

Reply 4 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

I think the problem with sound in X-Wing CD is due to DOS 7. I originally installed Windows 98SE from scratch, so didn't come with DOS 6.22.

For this reason I told you to not start Windows.

Most people do not realize that when they use BootGUI=1 (the default) and exit from Windows to DOS, a small portion of Windows stays resident. Which causes all kinds of issues, that you do not have if you do not start Windows in the first place.

I started DOS by bashing F8 during startup. Though that would do the trick.

I'm now starting to get pissed off. To test my hypothesis, I booted off a compact flash card which only contains DOS 6.22. Now I can't even run the installer off the CD because I constantly get "CDR101: Not ready reading drive D" error. Mind you, I can do a "dir" on D: just fine. I'm using the OAKCDROM.SYS driver and MSCDEX.

EDIT: replaced OAKCDROM with TRICD.SYS and at least the CD is now readable. However, I still can't get music to work in X-Wing. All I get it sound effects. I did run CTCM and have the SET BLASTER set.

Last edited by Half-Saint on 2019-05-21, 07:14. Edited 1 time in total.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

"CDR101: Not ready reading drive D"

Looks like you have set a different driver name than "CDR101" in the DOS 6.2 startup files.

Reply 6 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

"CDR101: Not ready reading drive D"

Looks like you have set a different driver name than "CDR101" in the DOS 6.2 startup files.

Yeah, fixed that ( see above). Now struggling with music in X-Wing CD again 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 7 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tricd? Never heard of.
Why don't you just edit the oakcdrom and mscdex entries in the startup utilities instead of using an exotic driver of unknown compatibility?

Reply 8 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:

Tricd? Never heard of.
Why don't you just edit the oakcdrom and mscdex entries in the startup utilities instead of using an exotic driver of unknown compatibility?

For some reason OAKCDROM.SYS that I got off an OPTI930 floppy defaults to 12345678 instead of MSCD000. At least TRICD.SYS defaults to MSCD000 and works fine 😀 It was supplied with a bunch of other drivers on a drivers floppy for Intel FX/HX/VX motherboards. It works so for the moment I'm fine. I'd like to sort out my sound card issues first.

I downloaded AWE64 Value DOS drivers from creative website and still no luck. I have CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS in CONFIG.SYS. Nothing works!!!

AWEUTIL also fails to initialize for some reason.

EDIT: completed another piece of the puzzle. Added CTCM in AUTOEXEC.BAT and now at least AWEUTIL /s works. Can't do AWEUTIL /EM:GM because it fails to load SYNTHGM.SBK which appears to be missing. Music in X-Wing still doesn't work....

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use VIDE-CDD.SYS and SHSUCDX.EXE for CD drivers.
Use CTCM in AUTOEXEC.BAT (not CONFIG.SYS) and then AWEUTIL to initialize the AWE64. Edit: note that you can do this cleanly without anything getting installed into memory; i.e. a straight initialization with no TSRs, unless you want GM support that is. But the AWE64 GM emulation in DOS has always been straight incompatible, unstable trash.

Have DOS on a separate partition. You can use either MS-DOS 6.22 or the modified 9x DOS, i.e. "MS-DOS 7.1", which will get you FAT32 support and is modified to work as a standalone DOS (works the same as 6.22 in all cases except with FAT32 support). You can get it from the "China DOS Union" boot disk.

Use a boot manager that loads itself into the MBR. I've attached a zip file with the one that I use, which works great and is spartan and lightweight.

Filename
BOOTMGRX.zip
File size
16.9 KiB
Downloads
34 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note that having DOS on a separate partition is especially powerful because it separates your concerns with regard to Win9x vs DOS; you can have all your DOS boot menu settings on the DOS partition without having to worry about them on the 9x side, and 9x can screw around with all of its DOS stuff all it wants and never mess anything up with your main DOS setup.

Basically 9x and DOS are so integrated with each other, that if you want to use pure DOS it's much cleaner and neater to have a separate partition for that, and you can be absolutely, positively certain that nothing Windows 98 does will ever mess up your DOS setup (which is the biggest thing for me). Plus you can install Windows 3.1 on that partition if you want.

Last edited by keenmaster486 on 2019-05-21, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 11 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

EDIT: completed another piece of the puzzle. Added CTCM in AUTOEXEC.BAT and now at least AWEUTIL /s works. Can't do AWEUTIL /EM:GM because it fails to load SYNTHGM.SBK which appears to be missing. Music in X-Wing still doesn't work....

So download the AWE64 CD off of vogonsdrivers and get the needed file from there. It would also probably be a good idea to just install all of the AWE64 stuff from the install CD and then update the Windows drivers with the updated drivers from Creative Labs. that should give you everything you need.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 12, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Have DOS on a separate partition. You can use either MS-DOS 6.22 or the modified 9x DOS, i.e. "MS-DOS 7.1", which will get you FAT32 support and is modified to work as a standalone DOS (works the same as 6.22 in all cases except with FAT32 support). You can get it from the "China DOS Union" boot disk.

Meh. I see no need for it. Once you have Win9x and its pure DOS mode, there is nothing useful in 6.22 anymore.

keenmaster486 wrote:

Note that having DOS on a separate partition is especially powerful because it separates your concerns with regard to Win9x vs DOS; you can have all your DOS boot menu settings on the DOS partition without having to worry about them on the 9x side, and 9x can screw around with all of its DOS stuff all it wants and never mess anything up with your main DOS setup.

Indeed as you said, the only way to achieve that is to use a third-party boot manager. Otherwise you still need the Win9x boot files on the same partition. So you save some possible hassle down the road by having a more complicated setup to begin with.

keenmaster486 wrote:

Basically 9x and DOS are so integrated with each other, that if you want to use pure DOS it's much cleaner and neater to have a separate partition for that, and you can be absolutely, positively certain that nothing Windows 98 does will ever mess up your DOS setup (which is the biggest thing for me). Plus you can install Windows 3.1 on that partition if you want.

Dunno whats "much cleaner and neater" than just having Win9x boot into pure DOS mode, and you can type WIN to run Windows. Win9x rarely touches DOS startup files unless you tell it,or unless you install some Win9x app/driver that has a DOS module (usually audio drivers). Besides these are just plain text files anyways that you can just re-edit or backup and restore.

I've been running nothing but Win98 SE on my DOS setup for years, and never missed DOS 6.22, never wished that I had any dual-boot at all.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys