VOGONS

First post, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have been keeping this in storage for many years, recently dug out to play with it a little. It has onboard ATI 3D Rage Pro graphics and ESS Solo-1 audio chips, an ISA slot, and has PC/PCI header, so it can be completely stand alone as a retro gaming PC. I'm using a fanless PIII-733 with it and it's extremely quiet when power on. The shortcomings are the lack of AGP slot, and it doesn't seem to like CPUs greater than 800MHz. The CPU frequency and multiplier settings are completely auto. I'd tried putting 1GHz coppermine in a Slotket in it but the frequency just won't go over 800MHz (vs the Abit BH6 that I have that will accept it). (Turned out it was because I forgot to set the jumpers properly)

Motherboard: Asus P2B-VM
Form Factor: micro-ATX
Chipset: 440BX + PIIX4E
RAM type: PC100 (max 768MB)
BIOS: 1014 Beta 03
Onboard Graphics: ATI 3D Rage Pro
Onboard Audio: ESS Solo-1

IMG_20200614_154823a.jpg
Last edited by kalohimal on 2020-06-17, 06:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 1 of 6, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice board! It'd be good for a PCI Voodoo build too.

Re CPU multiplier - is there no jumpers on the board itself? My 440BX Supermicro board needs physical jumpers changing as per each CPU supported.

Xeon E3-1241v3 - 16GB DDR3 - Vega 56 - W10
PII 450MHz - 256MB SDRAM - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - W98SE

Reply 2 of 6, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
moawkwrd wrote on 2020-06-14, 12:34:

Nice board! It'd be good for a PCI Voodoo build too.

Re CPU multiplier - is there no jumpers on the board itself? My 440BX Supermicro board needs physical jumpers changing as per each CPU supported.

Yes, adding a PCI Voodoo card would be nice! I have one in storage too, perhaps one day I should dig it up and build with this board into a case.

And you're right about the jumpers! I kept thinking about soft-CPU settings in BIOS as I was so spoilt by Abit BH6. There is indeed a section in the manual talking about the frequency and multiplier settings. Think I shall try it out later.

asus p2b.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure the CPU is really running at 800MHz instead of the 1000MHz?
It might just be a display bug. Iirc Coppermines of that era had multiplier locks, so they couldn't be set to run at any other frequency this way.
You should be able to check the performance of the CPU by running some benchmarks. Even SuperPi should suffice.

This board reminds me a lot of the ASUS MEL-C and MEL-M boards. Used to run such a board with the onboard Solo-1 and a PCI TNT2-M64 to great content.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got time to test it out, it's the jumpers setting that I forgot about, haha 😀 Now running with a Celeron 1100MHz with 100MHz fsb so no overclocking of the chipset is needed.

IMG_20200617_135420a.jpg

Reply 5 of 6, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-15, 12:46:
Are you sure the CPU is really running at 800MHz instead of the 1000MHz? It might just be a display bug. Iirc Coppermines of tha […]
Show full quote

It might just be a display bug. Iirc Coppermines of that era had multiplier locks, so they couldn't be set to run at any other frequency this way.
You should be able to check the performance of the CPU by running some benchmarks. Even SuperPi should suffice.

This board reminds me a lot of the ASUS MEL-C and MEL-M boards. Used to run such a board with the onboard Solo-1 and a PCI TNT2-M64 to great content.

At that time I was using the Coppermine P3-1GHz, with fsb of 133MHz x7.5. Because I forgot about the jumper which was set at 100MHz, 100x7.5 resulting in 750MHz 🤣.

Reply 6 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kalohimal wrote on 2020-06-17, 06:04:
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-15, 12:46:
Are you sure the CPU is really running at 800MHz instead of the 1000MHz? It might just be a display bug. Iirc Coppermines of tha […]
Show full quote

At that time I was using the Coppermine P3-1GHz, with fsb of 133MHz x7.5. Because I forgot about the jumper which was set at 100MHz, 100x7.5 resulting in 750MHz 🤣.

Odd then for it to display 800MHz instead of 750MHz. A 1GHz Coppermine running at 750MHz is a dead giveaway at what the problem is 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!