VOGONS

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a Conner CFS425A hard drive I want to install in one of my machines and it has these three pins in the back of which I don't know the function.

vWNK2mC.jpg

At first I thought they would be related to channel select, but that's done with these other pins at the front, according to the specs at computerhope.

1Frretz.jpg

So, does anybody know what they are for?

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are for us to wonder why ! hahaa just kidding, according to the Conner pdf the 3 pin is for "optional 3pin power connector (not used)", the odd 9 pin off from the DM/DS/CS are some sort of serial in/out not described as to what they are used for though usually 2 of the pins are for the drive LED (on old HD's where the HD controller did not have a activity LED).
you can check the manual here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 1&menustate=0,0

gdjacobs wrote on 2020-02-19, 02:46:

Not sure. They might be used at the factory.

Yes I think you are right about the odd pins being used for some factory purpose.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Front end is jumpers for master/slave and CS, The oddball 3 pin is power feed using 5V and 12V, ground. That drive was Conner then bought out by Seagate and kept using that design for awhile.

Conner drives (any) was slow as hell due to ATA IC so slow at transfer and latency via this chip is high due to cirrus logic ATA IC, Conner used same for long time, I had two 200MB, one Quantum and other one Conner, Quantum was faster by far, even I had IBM 270MB also quick as well.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 4, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, cool, so it will work without the need to plug anything there. I know the drive is not very fast, but I was going to throw it in a 486. It should be fast enough for 1990-1994 DOS, I'd hope! I also have a 1GB Samsung drive, but that one feels a bit less interesting. The computer came with a 125MB hard drive, so everything feels like an upgrade.