VOGONS

First post, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I know its not THAT retro hardware but it's getting there ... I suppose! I have a strange problem with a PC i've built and not sure where else to ask,

Other than this problem it works OK and is stable,

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, MSI P35 Neo2 motherboard, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2,nVidia 8800 Ultra, Aerocool Cylon 600W PSU

If the PC is unplugged from the mains, and then I switch it back on again, I get the error that the BIOS settings are incorrect, press F1 to enter setup or F2 to restore defaults. It hold the settings fine when powered down but left plugged in.

I've had this happen in the past when the CMOS battery is flat (this motherboard is probably coming up to 15 years old after all). I put a brand new CMOS battery in but it still happens

I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version from the MSI site, didn't solve the problem

Had a look around on the motherboard for any clear CMOS jumpers that might be set to the wrong position. This board has a clear CMOS button so I couldnt find any problem there

Any more ideas? I'm a bit stumped

Basically it works fine but it's really annoying to have to input the BIOS settings every time I turn it on

Reply 2 of 2, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SBB wrote on 2021-04-20, 14:49:

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, MSI P35 Neo2 motherboard, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2,nVidia 8800 Ultra, Aerocool Cylon 600W PSU

If the PC is unplugged from the mains, and then I switch it back on again, I get the error that the BIOS settings are incorrect, press F1 to enter setup or F2 to restore defaults. It hold the settings fine when powered down but left plugged in.

When your computer loses the settings, does it also lose the date & time ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port