VOGONS

First post, by Old PC Hunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a few of you on this fourm may know, I've been trying to make my 286 run at a faster clock speed this whole week. Well, I did that, and got it from 8 MHZ to 10 MHZ, and it runs stable under that, but I would like to push it to 12 or 16 MHZ because I bought oscillators for that. When I go up to 12 MHZ, I get memory errors. I figure to remove these errors I need to set a wait state. The chipset manual says I can set one wait state for memory and like 4 wait states for I/O. The motherboard has no jumpers for this. My computer's BIOS setup dosen't have many options, and setting a wait state is not one of them. It's an AST 286 BIOS, but through some digging I found it's actually a Award BIOS from 1989 but with AST branding. Software programs report it as an Award BIOS, and the setup menu looks very close to an Award setup screen except for the color scheme. I've tried multiple set up programs, including ones from AST, for their computers from the 286 Bravo (which I have) to their 386 machines, and the setup programs included are the exact same as what is on the computer already. I tried 3 generic programs. One of them acted like it could set a wait state, but no wait state was set. Maybe the board just can't set a wait state, but I'd like to try and find a setup program to set a wait state if possible. If anyone has a setup program for an AST or Award BIOS or a generic setup program that can set a wait state and you are willing to give the file, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Set up retro boxes:
DOS:286 10 MHZ/ET4000AX1MB/270 MB HDD/4 MB RAM/Adlib/80287 XL
W98:P2 450/Radeon 7000 64 MB/23 GB HDD/SB 16 clone/384 MB RAM
XP:ATHLON X2 6000+/2 GB RAM/Radeon X1900XTX/2x120 GB SSD/1x160 GB and 1x250 GB 7.2k HDD's/ECS A740 GM-M/SB X-Fi

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah since the forum upgrade can't find your original post about it. Even if the chipset allows adding memory wait states the logic circuits on the board may be missing to set the chipset wait states from the BIOS. Usually a PAL or 74xxx chip is involved and/or why there is a jumper (which you do not have) so the odds of a BIOS mod helping is nill. Without more info such as the actual chipset info, detailed images of your board and what exact BIOS version you are using you may be stuck. Most 8 or 10Mhz 286 boards just will not run at 16Mhz, it was never in the plan of the manufacturer or else they would have made it 12Mhz board... just my opinion.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun