User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Omg your right. Doh. Oof, and i ordered the wrong size chip too. Hurray 🤣

Reply 21 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty, correct eprom has been ordered. Should be here tomorrow. I think there is a way to use the larger eprom, but ill just be patient and wait 🤣

Again
Thank you!!!

Reply 22 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.. I got the new eprom in today, made the change to the Last byte in the bios, and it burned ok. However, when i boot now with the new bios, it dont even beep. Blanked the chip out with UV, and reburned, same thing.

So one thing i noticed on the chip, is the original chip is a M27c512 15-F1, and the new chip is a M26c512 12-F1. Im faily new to eproms, is that rating at the end going to cause any issues?

Reply 23 of 33, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Were the chips from chinese sellers?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 24 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-19, 22:32:

Were the chips from chinese sellers?

Cheers,

Dont think so. Got them on amazon. (Which i know means nothing) however i tried to remove any "paint" with some alcohol for the lettering and nothing came off. Usually with fake or rebranded chips it starts to smear off from my experience (which is limited)

Reply 25 of 33, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amazon is usually Chinese for parts like this, check where they are located where you bought them from.

Cheers,

Reply 26 of 33, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do make sure to run a verify on the EPROM after writing. And to make sure the chip itself is not very overused and too slow now, you can program it with the original BIOS image (no modifications). See if that works the same way as the original chip.

Reply 27 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These were shipped with Amazon prime, so the address is just the center they shipped from.

I did do a verify after writing, shows successful. I also burned with with the changes, and without (they actually sent 2 roms) but either way, notta, same response as if the Bios isnt even in the machine. Im wondering if that nano second rating makes a different. Researching that online shows that its the Max speed in nano seconds.
12 = 120 Nano Seconds
15 = 150 Nano Seconds

Not sure if that matters since the Bios was rated 150, and these are 120s

Reply 28 of 33, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The sellers usually send their stuff to center including from Chinese sellers. This is why I'm rather cautious and you have to verify what sellers are from.

It is the big, expensive, popular brands that Amazon seize the fakes but not all got escaped the bag.

Cheers,

Reply 29 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-05-20, 00:08:

The sellers usually send their stuff to center including from Chinese sellers. This is why I'm rather cautious and you have to verify what sellers are from.

It is the big, expensive, popular brands that Amazon seize the fakes but not all got escaped the bag.

Cheers,

Yah i do mixed reviews from this seller. I see Jameco sells this chip fairly cheap in refurbished, but not new status.

Reply 30 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ugh. Jeezus

So i put the original bios in, and its still not doing anything. its been consistently givng me those beep codes but now now. I havent changed anything but still reseated everything. Nothing. powers on but no bios beeps at all.

Reply 31 of 33, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dumb Q perhaps, but did you try squirting some contact cleaner into the ROM sockets?

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 32 of 33, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Eep386 wrote on 2021-05-20, 18:12:

Dumb Q perhaps, but did you try squirting some contact cleaner into the ROM sockets?

Not a dumb q. But yah. Did that. Even used the good stuff, dexoit d5

Reply 33 of 33, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have a POST card? I could hack you a simple test image that outputs some codes, maybe even do a self-test of the entire BIOS area so you would know if that's being read correct or not.