VOGONS

First post, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, a few months ago I rescued this PC3 motherboard from my school, and it wasn't in the very best shape (missing components and bent pins).

Motherboard Photo

WUouUsM.jpg

I managed to replace all the missing parts at that time, except for the BIOS ROM and another large IC, which I couldn't find. Therefore, it sat in a box in my attic, never hoping I could ever fix it ... until recently. I discovered the "revolutionary" idea of reusing 2MB ROMs from Pentium motherboards. Thankfully, there is a fan-made Atari website out there and I managed to get hold of the required PC3 BIOS file, then I flashed it with a Pentium motherboard (had to make a file containing the code 8 times to get 2MB).

Then, magic happened:

adb8JCX.jpg

I managed to get it running with an AT keyboard and an Arduino Uno (thanks to the info that I found here)
So far, I'm getting a 601 error (floppy disk fail), likely because one of the required chips is missing (the floppy drive light blinks for a brief second during POST and that's all it does). The required chip is a 34D441 and it's almost impossible to find a replacement nowadays. I tried using a common ISA UMC floppy controller, but it gives the same result.

Is it possible to somehow bypass the internal floppy controller so I can use a external floppy controller ?

Reply 1 of 4, by PKubis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I found some chips in my archives. All new but not tested.

Best Regards

Reply 2 of 4, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PKubis wrote on 2021-04-05, 11:25:

Hello
I found some chips in my archives. All new but not tested.

Oh my god, I was not expecting anyone to still have them.
I would be interested to have one, send me an email.

EDIT: while I appreciate your intentions, make sure to avoid doing this on Vogons directly, it breaks the rules.

Last edited by computerguy08 on 2021-04-05, 12:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Careful, no selling in here

Reply 4 of 4, by PKubis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again

I found these chips many years ago (about 25) and I found them again during cleaning. I typed the part number in the Google search page, and this was one of the first results.
OK this is not selling offer but help from my side.

I can't find Your email (computerguy08) so I You want more information about my archive: piotr [dot] kubis [at] o2 [dot] pl

Best Regards