VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello ! I have bought a bunch of these cards thinking they were CGA cards at first glance.
reJh2jml.jpg
But after testing, it's definitely not outputing video.

What could it be ? A MPU401 ?
If so, could it be roland MT32 compatible ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 16, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say it would be another of those intelligent MPU-401 clones, now to find the pinout of the port...

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any bug free, ISA midi card is useful, intelligent mode or not. And you could easily run MUNT on another device and connect this to it using midi2usb adapter. Thankfully awesome people here have made clones of cards like this, but an original would be quite sought after still.

Reply 5 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool. I have a nice collection of intelligent mode midi cards.

How many of those did you buy.. and at was crazy low price did you get them for?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are indeed intelligent mode compatible midi interfaces, I don't remember atm what games do not work with it (maybe some legend ones? Or wing commander?) but it's way way better than no intelligent mpu at all 😁
Good find!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-09, 01:26:

Very cool. I have a nice collection of intelligent mode midi cards.

How many of those did you buy.. and at was crazy low price did you get them for?

3-4 of them iirc, and 50€ for the lot they came with (27 mobos, video cards, etc)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2020-03-09, 05:24:

I don't remember atm what games do not work with it

Laser Squad and some of the titles from Legend Entertainment (Gateway, Homeworld, Eric the Unready, etc) are the biggest trolls when it comes to normal mode MIDI compatibility. Try those if you want to know what works or doesn't.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's indeed the MM-401 version. There's another MidiMan ISA card that is merely a serial MIDI interface (i.e. it combines a serial controller and a MIDI interface on a single card so none of your existing serial ports get obstructed).

Reply 11 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm back home, and here's all the cards I have
aAUYzb7l.jpg
NEdODq5l.jpg
I swear I had a 4th card, but I can't find it ... maybe my memory is flaky ...

Anyways, the last card is different as you can see, but on the broken sticker on the intel chip I can still read "midi"

Reply 12 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm bumping this one year old thread because now I have a midi device so I can test them ... Or I could if I knew the pinout of that DB9 connector ...

I found this on vogons, but I have no idea if it's the right one : Re: Intelligent mode MPU-401 and how it's utilised.

Does anyone around here have one of these card with the cable ? Unless someone comes up with a pinout, I think I'm gonna check it with a multimeter to see if the pinout seems to match and if it does, then I'll make my own cable.

Reply 13 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just checked my stash and I do have an mm-401 with the cable.

I'll try to check the pinout in the next day or two.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 16, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one on my desk, with the cable:

IMG20210328113745.jpg
Filename
IMG20210328113745.jpg
File size
731.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'll trace it for you now.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 15 of 16, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MM401-Pinout.jpg
Filename
MM401-Pinout.jpg
File size
744.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

9 Pin D-SUB / Connection
1 -> Out 2
2 -> N/C
3 -> N/C
4 -> In 6
5 -> In 2
6 -> Out 4
7 -> NC
8 -> NC
9 -> In 4

The D-Sub shell doesn't appear to have any connectivity.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 16 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you very much 😀

I have ordered the connectors. Now I'm waiting for them to arrive.