VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I just received my first 386 motherboard, it is quite weird, it seems baby at format, it never had those leaking battery (in fact is in mint condition but how do I save the bios settings?), there are 2 jumpers (that I wasn't able to locate) and there is apparently no brand or model, is anyone able to help me to identify the board?

Reply 1 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the ext bat pin header with a jumper on pin 2-3, remove the jumper, and attach the battery to pin 1 and 4.
measure with a multimeter to figure out which pin is ground and connect that to the negative of the battery, connect the other pin to the positive of the battery.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 3 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-18, 11:15:

the ext bat pin header with a jumper on pin 2-3, remove the jumper, and attach the battery to pin 1 and 4.
measure with a multimeter to figure out which pin is ground and connect that to the negative of the battery, connect the other pin to the positive of the battery.

Unlucky I do not have a battery pack, I will probably need to modify it to hold the cr2032 battery and a diode.

Deksor wrote on 2021-04-18, 11:28:

Thank you, thank you!

Reply 4 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry for the bump, apparently the motherboard goes nuts when I install an fpu.
The system hangs on first boot screen or it is unstable, with a Cyrix fasthmath 40 mhz I can boot at 33 mhz but I got this errors and then the system crash:

photo_2021-05-30_09-50-02.jpg

I tried to restore the bios settings without any help. Unlucky the bios is soldered so I can't flash mr-bios. I'm sure it's not a fpu issue since I tried 3 of them without any better result. Could it be a problem that the system just has 640kb memory?
With other 2 fpu the debug card shows it hangs during the code 9c which is detecting the FPU

Any suggestion?

Reply 5 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received another FPU, the mb still hangs during the FPU detection, any help please?

Reply 6 of 7, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the board as a jumper to FPU on ? is the bios options correct ? is the fpu same speed of cpu ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 7 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are rated for the same speed of the cpu, there is no jumper allowing to enable or disable the fpu and there are no bios options for the fpu.