VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have placed an xfx Geforce 7900GS AGP 512 mb card in my Old xp machine. The cooler makes quite a lot of noise. I can get this Zalman VF900-Cu led cooler, this cooler fits on this card and it will have enough cooling capacity to cool the card. In the manual there is geforce 7900 series, but officially there is not on agp so today my question if this will fit?

Last edited by egbertjan on 2019-09-26, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Er, that title looks a bit iffy... having trouble pronouncing "Zalman"?

Edit: title now fixed.

Last edited by dionb on 2019-09-26, 21:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would use a Zalman ZM80D-HP instead and pair that with the additional OP1 fan that can be run on a very low speed.

There's a manufacturer that did this combo officially on a 7900GT so it should be fine:
https://www.pressebox.de/pressemitteilung/com … nis/boxid/71418

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose the AGP variant is not listed under compatibility because the PCIe-AGP bridge chip will not make contact with the cooler and because the cooler will sit a bit odly on the card since the GPU is near the back end of the card.
I don't think the bridge chip needs active cooling but better get the datasheet and look up power figures. 😉

dionb wrote:

Er, that title looks a bit iffy... having trouble pronouncing "Zalman"?

Spelling, pronouncing - what's the difference, right? ;-P 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote:

I don't think the bridge chip needs active cooling but better get the datasheet and look up power figures. 😉

I my experience the bridge-chip get very hot if left with no airflow (like some card designs). I suspect a fair few of my dead PCI-E-to-AGP cards are from overheated bridge chips. Unfortunalty the XfX 7900 GS does not have a seperate small heatsink for the bridge chip, otherwise slapping a VF900 on it would work great. Maybe see if you have another heatsink that will fit the holes around the bridge chip.