VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have acquired a case with USB ports in the front. The header is taped, though it still looks like it can only be connected one way to a Y adapter I purchased, with the idea of rerouting my Asus P2B USB ports to the front ports.

The plan is to connect the male end to the front panel connector, and plug both USB jacks into the P2B ports in the back. I don't have an I/O plate, so I will feed it past the mouse and KB ports.

I can't remember of the P2B is USB 1.0 or 1.1, and O don't know what the USB ports on this case are rated to be, and I don't know of there will be an issue of they are different.

I don't want to pull the case out to access the USB ports, and I want to be able to connect joysticks, gamepads, flash drives, etc. to the front.

Is what I am attempting to so going to work? Is there anything I need to do or think about before powering up the PC?

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

asus p2b ... usb 1

so as long as the taped pins are in the correct order, you shouldn't have any problems.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-11, 17:58:

asus p2b ... usb 1

so as long as the taped pins are in the correct order, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thank you. Ugh, 1.1 would be better, hehehe... I am going to buy a usb-to-ethernet adapter to get some semblance of networking capability, as this build is practically filled, and I will have only one ISA slot IF I can get an AWE64 Legacy (due to intelligent MPU requirements for external MIDI devices.)

Any risk of frying the mobo if the pins are wrong? I have faith that they are fine, I would just hate to have to remove the tape if all of the connectors are separate..

Reply 3 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-11, 18:05:

Thank you. Ugh, 1.1 would be better, hehehe... I am going to buy a usb-to-ethernet adapter to get some semblance of networking capability, as this build is practically filled, and I will have only one ISA slot IF I can get an AWE64 Legacy (due to intelligent MPU requirements for external MIDI devices.)

Any risk of frying the mobo if the pins are wrong? I have faith that they are fine, I would just hate to have to remove the tape if all of the connectors are separate..

speed wise there is no difference between usb 1 and 1.1. your mainboard possibly is 1.1 depends on one of the chips on the board.
risk of frying is always there if you somehow connect the voltage lines to ground or vice versa.
Connecting the voltage lines directly to the data lines also doesn't tend to be a good idea (tm)

in general, black to black, white to white, green to green, and red to red.
since there's two ports, there will be two of both, just make sure to keep the white and green of one port together. mixing them up won't fry anything but will make it not function.
oh and the one pin that is seperate tends to be ground, which also tends to be the metal shield of the usb connector.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-11, 18:05:

I think if it's following the USB spec then there's supposed to be over-current protection on the motherboard. They did a reasonable job of designing it to cope with broken stuff being plugged in. But I'm not sure you want to rely on that if you can avoid it.

Reply 5 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Examining the wires reveals red/red on one, and red/orange on the other. The lone 9th pin is brown on one, and black on the other. I said "screw it," connected it as is, and turned on the PC, and I am now in Windows.

However...

Only once did Windows detect the USB flash drive I am using to test, via the front ports. Nothing was happening, and the Windows detection box popped up right when I was removing the flash drive, and now it won't detect it at all from the front. When I plug it in, the little LED on the flashdrive quickly blinks and then goes out. This happens in both ports. When I unplug the Y cable and plug the flash drive directly into the back USB mobo ports, the drive works as is expected.

So;

1. The Y cable may be faulty
2. The front USB ports/header cable may be faulty. The drive does feel loose... (wiggling it doesn't do anything...)
3. Whoever taped it up has it wrong, but I'm no so sure...

I'm not sure what to do. I think I have front USBs pulled from other cases, so I suppose I should see if I can find it. However, I will have to disassemble the PC in order to pull the front off...

Reply 6 of 6, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dug out a USB Logitech Gamepad, and it was detected, set up by Windows 98SE, and is working in both of the front USB ports. The original flash drive must be fickle, because I plugged an 8GB Toshiba flash drive into the ports and Windows then detects it as a "Transmemory," and a 16GB Lexar is detected as a "USB Flash Drive." I am going to download the driver from Phil's Computer Lab and see what happens, though it seems that, despite feeling a bit loose/spongey, I have successfully rerouted my USB ports.

I don't "need" to use USB mass storage, as I have a parallel port CF reader, a CF/IDE adapter drive in my 3.5 bay, and I have a parallel port SuperDisk (looking for a USB version for other machines,) though it would be handy to be able to use USB drives on this machine. The goal is to add as much functionality to this "ultimate" Windows 98 build as I can.