VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while back, someone made something called InExperience Patcher for Windows XP, which lets you swap all the art assets with their windows 2000 counterparts. This includes icons down to the control panel and pretty much everything. You could then put in your own soundset and you'd pretty much just have a vintage style XP.

I'm wondering if the same could be done for 98? Everyone is super nostalgic for 95 to the point of building around it, even I myself am tempted to do so, but it feels unnecessary when something like InExperience patcher feels possible and 98Lite exists.

Do you think this is possible? If so, what assets would we have to swap exactly? Off the top of my head: icons, sounds, and explorer.exe, but there could be some interface elements I'm not thinking of. Backgrounds and screensavers I know would be possible too, and I know some 95 assets are still in 98 I believe.

Basically, what would be involved in creating a batch script that did this?

Reply 1 of 1, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

98Lite's shell transplanting is at least a good start, though the bulk of the art is similar to the 2000/XP situation - system DLL files.

The "windows default" theme included with Win98's desktop themes accidentally resembles Win95 too. Probably an oversight 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem