VOGONS

First post, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Sony Vaio PCV-120, with a 200mhz MMX Pentium CPU.
Iirc, the chipset is based on the 430HX. When using certain bios functions, the left/right arrows are supposed to change the line functions from enabled to disabled, etc. Some functions though, cause the entire system to hang up, and the PC speaker to start a steady state beep that continues until it's physically powered off.

I've had this wonky kind of thing happen with other PCs, and in those cases I found bad ram. Tried removing the ram, but it needs some to post. Tried two sticks alone in bank 0, no change. Ditto for just the other two in bank1.

The motherboard has a built in rage ii, but the output has had a connection problem that's gotten worse over time to the point of being nearly unusable. I installed a PCI rage pro card I have, and it works flawlessly. Keep in mind, the PC does work - win98se boots, finds all the right drivers, etc. but it's still a problem I want to figure out before something worse happens.

I don't want to be chasing after ghosts, so I'm wondering what the best order of operations is to start from. Anyone encounter this before?

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 2 of 2, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Over a year later....

Spoiler alert!

Nvm1 wins the internet.

Two kids, and other PC projects I have/had going put this on the back burner. After getting my p6-266 gateway working again, I came back to this project.

I decided to remove an old external 50pin SCSI ISA card, since there's nothing useful I have to go with it.
No Video card added, used the onboard video.

First fire up, i get

ATI-264GTB EDO(DUAL CYCLE) BIOS 3.032T

And it hangs.
I reseated all the SIMMs, no change.
So just for giggles I took the 2032 battery out.
Aaand I'm into the bios.

It will POST now, but won't boot from any media i use. I'm fairly sure that once I have a fresh battery, it will be fine.
I didn't think the battery would be bad, I just replaced it when I acquired it a few years ago. Cheap dollar store batteries. Never again.

Learn from my lesson! 🤣

Attachments

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.