VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have chance to buy FIreGL 8800 which is based on slightly overclocked 8500, is this something to play for fun with or avoid it? Cost is not that bad.

If I pay bit more, 9800pro are easier to get but I'll keep in mind about the shim to pop off and improve quality of cooling.

Otherwise I have nvidia cards for AGP stashed away in preparation for retro gaming that I finished purchases while ago.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on what OS you are planning on using it with, but in the early 2000s ATI was really killing it.

Both the Radeon 8500 and 9800 Pro are very good cards (I myself have an 8500LE, 9800 Pro and an X800XT AGP). The R400 is also an awesome series, the last and fastest graphics cards with proper W98 drivers, but also fast in early-to-mid XP, up until about 2006. In later games the absence of SM3.0 support can spoil the experience. For that the R500 was very competitive as well. I often see X1950 Pros for a decent price. The Rage6/Radeon DDR was also a decent Geforce 2 competitor on the late drivers.

For budget builds, Radeon 7200 64MB (basically a Radeon DDR) Radeon 9100 (also essentially an 8500LE), 9600 Pro/XT and X700 are generally cheap. I also have good experience with the RV410 based 128bit/256MB X1050 (esentially an X700 Pro).

Where they can be lacking is some 90's legacy support which they generally dropped before Nvidia.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 6, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think most people should stay away from 8500 though. Unless interested in Truform. They are the only hardware accelerated Truform chips. Though frankly Truform is very limited in value. You basically need to do side by side screenshot comparisons to see the difference.

Otherwise they seem like buggy chips. The antialiasing is slow and really glitchy as to whether it will work or even stay enabled. Texture filtering is terrible compared to Radeon R300 and newer cards. They also tend to be touchy about AGP compatibility.

Pixel Shader 1.4 support was an interesting curiosity but apparently the chip had some oversights in internal caches so it doesn't perform particularly well with it. I think this came up with Doom3.

A FireGL 8800 is likely to have even more game quirks and likely to have reduced performance from its drivers being intended for professional modeling software.

Last edited by swaaye on 2021-03-25, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never used a Radeon 8500 or 9800, but have used Radeon 9600s quite extensively including playing games like AVP2, BF2142 and also older games like The Lost Vikings 2, Imperialism 2, Total Annihilation with it along with undoubtly many more games I can't remember atm.

If money is not much of an issue for you and you have some (unspecified) NVidia cards as backup, then why not just get it and try it and report back to us?:P

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 6, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would go for the 9800pro. Haven't had any problems with a shim, I believe that was a 9700pro issue. But with the 9800pro, you can run all Win98 games with AA+AF.

For a cheaper and cooler running alternative, try a Radeon 9600pro or xt. Still plenty fast, but less heat.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718