VOGONS

4DPS motherboard driving me insane. Help!

Topic actions

First post, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a Zida/Tomato 4DPS Version 1.0 socket 3 motherboard. I also got a Am486DX4100 SV8B CPU to go with it. Unfortunately, after several weekends of testing I have not being able to make it work. It does not post, or even beep. The CPU does not seem to get warm at all, even though I took the heatsink+fan off of it.

Here's what I've tried:

First of all, I have been using a buzzer and PC analyzer/POST card for this whole time and I get no codes, only dashes. Voltages are all there though (you can see it in the photos). I have tested this card in other motherboards and the card works fine.

I've tried many different jumper combinations to set the CPU, to no avail. I was not able to find the manual for Ver 1.0 but the manual for Ver 2.1 lists all the same jumpers. I tried pretty much all relevant jumper settings several times with no luck. I found a manual for a motherboard that's pretty much identical to mine (found here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=681 ) and tried those jumper settings, still nothing.

I've tested this same CPU in a different motherboard and it works fine. I've also tried putting an Am586 CPU in the 4DPS, did not work
All this time I made sure that the CPU voltage jumpers were in the 3.3/3.45 V range (so I did not set it to 5V and fry my CPU.... not yet anyway).

I've tested different types of 72 pin RAM, including FPM sticks that worked in other motherboards. Nothing.

Tried removing the cache chips, cleaning them, putting them back. Nothing. Took them all off to see if it would give me a code, nothing.

Tried installing the CMOS 2032 battery to see if it helped. It didn't.

Changed all electrolytic caps (about 13 or so) for new ones. Nothing.

Took the BIOS chip off and tried another chip from a similar (working) motherboard. No change.

I went over the thing with a multi-meter, checking for continuity, and it seems to be OK.

Could not find any obvious physical damage or corrosion anywhere

I'm in the process of testing individual components and reflowing the solder joints, just because I don't know what else to do.

I am waiting to get a Amd DX2-66 5V CPU in the mail, and test that to see if maybe that helps.

Does anyone have any idea of what I might have missed, or anything else I can do?

Reply 1 of 20, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you measure the voltage, are you sure that the CPU is getting 3.3 / 3.45V ? Maybe the MOSFET is dead.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would the MOSFET be the voltage regulator looking thing that's screwed to a heatsink, next to the CPU? It has TIP 32C written on it. I thought it was a voltage regulator but apparently its a transistor, which is something I'm not super familiar with it.
That being said, I did test the voltage by touching the pins on the bottom of the motherboard. I included a photo with the pins numbered so my tests make sense.

Here's what I found:

With the CPU voltage set to 3.3V:

First I tested all three pins with the black lead of the multimeter connected to the PSU ground and the red lead touching each pin of the transistor. Pin 1 read 1.5V, pin 2 read 2V and pin 3 read 5V.

I then tested by touching both black and red leads to different pins on the transistor. Here are the results:

Black lead to Pin 1, red lead to pin 2= 0.43V
Black to 1, red to 3= 3.4V
Black to 2, red to 3= 3V.

With the CPU voltage set to 3.45V:

With the black lead connected to PSU ground, Pin 1 read 1.3 V, pin 2 was 2V and pin 3 was 5 V.

When touching both leads to different pins I got:

Black to pin 1, red to pin= 0.62V
Black to 1, red to 3= 3.69V

I don't know what this test shows, or if this is even the right test to do. I'm kinda learning as we go with this motherboard. Does this mean anything? Is my transistor bad? Should I be looking at something else?

Thank you

Reply 3 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That looks suspect, like somebody messed with it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fenderstrat wrote on 2021-05-30, 01:05:

First I tested all three pins with the black lead of the multimeter connected to the PSU ground and the red lead touching each pin of the transistor. Pin 1 read 1.5V, pin 2 read 2V and pin 3 read 5V.

As BitWrangler said it looks like someone messed with it (I see solder splatter on the resistors). That HS bolt does not look stock. Maybe it was just replaced.
You need to re-check from the Lug on that VReg (is the output) to ground with a 3.3v CPU installed and with jumpers set at 3.3v. If around 3.3v then it is working.
the Vreg chip is just a transistor... maybe the circuit to it is bad. Can you take a better picture of the cpu socket+ Vreg area ?
Edit: fixed a boo-boo

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-05-30, 02:57:
As BitWrangler said it looks like someone messed with it (I see solder splatter on the resistors). That HS bolt does not look s […]
Show full quote

As BitWrangler said it looks like someone messed with it (I see solder splatter on the resistors). That HS bolt does not look stock. Maybe it was just replaced.
You need to re-check from the Lug on that VReg (is the output) to ground with a 3.3v CPU installed and with jumpers set at 3.3v. If around 3.3v then it is working.
the Vreg chip is just a transistor... maybe the circuit to it is bad. Can you take a better picture of the cpu socket+ Vreg area ?
Edit: fixed a boo-boo

Ok, I just need some clarification. Is the Lug one of the transistor's pins? If so, which one? Looking at a datasheet I see that pin 1 is base, pin 2 is collector and pin 3 is emitter. Which one do you mean? Which one would be output? Or is the Lug something else?

