VOGONS

First post, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. im not sure i did the good choice, the seller offer me the same price deal for this Lucky star or for this 4DPS Ver 2.0 that have native ps/2 support
( or SS 486 REV: P2CI) If possible tell me which one you prefer, he didnt ship yet ? Thanks! I choose Lucky star because it has 4 ram dimm and i like what i read on vogons forums in some topics about this Lucky Star motherboard . But maybe 4PDS ver 2.0 was the better motherboard. Both have Sis 496/497 chipset.

(Edit: He just shipped it, but i still want your opinion guys. Thanks.)

( Right now i only have a Intel dx2-50 and dx2-66mhz cpu, i will buy a dx4-100 or 5x86 soon, dx2-66 is still great for old dos games)

2. Where can i find the last bios motherboard ?
( i already found the manual for C2 revision)
I download one there but i dont know the source at all and the version:
http://sannata.ru/bios/486PCI/
(LS486E-C.RAR)
On my eBay auction, the seller post a picture of the boot screen, bios date version is 03/14/96

3. I read that older bios of the motherboard dont support more than 2.1gb but more recent bios support larger disk than 2.1gb. Right now i have a 4.3gb, a 12gb, a 20gb with 2.1gb limit jumper and 40gb and 60gb. Could i get this board working with any of them ? and tell me please if this 2.1gb limit jumper would really work with the 2ogb? Thanks.

4. I still hesitate to contact him to exchamge the board for the 4PDS. I cant remember from 20 years ago if a PS/2 mouse is really much better than a serial mouse ? Is a serial mouse more sluggish, slow, laging.. I fear serial mouse right now. I dont have problem with the track ball ps/2 mouse i use, so i suppose i can live without optical mouse. Thanks for your opinion.

5. Can i use the psu power supply unit from my Compaq Presario Pentium II 266mhz computer to test the Lucky Star motherboard. Its the only AT PSU 2 x 6 pins connector that i have right now. I have like 10-12 atx psu too. I fear that Compaq psu use different cable position, i dont want to burn the motherboard.

6. I just post this in the native PS2 mouse topic, but i think i should ask it here:

I read all the topic. I just bought a luckystar ls486e rev c1 sis496/497 on eBay. It doesnt have ps/2 support. ( I think keyboard controller is Via VT82C41N and i think it could have PS/2 support because VT82C416 has it in datasheet) (VT82C41N datasheet cant be found anywhere) The motherboard has 2 places with solders points and pins(J2) that could be PS/2 port. If i solder a PS/2 port on it, Could i use TSR ps2suppc.com to try the mouse instead of the bios mod ? Thanks for answer.

Did someone succeed To get a ps/2 mouse working on this motherboard yet with the bios mod or the TSR with the original VT82C41N ? Maybe we just need to find if the 5 solders points or 4-pins (j2) can get it working with a ps/2 mouse.

(In this topic a person did want a ps/2 on the same Lucky star motherboard than mine, but he didnt experiment for a long time:
LuckyStar LS486E rev.C2 and Cyrix 5x86@133

THANKS SO MUCH for answers !

Last edited by renejr902 on 2020-09-25, 10:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 09:34:

3. I read that older bios of the motherboard dont support more than 2.1gb but more recent bios support larger disk than 2.1gb. Right now i have a 4.3gb, a 12gb, a 20gb with 2.1gb limit jumper and 40gb and 60gb. Could i get this board working with any of them ? and tell me please if this 2.1gb limit jumper would really work with the 2ogb? Thanks.

The 2.1GB jumper on the 2GB drive is supposed to solve exactly the problem you are facing. The drive reports 2.1GB to the BIOS, so the BIOS does not get confused by the big drive. Likely you can use disk manager software to make the whole drive accessible from within DOS.

4. I still hesitate to contact him to exchamge the board for the 4PDS. I cant remember from 20 years ago if a PS/2 mouse is really much better than a serial mouse ? Is a serial mouse more sluggish, slow, laging.. I fear serial mouse right now. I dont have problem with the track ball ps/2 mouse i use, so i suppose i can live without optical mouse. Thanks for your opinion.

The PS/2 port has two main advantages over the serial port. The main advantage to most people is that the PS/2 port provides enough power for a standard optical mouse, so you don't have to worry about cleaning the ball and the rollers of a ball-based mouse any more. Another advantage of PS/2 mice is that most serial mice operate at a verly low data rate, reducing the reports of mouse positions per second significantly below 60. So if you smoothly move your mouse, you still get a jerky movement of the mouse cursor on the screen. This behaviour is especially frowned upon by people that previously used Amiga or Atari hardware, as those computers could read the mouse position synchronously with the screen refresh. As far as I remember, Logitech MouseMan mice using their native protocol offered to run at a higher baud rate, so you can get smooth operation with them.

If you do not care about being able to use off-the-shelf optical mice, and you either have a MouseMan or don't care about slight jerkyness of the pointer, you can go without a PS/2 port.

5. Can i use the psu power supply unit from my Compaq Presario Pentium II 266mhz computer to test the Lucky Star motherboard. Its the only AT PSU 2 x 6 pins connector that i have right now. I have like 10-12 atx psu too. I fear that Compaq psu use different cable position, i dont want to burn the motherboard.

Compaq often used proprietary pinouts. I suggest you to compare wire colors with those of a standard AT power supply. If they mostly match up, and the label of the supply does not mention any strange voltages, you are most likely fine to go. Even if they don't match up, it still might fit. I remember some Compaq hardware using orange instead of yellow on the +12V line. You can easily identify the colors used for +5V and +12V if you take a look at the Molex connectors for hard drives / CDROMs. AFAIK Compaq never used a proprietary pinout of the Molex supply connectors.

