VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I hooked up my Zida 4DPS in a new case after not using it for four years (I had a motorcycle accident.) There was no picture or beeps. I reseated everything and wondered if I put something in backwards (CF-IDE adapter or the PS2 mouse adapter.)

Now I get either continuous beeps or nothing. Needless to say I am stressed out because it has taken me years to collect these parts and I'm not in a good position to replace things, especially of it is the mainboard, and I have absolutely no spare RAM or CPUs lying around anymore.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great. Also, if anyone has one of these boards with the mouse connected to the board, can you post a pic? When I bought this, it was before my accident and I had to use a multimeter to change the wires around with the only PS-mobo adapter I had. There is a NC and perhaps I put it back on the board wrong and fried something.

Thank you. I'll check back, but off to ebay I go, and hopefully will find something not too expensive. I will try 86 box, but it just isn't the same, and I have certain cards that I want to use.

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have tons of experience with the Zida product line, but from my admittedly small sample size, they seem to be prone to failure. Too bad because they're absolutely adorable little boards. This could be entirely my own bad luck though.

But let's not bury it before time of death is called. Unplug everything but the CPU, RAM, and video card. Try to boot. Any luck?

Pull the CMOS battery. If there's a memory-clear jumper (check the manual -- you can still find them online), short it. Otherwise wait ten minutes. Then, normalize the jumpers and put a fresh battery in. Try booting again.

Remove all but one RAM stick. Actually, remove them all and re-seat one of them. Yes no?

If that doesn't change anything, having spare parts will help. Most of all a spare motherboard. Failing that, any of: spare RAM, PSU, video card.

Reply 2 of 11, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beeps are important.. what is the pattern and timing of them? Also, you can insert a POST Diagnostic Card to see what it is getting hung up on at boot.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 11, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-26, 22:06:
I don't have tons of experience with the Zida product line, but from my admittedly small sample size, they seem to be prone to f […]
Show full quote

I don't have tons of experience with the Zida product line, but from my admittedly small sample size, they seem to be prone to failure. Too bad because they're absolutely adorable little boards. This could be entirely my own bad luck though.

But let's not bury it before time of death is called. Unplug everything but the CPU, RAM, and video card. Try to boot. Any luck?

Pull the CMOS battery. If there's a memory-clear jumper (check the manual -- you can still find them online), short it. Otherwise wait ten minutes. Then, normalize the jumpers and put a fresh battery in. Try booting again.

Remove all but one RAM stick. Actually, remove them all and re-seat one of them. Yes no?

If that doesn't change anything, having spare parts will help. Most of all a spare motherboard. Failing that, any of: spare RAM, PSU, video card.

I pulled the battery and waited, and reseated the CPU. I tried both RAM sticks, one each in each slot. At one point, I got the beeping, bit only in the top slot. Now with one or both sticks in place, the beeping is gone, but still no boot/picture. I have a spare video card, but I lack a spare CPU and RAM.

Last edited by Scythifuge on 2020-02-26, 22:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 11, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-26, 22:25:

Beeps are important.. what is the pattern and timing of them? Also, you can insert a POST Diagnostic Card to see what it is getting hung up on at boot.

They were continuous beeps: beep - one second - beep- one second - and so on. Now there are no beeps, and no picture.

Reply 5 of 11, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-02-26, 22:33:

They were continuous beeps: beep - one second - beep- one second - and so on. Now there are no beeps, and no picture.

If yours is running an Award BIOS, that is usually a memory failure beep code.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 11, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-02-26, 23:34:
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-02-26, 22:33:

If yours is running an Award BIOS, that is usually a memory failure beep code.

It is an Award bios. I don't know what could have happened. I may try buying a ram replacement first - since it is the cheapest option, and go from there. I am getting no beeps now, no matter what I do, which is how it started - no beeps - fiddle with it -beeps -fiddle with it - no beeps.

I forgot to mention that I am using an ATX-AT PSU adapter, but there is power, so I don't think that that is the issue. There is no electrical smell or any other apparent issue. I wonder if something could have happened to the bios chip, but I don't have a replacement or a puller.

I may be screwed. There are no cheap options that I can find on ebay, and of course I don't know what all needs replaced or what caused the malfunction, so I probably need to try to get a mobo/ram/cpu combo. I have though about getting a 1st gen Pentium, but this nostalgia box was supposed to be a supped up end-of-run 486 for all of my DOS/Win 3.x needs. I know I could use a Pentium and something like Moslo Deluxe, though it isn't the same, and I may not have a choice if I still want to use my AWE32 and MPU cards. I have a modern PC with a 1080 Ti, but the nostalgia bug hit me hard and I wasn't enjoying it and really was looking forward to using the 486 box and even put everything in a nice HTPC case.

What a depressing bummer. I have a PII Win98 box. I may put the CF cards in that and use molso for now. Someone sold a CH flightsick with pedals and throttle for super cheap on ebay and I ordered that before finding out about my 486 woes. I am going to eventually have to suck it up and use 86box with my main rig and hope that the AWE32 emulation is good, and use usb adapters for the gameport and MT-32 stuff. I wish I had a lot of capitol, because I see people making new but simple cards to replace old things. I would look into producing ISA, PCI, Gameport etc. hardware for people like us. We could use the stuff in tandem with 86box/DOSBox. Maybe even compatible CPUs from the era...

Reply 8 of 11, by DJonekill

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! New here! I just wanted to chime in for future reference. I have the same exact motherboard and stumbled on the exact same problem. As suggested by wiretap, the 1 second beep interval was a memory problem. What solved it was scrubbing the simm contact traces with q tips and alcohol (edit: the simms themselves, not the motherboard). Apparently they were really dirty. Now it works again! Thanks for this thread!

Reply 9 of 11, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming You don't have EDO ram installed. It only supports FPM.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 11 of 11, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't have an eeprom flasher you may use your PII board to "update" the eeprom.
Otherwise as already stated - cleaning, reseating/fpm-ram, flashing the BIOS & acquiring a diagnostic card may do the trick.