As for ground, any ground? I've been using the middle (black) pins on the power connector, is that good?

From what I can see in photos of other 4DPS's, that heatsink bolt seems to be common. In any case, here's a closeup of that area

Reply 6 of 20, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Instead of checking the voltage on the MOSFET pins, even better would be to measure directly the voltage received by the CPU.
Remove the CPU, insert a paper clip in one of the VCC pins, push the socket retention lever, power on the motherboard.

I suspect that this motherboard was dead and someone else tried to fix it, was unable to, and... probably sold it to you as "untested"? 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 7 of 20, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
With the CPU voltage set to 3.3V: […]
Show full quote

With the CPU voltage set to 3.3V:

Pin 1 read 1.5V, pin 2 read 2V and pin 3 read 5V.

I then tested by touching both black and red leads to different pins on the transistor. Here are the results:

Black lead to Pin 1, red lead to pin 2= 0.43V
Black to 1, red to 3= 3.4V

They look odd. I looked up the TIP32C and it's a PNP transistor. That means that if the Base (pin 1) is slightly below the Emitter (pin 3), so current flows from Emitter to Base, then current can also flow from the Emitter to the Collector (pin 2). So Vin is pin 3, Vout is pin 2 and switch control is pin 1. But the data sheet says the maximum Vbe should be 1.8V (and ought to be more like 1.2V), when you've measured 3.4V. At that voltage (3.4V) there should be a huge current flowing from the Emitter to the Base.

I don't know why the Base voltage would be like that, could be a faulty component. As well as the transistor there should be a biasing resistor connected to the Base that controls the amount of current that can flow (probably one of those two resistors right by the transistor), so you may want to check that the resistance across those matches the colour codes.

Reply 9 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2021-05-30, 07:42:

Instead of checking the voltage on the MOSFET pins, even better would be to measure directly the voltage received by the CPU.
Remove the CPU, insert a paper clip in one of the VCC pins, push the socket retention lever, power on the motherboard.

I suspect that this motherboard was dead and someone else tried to fix it, was unable to, and... probably sold it to you as "untested"? 😀

Actually, it was sold to me as "tested and working", so I got my money back. Which is even more incentive to get it working!

Ok, so I tried this method (a paper clip was way too thick, I ended up clipping the leg off a capacitor and using that instead) and got absolutely nothing, tried different VCC holes, no voltage.

Next thing I did was taking the TIP 32C, to test it off the circuit. My wife used her desoldering gun (she's way better at soldering/desoldering than I) and gently pulled it out. As soon as she did, one of the pins broke off. So I'm pretty sure that regardless of anything else, this transistor had to be replaced. I tested it with the multimeter in diode mode (there was just enough of the broken pin left to do this) and I got absolutely nothing, no reading from any pins. Already ordered a replacement, hopefully it should be here soon.

I'm new to testing resistors, but i tested them all anyway (in circuit, not sure if that makes a difference). Most of them were perfect, but some of them did read out of range. One of them (circled in red on the photo) was reading about 12 M ohms when according to the stripe codes, it should be 25 M ohms (which apparently is a pretty uncommon value, so I'm not sure if I read that one right). The yellow arrow shows what I think is a resistor array. That one is also reading bad, two of the pins were showing a much lower value than the rest. So I guess I'll be getting some of those as well.

So I'll just have to wait until the new parts arrive for now. Thanks everyone for all your tips, I'll keep you posted!

Reply 10 of 20, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A resistor can read lower when tested in circuit (depending on the actual circuit), but it should never measure higher. So that resistor is probably fine.
What about if you configure the motherboard for 5V, do you get any reading on the VCC pins?

Reply 11 of 20, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fenderstrat wrote on 2021-05-30, 12:21:

i tested them all anyway (in circuit, not sure if that makes a difference).

It can do, if there are two resistors in parallel, and there'll be some non-0 resistance from power to ground through the rest of the board. But it can be handy for just checking if a resistor has gone completely open and if biasing resistors look about right.

One of them (circled in red on the photo) was reading about 12 M ohms when according to the stripe codes, it should be 25 M ohms (which apparently is a pretty uncommon value, so I'm not sure if I read that one right).

Looks to be something to do with what I think is the 32.768KHz oscillator input to the 85C497 on pin 34&35 (bias resistor across the crystal inputs to get the oscillator started?). I can't make out the colour bands in your photo, but the picture on UH19 looks like it's brown-green-blue, so 15M in that case. I suspect the absolute value isn't critical here, as long as it's >1M but not actually open circuit.