Reply 2 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for this 4DPS Ver 2.0 that have native ps/2 support
( or SS 486 REV: P2CI)

From my point of view they are more or less equal. LuckyStar has 6 functional extension slots (3 PCI + 3 ISA ) without PS/2 support, but you can use one slot for ISA PS/2 adapter. 4DPS Ver 2.0 has PS/2 but only 5 functional slots, because PCI and ISA are shared. So only 3 PCI + 2 ISA or 2 PCI + 3 ISA are possible. For extreme overclocking I would pick LuckyStar LS-486E Rev. C1/C2 with specific chipset revision, because they are well documented for their capabilities.

bios date version is 03/14/96

8Gb HDD aware.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 9, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2020-09-25, 10:04:
The 2.1GB jumper on the 2GB drive is supposed to solve exactly the problem you are facing. The drive reports 2.1GB to the BIOS, […]
Show full quote

The 2.1GB jumper on the 2GB drive is supposed to solve exactly the problem you are facing. The drive reports 2.1GB to the BIOS, so the BIOS does not get confused by the big drive. Likely you can use disk manager software to make the whole drive accessible from within DOS.

The PS/2 port has two main advantages over the serial port. The main advantage to most people is that the PS/2 port provides enough power for a standard optical mouse, so you don't have to worry about cleaning the ball and the rollers of a ball-based mouse any more. Another advantage of PS/2 mice is that most serial mice operate at a verly low data rate, reducing the reports of mouse positions per second significantly below 60. So if you smoothly move your mouse, you still get a jerky movement of the mouse cursor on the screen. This behaviour is especially frowned upon by people that previously used Amiga or Atari hardware, as those computers could read the mouse position synchronously with the screen refresh. As far as I remember, Logitech MouseMan mice using their native protocol offered to run at a higher baud rate, so you can get smooth operation with them.

If you do not care about being able to use off-the-shelf optical mice, and you either have a MouseMan or don't care about slight jerkyness of the pointer, you can go without a PS/2 port.

Compaq often used proprietary pinouts. I suggest you to compare wire colors with those of a standard AT power supply. If they mostly match up, and the label of the supply does not mention any strange voltages, you are most likely fine to go. Even if they don't match up, it still might fit. I remember some Compaq hardware using orange instead of yellow on the +12V line. You can easily identify the colors used for +5V and +12V if you take a look at the Molex connectors for hard drives / CDROMs. AFAIK Compaq never used a proprietary pinout of the Molex supply connectors.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-25, 11:19:
From my point of view they are more or less equal. LuckyStar has 6 functional extension slots (3 PCI + 3 ISA ) without PS/2 supp […]
Show full quote

From my point of view they are more or less equal. LuckyStar has 6 functional extension slots (3 PCI + 3 ISA ) without PS/2 support, but you can use one slot for ISA PS/2 adapter. 4DPS Ver 2.0 has PS/2 but only 5 functional slots, because PCI and ISA are shared. So only 3 PCI + 2 ISA or 2 PCI + 3 ISA are possible. For extreme overclocking I would pick LuckyStar LS-486E Rev. C1/C2 with specific chipset revision, because they are well documented for their capabilities.

8Gb HDD aware.

Thanks a lot for answers guys! Its so much appreciated and useful ! I didnt know about the PS/2 isa card possibility. Then i prefer Lucky Star, but i'm curious, it seems 4dps support 40gb with 4.00a bios version, its impressive for a 486.

Reply 4 of 9, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-25, 11:19:
From my point of view they are more or less equal. LuckyStar has 6 functional extension slots (3 PCI + 3 ISA ) without PS/2 supp […]
Show full quote

8Gb HDD aware.

I just think about it. Did you try to get the PS/2 mice working with the J2 4pins on your luckystar ls486e motherboard. If you use ps2suppc.com before cutemouse driver, you dont have to mod your bios to support ps/2. If you decide to try it let me know if its work. Otherwise i will try it in a few weeks when i receive it. The PS/2 pinout could be at the 5 solders points on the motherboard too.
I know you already have a isa PS/2 card but i'm interested to know it if ps/2 can be working directly on it. Let me know if you try something. Thanks.

Reply 6 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 13:26:

I just think about it. Did you try to get the PS/2 mice working with the J2 4pins on your luckystar ls486e motherboard. If you use ps2suppc.com before cutemouse driver, you dont have to mod your bios to support ps/2. If you decide to try it let me know if its work. Otherwise i will try it in a few weeks when i receive it. The PS/2 pinout could be at the 5 solders points on the motherboard too.
I know you already have a isa PS/2 card but i'm interested to know it if ps/2 can be working directly on it. Let me know if you try something. Thanks.

J2 is extremely likely not a PS/2 mouse connector, but a connector for an external CMOS battery. I seem to identify a trace from J2 to a diode, possibly via a resistor. Diodes are very common at the external battery connector, but the typical PS/2 interface has ferrite beads/inductors, capacitors and pull-up resistors, no diodes.

Reply 7 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but a connector for an external CMOS battery

Yes, that's typical placement for external battery.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 9, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for let me know. Only the 5 solder points at CN5 could be for ps/2. But it seems they go at the Winbond chip, if its true its not good. 😀

Thanks so much for answers guys! Its appreciated!

Reply 9 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
renejr902 wrote on 2020-09-25, 16:30:

Thanks for let me know. Only the 5 solder points at CN5 could be for ps/2. But it seems they go at the Winbond chip, if its true its not good. 😀

If they go to a a Winbond chip, my guess would be IrDA. Double so if the BIOS setup allows COM2 to be configured into infrared mode.