VOGONS

First post, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up one of these cards but information on it is seemingly impossible to come by .

I did find an old thread here - Sharedware Savage and have also downloaded the drivers from here but I'm having problems.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the card as I'm struggling to get mine working. The drivers and software install fine and the card is seemingly working. It detects the keyboard and mouse plus I get an image on the second monitor (blue screen with powered by applica logo) but each time I try to start the sharedware software it throws the error "error starting station". Help suggests "The hardware was not initialised properly as the computer started up due to some other problem"

I'm hoping its a software problem rather than hardware as I really want to see just how this card works . From what I've read the software seems to work by creating a separate user account and seemingly having both users logged in on the single machine. I've tried creating 2 users in windows 98 but it makes no difference.

The system in particular is a Pentium 2 350mhz, 128mb ram, voodoo3, SB Live and running Windows 98. I might try a reinstall of windows on this rig as its my test bed for older cards so has had a variety of drivers installed over the years, maybe something is fudging it up but I'd be keen to here from anyone with experience on the sharedware. One thing in particular I'd love to get is a printed manual or an ISO of the CD that came with it.

Reply 1 of 2, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So a bit of progress. The savage seemingly didn't like sitting beside the soundblaster live as when I removed that it started working, sort of...

AZdrING.jpg

The monitor on the left is the output from the Savage. That's meant to be a black desktop. I can launch games etc and they seem to run fine below those red lines but I can't seem to get rid of them. My first thought would be a bad ram chip but I wondered given the age of this thing could it maybe be capacitors?

Reply 2 of 2, by Unite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've settled on the fact its a bad ram chip. Question is though where am I going to get replacement chips from. I'll probably have to scavenge from another card, would any 2mb sdram chips work? Reason I ask is I can't find much using the part number on the chips: 0316169CT3D 10 01L2305 IBM 1452 935501570 PQ.