The yellow arrow shows what I think is a resistor array. That one is also reading bad, two of the pins were showing a much lower value than the rest. So I guess I'll be getting some of those as well.

Maybe not, could just be to do with what jumpers are fitted. Either way, you've found a definite faulty part with that transistor, so I'd probably just get that changed first. When you replace it, try without any CPU or RAM fitted, just to make sure that the voltages look right first.

Reply 12 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back when RadioShack still had a few components they only had about 10 transistor types in store, so if you wondered in saying "I need a transistor like this" you'd end up with one of those 10... and I seem to recall the TIP32 being one of them... so I am wondering if that is actually the right part number for that board. What it should be doing is acting as current amplifier to a reference voltage, that's set at 3.3 or is adjustable by jumpers switching in different resistor values for 3.6 etc. Possibly finding the actual reference regulator and looking up the application note might give us more clue what's happening and whether this transistor is right for the job.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 20, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-30, 13:36:

Back when RadioShack still had a few components they only had about 10 transistor types in store, so if you wondered in saying "I need a transistor like this" you'd end up with one of those 10... and I seem to recall the TIP32 being one of them... so I am wondering if that is actually the right part number for that board. What it should be doing is acting as current amplifier to a reference voltage, that's set at 3.3 or is adjustable by jumpers switching in different resistor values for 3.6 etc. Possibly finding the actual reference regulator and looking up the application note might give us more clue what's happening and whether this transistor is right for the job.

Good point. There's an 8 pin chip by the edge of the board near the transistor. It's likely involved with switching the transistor, but I can't make out all the lettering on it. The TIP32C datasheet says it can be used for switching, so they may have used a PNP as part of a switched power supply. The UH19 photos say they were provided by Deksor, so maybe they can help confirm the ID of the transistor?

Reply 14 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-30, 13:51:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-30, 13:36:

Good point. There's an 8 pin chip by the edge of the board near the transistor. It's likely involved with switching the transistor, but I can't make out all the lettering on it. The TIP32C datasheet says it can be used for switching, so they may have used a PNP as part of a switched power supply. The UH19 photos say they were provided by Deksor, so maybe they can help confirm the ID of the transistor?

That tiny 8 pin chip reads:
53KY
LP295
1ACMA

Does that help?

Reply 15 of 20, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fenderstrat wrote on 2021-05-30, 14:09:
That tiny 8 pin chip reads: 53KY LP295 1ACMA […]
Show full quote

That tiny 8 pin chip reads:
53KY
LP295
1ACMA

There's an LP2951 voltage regulator that looks like it might be it. Check if pin 4 connects to Ground and if pin 1 connects to either +5V or +12V. The output from this chip might control the Base pin of the large transistor, with the Vout/Collector pin going through a resistor divider to provide the feedback back to this chip.

But if that is an LP2951 then I'm not sure at the moment if a PNP transistor is the right thing to use where the TIP32 was. If the output voltage from the TIP32 is too low, then that will increase the output voltage from the LP2951. Assuming that output is connected (through a resistor) to the Base of a TIP32, then increasing the Base voltage will reduce Vbe (Emitter was at +5V), and so the current flowing through the collector, which will reduce the output voltage from the transistor even further, when the voltage should be increasing. That said, it always takes me a while to get my head around analogue stuff, so I may have something back to front there.

It really would be good if anyone with the same board can confirm what that part should be.

Could you measure the resistance between pin 1 (output) of the LP2951 and the three pins of the TIP32 (particularly pin 1 (Base))? That'll check if the LP2951 is controlling the TIP32.
Also measure the resistance between pin 7 (feedback) of the LP2951 and the three pins of the TIP32 (particularly pin 2 (Collector)). That shows if the LP2951 should be changing its output based on the output from the TIP32. I'm hoping we can figure out if the TIP32 is actually the wrong part based on what it's connected to.

Bloodem's suggestion of testing a Vcc pin with the motherboard configured for 5V is a good one. I think that should bypass the regulator entirely.

Reply 16 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TIP32C seems to be the correct transistor (Whether it's up to the job long term might be up for speculation)
Tomato 4DPS 2.0 + Cyrix DX2-66 - not work

Odd that never showed up until I was looking for TNT 64 info and quite serendipitous.

Reply 17 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I set the CPU voltage to 5V with the jumpers, placed a pin into one of the VCC holes in the socket and I got 5 Volts! Finally, a step in the right direction. Tried another VCC phole and it also read 5V. So I guess the transistor does get bypassed when the voltage is set to 5. In any case, I have a replacement on the way, hopefully it'll get here soon. Thanks!

Reply 18 of 20, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news! 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by fenderstrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I replaced the TIP32 C and now it works like a charm! Thanks everyone for all your help!