VOGONS

First post, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I recently aquired a BAT format P55T2P4 rev 2.3 board. I've inserted known good P133 and known good PS2 RAM modules (they work in another 430VX based board just fine). The board is jumpered correctly for this CPU and the onboard cache. Yet it gives me the dreaded long beep error code indicating a RAM problem.

I'm pretty confident something is broken on the board. I've not found anything obvious yet, though.

Has anyone of you had any experiences with typical hardware defects that would cause bogus RAM errors?

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 3, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RAM incompatibilities are very common with old hardware like that. I've had lots of similar situation where all components were fine but wouldn't work together. I would not be too sure of a hardware defect.
Have you tried different modules yet?

Most probable hardware defects include physical defects like broken traces, bad solder joints and mechanical damage.

Other than that you could try and flash a newer BIOS to the board's EEPROM hoping they fixed known RAM issues.

Reply 2 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pull the cache if it is in the socket and try again. Also either matched set of two FPM 70ns or 60ns. Or EDO 60ns 72 pin matched set. Not mixed brands/size.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 3, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK this is getting embarassing now...

Turned out this BAT board was missing a screw hole where the old BAT board had one. So when mounting the board, I've shorted out some pins of the RAM sockets with a screw post under the board. So it was a kind of hardware fault after all 😉

Board still works. Now I've got to figure out how to get that COAST module to work....

Thanks a lot anyways!