VOGONS

First post, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bought this antec tx635 case that was supposed to be new but, obviously is not.
the top half of the bezel looks perfect.
the bottom half, not so much.
i might have decided to keep it if both halves were equally yellow but this messes with my ocd way too much.
makes me sad 8-(

antec.tx635.jpg

Reply 1 of 14, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Different types of plastic probably... in fact what you see there is rather common on SNES consoles, some parts get awfully yellow, but others keep the original color.

Maybe it is indeed unused and just yellowed as part of the aging process... even though there is a lot of speculation, I think no one knows with 100% certainty why the yellowing occurs.

Reply 2 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Presuming the lower half is a (removable) hinged door, given the perfect colour change match to the shut-line and was probably stuck on a ledge out of the way somewhere but in sunlight.

Reply 3 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Inherent in ABS plastics, made worse by bromide flame retardants.

It can be exacerbated by sunlight, but can also occur to NOS stuff that has spent 25 years in a closed box in a closet in a dark room.

Live with it, things with no plastic or better plastics (PBT), or dive into the world of retrobrite.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-05-28, 21:15:

Presuming the lower half is a (removable) hinged door, given the perfect colour change match to the shut-line and was probably stuck on a ledge out of the way somewhere but in sunlight.

And get such a perfect line between parts? Nope, this is just two different plastics.

Reply 4 of 14, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for doing something against your OCD, plastic spraypaint does exist. You may even be able to find the dullest shade of beige.

Reply 5 of 14, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yellowing can and has occured when a system is completely out the sun. Depends on the chemical make up of the panels really

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wirerogue wrote on 2020-05-28, 20:41:

i might have decided to keep it if both halves were equally yellow but this messes with my ocd way too much.

People with OCD should not be messing with old computer (or car or ***) hardware. Not saying there is nothing wrong with wanting it to be New looking after decades but if you really have issues with old stuff looking old then maybe you need to find a different hobby. Just do not go to coin collecting as all silver coins do tarnish with age, and removing that tarnish dramatically cuts the value, not adds to it 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-05-28, 20:54:

Different types of plastic probably... in fact what you see there is rather common on SNES consoles, some parts get awfully yellow, but others keep the original color.

I have a PS1 SCPH-1002 with the same issue. Top half is perfect, bottom half has yellowed badly. On an early SCPH-5002, the three buttons on top have yellowed, while the rest is still perfect. Really odd sometimes.

Reply 8 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-29, 07:13:

[...]

I have a PS1 SCPH-1002 with the same issue. Top half is perfect, bottom half has yellowed badly. On an early SCPH-5002, the three buttons on top have yellowed, while the rest is still perfect. Really odd sometimes.

It's pretty famous with vintage keyboards. High-end keyboards tended to have PBT keys, but in the past is wasn't possible to do big space bars in PBT so they were made with ABS. When new you don't really notice the difference, but after 25 years:

vintage-silicon-graphics-granite-101_1_035b423c58dde99919a90fb4ace9f8a4.jpg

Reply 9 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Sun keyboard with a yellowed space bar as well. Not a single PC keyboard with that issue, though.

Reply 10 of 14, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would retrobrite it if you like it or it has value to you.

Edit: Here is one like yours that I restored...

IMG_2804.jpg
IMG_2798.jpg
Last edited by SuperSirLink on 2020-05-29, 12:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-29, 08:05:

I have a Sun keyboard with a yellowed space bar as well. Not a single PC keyboard with that issue, though.

Oh, there are enough, take a look at this Dell:
800px-Dell_GYIAT101-102_front.JPG
And yes, I know it's basically the same Alps board as the SGI I posted before, but it happens on unrelated boards too -

Here's an IBM P70 keyboard:
800px-IBM_23F3216_front.JPG

Or here's another one from my collection, a Cherry-made Deko FastAction Keyboard:
Nfh1ervAJyGPZywJRN1qLIZZ.png
That model M space bar is also marginally yellower than the rest of the keys for the same reason

Basically the main reason this is rare with PC keyboards is that they tended to be low-end all-ABS designs anyway. It's only with PBT keycaps that you run into this issue. Apple keyboards were famous for their quality (at least, prior to Jobs' return and the plastic fantastic starting with the iMac), with good Alps switches and nice white PBT keycaps - and after a few decades invariably yellow cases and space bars because they were ABS.

Reply 12 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

even though there is a lot of speculation, I think no one knows with 100% certainty why the yellowing occurs.

There are some clear examples of yellowing due to prolonged exposure to high temperature/sun rays. Common light grey Dreamcast and white Saturn (Japan revision 2) consoles for example.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 14, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which means nothing, as yellowing can also happen when storing stuff in a cold and wet basement with no sun light at all.

It should be pretty obvious by now that heat and sun light speed up the process, just like it does when retro-brighting to undo the effect. But while speeding it up, neither heat nor sun light are the cause for the yellowing. The pure exposure to oxygen is enough to cause yellowing.

Reply 14 of 14, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where did you buy this from? I see your so cal as am I, that would make a great case for a be6-ii build I started collecting parts for.