VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First off, I'm positive that the strangeness I am seeing is something to do with the configuration I have, but I have been unable to identify it and correct it. I am hoping asking about it here will get some suggestions that will fix what I am seeing. The specifications of the machine are as follows

AMD-K6-III+ at 450MHz (not overclocked)
Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 on F4 BIOS
128MB of CAS2 PC-100 SDRAM
32GB SD Card with SD to IDE Adapter
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI card (I think the BIOS says LC, but it flashes by so fast)
Turtle Beach Montego II Quadzilla Soundcard
Windows 98 SE

Okay, I was having very strange issues where I would attempt to boot into DOS and the machine would immediately lock up when attempting to run anything. It seems to have something to do with the AU30DOS SB pro TSR. Disable that and things run okay. I had a Diamond Monster Sound MX400 back in the day with my K6-2 350 and the follow up the K6-III 400 and I don't recall running into that issue, so I am at a loss on that one. But this strangeness is specifically with the video card. Now I am using the DOS Benchmark from Phil's Computer Lab, which I think is an excellent tool to check things, and it's very strange. Now I expect there to be a falloff when switching from 320x240 to 640x480, but it's very pronounced and slower machines in my collection from *Packard Bell* are getting better FPS scores at 640x480, which just seems wrong? So in the Chris's 3D Benchmark in the standard resolution, option 3 on the menu I get 323.9 frames per second, and then the 640x480 run option 4 on the menu results in a 34.4 frames per second. When running PC Player from option 5 which is in 320x240 I think, I get 153.6 and then running option 6 which is labeled as PC Player 640x480 I get a result of 17.4? And lastly I run the quake benchmark 320x240 I get 87.6 FPS, 320x480 I get 51.1 fps, and at 640x480 I get 11.2 fps.

I know this is something I have set up and changing a setting should help with this because 11.2 fps just seems super low. I know the FPU in the AMD chips is weak, but I could have sworn it was stronger than a Pentium MMX because my Pentium 233MMX I think gets 15 or so fps at 640x480 with a S3Trio64V+ video card. I haven't run any of the DOS based AMD tools, and I haven't installed any of the K6 Windows patches either. I am really open to any thoughts about what might be causing the strangeness. My issues with the DOS sound TSR has gotten frustrated enough that I am contemplating moving back to the AWE 64 GOLD that was in there originally so I can use certain DOS games, so I need to figure that out as well. I am using the version of the DOS TSR from the Install media, so maybe it's old and needs to be updated? I don't know.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas, and if this is in the wrong place, please let me know so I can move it to where it needs to go. Thank you.

Regards,

Nate.

Reply 2 of 4, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had not checked that. I went and ran the benchmarks inside of Dos under Windows 98 and the results I got were similar, but slower
Chris's 3D Benchmark 320x240- 321.8
Chris's 3D Benchmark 640x480- 33.4
PlayerBench - 142.9
PlayerBench 640x480 - 16.8
Quake 320 - 82.7
Quake 360x480 - 35.9
Quake 640x480 - 10.8

I have tried to use the tool mtrrlfbe and it crashes at the end? And I haven't used the setk6 tool at all. Is there some place I can get that?

Reply 3 of 4, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'll attach the tool here, but if you say you don't get better scores under windows, you probably have a different issue - check the voltage on your CPU and run a memtest, just in case. or maybe try plugging in the s3 card, i never thought 3dfx cards were all that ideal for DOS anyway.

Attachments

• Filename
    setk6v2.zip
    File size
    157.33 KiB
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 4, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Memtest run, and it found no errors. Voltage checked and double checked. It's set to 1.9V like listed on the K6-III+ chip. FSB is set to 100MHz and the multiplier is set to 4.5. I will have to try the S3 video card here later today. I was always told that the Voodoo 3 was really decent in DOS with 2D graphics? I will try the setK6V2 tool, and see if that helps. Grabbed the other tool from Phil's Computer lab as well. Based on what I am seeing in his video on the tools, my numbers are very much right in line with what the K6-III+ does in DOS. Seems that it has something to do with AMD K6 marchitecture? His k6-3 500 is just slightly faster than what I am getting with my k6-3 450.