First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

Recently I've got myself an Intel PRO/100 network card:

qG114oxm.jpg

and I'm trying to get it to work under DOS 6.22 so that I could mess with mTCP and ethflop.

I've found a copy of Crynwr.com driver (e100b11b.zip), but when I try to start it (e.g. e100bpkt 0x60), the whole system freezes after a "Chip self-test PASSED" and I need to reboot the system.

Note that the card is working perfectly under Windows 3.11 WFG with stock Intel drivers v24.2 and Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.

My specs are:

Intel Pentium 133 + 32MB RAM;
Intel Advanced/ATX motherboard with 430FX chipset;
Onboard S3 Trio64V+;
Onboard Crystal 4232 soundcard, set to IRQ5, DMA 1,5 and MPU disabled;
Keropi's MusicQuest clone card, set to IRQ2 and 330h.

All COM and LPT ports disabled as well as secondary IDE controller to ensure there are no IRQ conflicts. According to MSD the NIC uses IRQ10.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2019-10-28, 14:39. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would look for newer packet drivers from Intel. I know they were distributing them not too long ago.

(Yep ... DOS support. On relatively modern hardware.)

Reply 3 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe Intel only provides NDIS and ODI drivers. The Crynwr set has an EEPRO100 driver (look for E100BPKT.COM).
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … tml/crynwr.html

It'd be interesting to know what's causing this puppy to malfunction. PCI ID 8086:0003?

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2019-10-23, 02:41. Edited 2 times in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 10, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can't get a packet driver to work, try ODI or NDIS driver with appropriate converter, eg. ODIPKT.COM
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networ … er_installation

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:

This is where I got Win3.11 drivers, but there is nonpacket driver there unless I’m missing something

My bad - I think it my older age I remembered getting my Windows XP drivers from there, not the DOS packet drivers.

If you find a native packet driver be sure to post your results. I have a todo list that includes creating a mirror of the well known packet drivers so make this easier in the future.

Reply 8 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:
jheronimus wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:

This is where I got Win3.11 drivers, but there is nonpacket driver there unless I’m missing something

My bad - I think it my older age I remembered getting my Windows XP drivers from there, not the DOS packet drivers.

If you find a native packet driver be sure to post your results. I have a todo list that includes creating a mirror of the well known packet drivers so make this easier in the future.

I've been browsing older versions of Intel.com site, and it seems they actually had a deal with Crynwr and actually redirected people to their site. So I believe they didn't have a packet driver of their own.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did you try the other pro100 dos packet driver at ibiblio ?
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … ml/e100pkt.html

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 10, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

to clarify, the reason the e100bpkt driver didn't work on OPs card is that the driver is from 1996 and is made for 82557 (pro/100b, as per file name), while OPs card has the newer 82558 which is most likely pro/100+. the driver works fine on my 82557. the e100pkt is a 3rd party driver released in 2018 so it should support newer cards as well.