VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! This is the guy with the Epson 486 again, I've reinstalled DOS 6.22 sans windows (going for just straight dos) and I've almost got it all setup correctly. Only problem is I forgot to copy the CD driver, I think it's a Toshiba but I'd have to take it apart to be sure how do I go about setting it up in the Autoexec.bat and where do I get a driver. I vaguely remember something about an Oak driver when I set up dos computers in the past but I can't seem to find that now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, no problem! Here's the basic configuration for oakcdrom.sys (driver in DOS directory) :

[autoexec.bat]
MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /L:D

[config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

Good luck! 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    oakcdrom.zip
    File size
    12.3 KiB
    Downloads
    3677 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems the Oakcdrom driver didn't quite cut it. Damn, well I guess I'm going to have to find out what kind of drive it is then. 🙁

Know anymore universal ones?

Reply 3 of 47, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's the drive connected to? Oakcdrom works for almost all IDE drives, so you probably have some other interface. Which one determines the driver. Most likely either SCSI or one of the early proprietary protocols usually stuck on sound cards, like Sony, Matsushita or Mitsumi.

Reply 4 of 47, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same. I'd check the interface and put it (the proprietary driver) in place of oakcdrom.sys.
The parameters should be about the same, though. Just change the driver name..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 47, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

What's the drive connected to? Oakcdrom works for almost all IDE drives, so you probably have some other interface. Which one determines the driver. Most likely either SCSI or one of the early proprietary protocols usually stuck on sound cards, like Sony, Matsushita or Mitsumi.

Yeah there was Panasonic as well iirc.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 47, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:
dionb wrote:

Yeah there was Panasonic as well iirc.

Matsushita = Panasonic 😉

Reply 8 of 47, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dionb was faster on the company name.

If the drive has a 40 pin connector it is either Mitsumi, Panasonic or broken.
Sony uses a 34pin cable and SCSI 50pin (only once met a 68pin IBM branded Plextor drive).

Reply 9 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys were right! Mitsumi CR MC-FX00IDE 40 Pin and it's connected to the Mozart sound card by Oak Technologies. So I guess find drivers for that thing? 🤣

Reply 11 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not seeing any matches there, I tried a random FX one and no dice sadly still didn't recognize it.

Reply 12 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I used the FDX_122 one and it seems to work, but I can't see if it takes all the way since everything flies past as it loads. I'm assuming it didn't quite work right since I still can't figure out what drive it's on.

EDIT: Pause/Break key worked for that problem but the damn thing still isn't working right... It seems to recognize there is a CD drive but then says Not detected.

hCq0rZl.jpg

Reply 14 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Mitsumi CR MC-FX00IDE is an IDE drive, so OAKCDROM.SYS or VIDE-CDD.SYS ought to work. MTMCDAS.SYS is a driver for the proprietary (non-IDE) CD-ROM drives and so won't work.

If your Mozart card has three 40-pin connectors and one 34-pin connector, then the 40pin connector in the middle is for the IDE controller (if the CD-ROM won't eject, that's usually an indication the data cable is on the wrong connector or is backwards or both). But since it was working before in Win98, and :

King_Corduroy wrote:

I'd have to take it apart

(which meant you hadn't messed with the cabling)
and

King_Corduroy wrote:

it's connected to the Mozart sound card by Oak Technologies.

assuming you didn't tamper with it after looking to see what it was connected to, then it's just a driver configuration problem.

When using VIDE-CDD.SYS or OAKCDROM.SYS, you need to specify the IRQ and I/O range of the IDE controller. The controller on the Mozart card may be defined as a tertiary IDE controller, so as an example in CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /P:1e8,11 /D:MSCD001

It probably also supports "brute-forcing", searching every IRQ&I/O combo you give it:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,11 /P:168,10

The output will tell you where the drive was found so you can pare out the duds.

Last edited by AlaricD on 2019-06-05, 17:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cobra42898 wrote:

change the "mscd001" part of the mscdex line to "Mtmcdas" and see if it works.

The string after /D: (most of the time, "MSCD001") is an arbitrary value, just so the network redirector MSCDEX.EXE can associate a drive letter with the discovered drive. It can be (and often *IS*) "BANANA" because it's easier to type and there won't be mistakes like putting the capital letter "O" instead of the numeral "0" in it. Just so long as the string is the same on each the CD-ROM device driver line and the redirector line, it should work.

Last edited by AlaricD on 2019-06-05, 19:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

everything flies past as it loads.

As soon as it says "Starting MS-DOS...", hit F8 to do a step-by-step confirmation.

Reply 17 of 47, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

...and it's connected to the Mozart sound card...

Is the IDE controller of the sound card enabled? Any jumpers on the sound card to set?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 18 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes everything was working before I reinstalled DOS, the previous owner had installed Windows 95 over the original Windows 3.11 and DOS and deleted the backup because of lack of HDD space so sadly I had to rescue what I could and reinstall to get it back to even a mildly acceptable state. However because I'm an idiot I forgot to copy Config.sys and the CD-ROM drivers that it would have pointed me to had I remembered to look at that. Both the CD-ROM and the Sound Card were working fine, and now after the reinstall I've got the Sound Card working great but the CD-ROM just won't detect properly.

Reply 19 of 47, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yes everything was working before I reinstalled DOS

Alright, it just seems it's down to choosing the correct driver and constructing the CONFIG.SYS 'DEVICE=' statement.

Choosing the right driver: That Mitsumi CR MC-FX00IDE is an IDE drive, so OAKCDROM.SYS or VIDE-CDD.SYS ought to work. MTMCDAS.SYS is a driver for the proprietary (non-IDE) CD-ROM drives and so won't work.

Constructing the CONFIG.SYS 'DEVICE=' statement: When using VIDE-CDD.SYS or OAKCDROM.SYS, you need to specify the IRQ and I/O range of the IDE controller. The controller on the Mozart card may be defined as a tertiary IDE controller, so as an example in CONFIG.SYS (using OAKCDROM.SYS, if VIDE-CDD.SYS is also in your C:\DOS directory, you can try again using it, just replace the filename):

DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /P:1e8,11 /D:MSCD001

However, it probably also supports "brute-forcing", searching every IRQ&I/O combo you give it, which can be a real timesaver:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,11 /P:168,10

The output will tell you where the drive was found so you can pare out the duds.

Don't forget the F8, Step-by-Step Confirmation that DOS 6.2x offers.