VOGONS

First post, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
A friend of mine was cleaning his attic and found among other stuff these 9 AMD 286 CPUs. And they look so cute, so tiny. I asked him for one, just for the looks (so cute and tiny). They should be the same, all 12mhz pieces...Which one do you think I should choose?
My interest for the time being to the 286 era is about just curiosity, no actual interest to build a system, and the cpu I will get will be put on on a frame for displaying purposes.

Thanks in Advance! 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there is a pic it didn't u/l. Following.

Reply 2 of 4, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, sorry my bad...!!!
Here is the photo: https://imgur.com/a/N7ksERI

(next to a 1 Euro Cent coin)

Reply 3 of 4, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are CLCC (Ceramic Leadless Chip Carrier) Am286-12s, pretty much your run-of-the-mill 286, nothing less, nothing more. Though that the CLCC variants seem to be on the uncommon side, and I'm not sure if they will even fit into a PLCC (Plastic Leadless Chip Carrier) socket.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 4, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

only for display purposes probably the one in the top left (bottom left if viewed correctly) as it seems to be in best shape and have a clean surface, though the ones with the large AMD logo also look nice ^^