VOGONS

First post, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I currently put together an Asus Tusl2-c system and even when carefully clamping down the cpu HSF, i accidently knocked of a SMD capacitor thats in close proximity to the cpu socket, but thankfully to my many years of soldering experience, i was able to reattach it with a normal sized 30w pencil iron, 60/40 solder and paste flux.

Everything appears to be working fine, installing the OS, playing games, running benchmarks w/o as much as a hiccup, perhaps i got lucky, so the question is... does anyone know the function of the capacitor thats just circled in yellow, everyhting else is fine.

PS - this is not my original picture, i had to find one on the net that had a closeup of the area on the same motherboard.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 1 of 5, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Odds are it's just a standard filtering cap

Reply 2 of 5, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What ever its for, thankgoodness i caught it before the system build was completed and powered on, who knows what might have happened... like not powering up or killed the motherboard and/or cpu instantly, everything on the mobo has its purpose.

I made sure it wouldnt happend again... i used a HSF that has three hold down points each on both sides, like used specifically for AMD s462 sockets, i just broke off the corresponding ends that isnt used, so that now only the two hold down points on each side of the INTEL socket is used, its still better than just using a HSF with only the center hold down points.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 3 of 5, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bige4u wrote:

What ever its for, thankgoodness i caught it before the system build was completed and powered on, who knows what might have happened... like not powering up or killed the motherboard and/or cpu instantly, everything on the mobo has its purpose.

I made sure it wouldnt happend again... i used a HSF that has three hold down points each on both sides, like used specifically for AMD s462 sockets, i just broke off the corresponding ends that isnt used, so that now only the two hold down points on each side of the INTEL socket is used, its still better than just using a HSF with only the center hold down points.

You're definitely right that everything has a purpose - however not everything is absolutely necessary.

My TUSL2-C board is missing a resistor for the PLED, and another resistor is about to fall off. Board still works, but the front panel power LED won't turn on.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 4 of 5, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kalm_traveler wrote:

You're definitely right that everything has a purpose - however not everything is absolutely necessary.

My TUSL2-C board is missing a resistor for the PLED, and another resistor is about to fall off. Board still works, but the front panel power LED won't turn on.

Thats not exactly a mission critical part... more like an accessory, an option, if you will, that really doesnt impact the overall operation of the motherboard.

Reply 5 of 5, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bige4u wrote:
kalm_traveler wrote:

Thats not exactly a mission critical part... more like an accessory, an option, if you will, that really doesnt impact the overall operation of the motherboard.

My point is that we don't have any idea what the one you asked about is for - and we also know that on-CPU SMDs can sometimes be broken off without rendering the CPU useless as they are often only there for voltage ripple suppression. WIthout them, it might not overclock as high but should still work at stock speeds.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro