VOGONS

First post, by castmobil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people. I am trying to repair this motherboard and I need help on what to do next .

20210626_195254.jpg
Filename
20210626_195254.jpg
File size
627.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20210626_195358.jpg
Filename
20210626_195358.jpg
File size
397.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Only visible damage is this resistor network and once filter capacitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zil3W6qbSzs
I uploaded video of the sound that the motherboard is making.
When I power on the motherboard it is making buzzing sound for 2 sec 5 sec pause and 2 sec buzzing sound again.
It is making this sound with and without ram installed. Tested with 3 different types of memory that are tested on different machine.
Tested with 4 CPUS ( pentium 90 mhz )
I really want to fix this motherboard. Any help will be highly appreciated !

Reply 1 of 8, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check none of those evil Tantalum capacitors are shorted, they are well known for this. I have one on an XT motherboard that stopped the power
supply from starting up.
I'd measure the resistor pack, You never know, it may be ok.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 3 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! possibly the end two are bad seeing the damage on the top and end. Might be a simple 5 x 100, 5 x 330 or 5 x 1k or similar array for pull down/pull up.
The numbers on back side will tell (if there are any), Would be easy to cut and jump a 1/8 watt across the two pads on the end as a test once the value is known.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 8, by castmobil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2021-07-04, 12:56:

Check none of those evil Tantalum capacitors are shorted, they are well known for this. I have one on an XT motherboard that stopped the power
supply from starting up.
I'd measure the resistor pack, You never know, it may be ok.

Checked all the capacitor. There are no shorts. Changed the resistor network. Just bought logic probe I will try to do some more diagnostics .

Reply 6 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need RAM installed in pairs, so install two memory sticks in Bank 0. (two slots closest to the PCI slots) You only have one installed in the video. Also make sure you have the correct type, as noted below. The beep code you're getting is memory error.

Getting beep codes is a good thing, since the board is showing signs of life and trying to startup. Put a POST card in the PCI or ISA slot to see what code it stops on.

snmh5I8.png

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 8, by castmobil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2021-07-05, 19:15:

You need RAM installed in pairs, so install two memory sticks in Bank 0. (two slots closest to the PCI slots) You only have one installed in the video. Also make sure you have the correct type, as noted below. The beep code you're getting is memory error.

Getting beep codes is a good thing, since the board is showing signs of life and trying to startup. Put a POST card in the PCI or ISA slot to see what code it stops on.

Thank you !!!!!
So it was the ram. It have to be FMP and in pairs. I am such a noob not paying attention to the manual.
The motherboard is alive !!! Now it is time for testing !