VOGONS

First post, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi folks,

I've really got too much to "keep everything" long term, and there's unnecessary duplication, start digging into details too much and everything is a unique, precious snowflake. Then you're trying to judge things on intangibles. So I was looking for some kind of rule or structure that made sense to me, that I could keep myself to, and I think I've got it now, at least for a "first pass optimisation" as time goes on I might cut more dead wood than this. That depends on whether things feel too similar cross architecture or cross generation.

So the basics are, that I've known for many years that you don't really feel a performance difference on a system until you go at least 20% faster, and even then you're probably only noticing the edge cases, things where it wasn't quite fast enough before. Really you need 50% to double before you get the "Ohhh yeahhh!!" feeling. So for things like that, where there needs to be an amount of separation for a real difference, the concept of preferred numbers exists, the E3 series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_series_of_pre … rred_numbers#E3 has a calculated tolerance of 36.6% which seems in the ballpark of the kind of difference I want between systems, so they actually feel different to use. But 1, 2.2, 4.7 isn't actually all that brain friendly for rough reckoning so rounding up to the 1-2-5 series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_numbe … 2%80%935_series seems good enough...

In essence then, for each architecture, I would have the 1x fast, the release speed, the 2x as fast, close to 2x release speed, and the 5x as fast if possible, top end of the speed range. But that's not real rigid and the plus or minus 36ish percent gets you in the same ballpark.

For example, for 486s, I'd go 25 or 33, then any DX2, then DX4 120 or DX5 133.

If I consider; XT class, 286, 386, 486, socket 5/7, PII/III, P4, K7/462, AMD 64, and conroe/Core2 as the generations or architecture divisions, then that's still some 30 machines or board combos, but as I said, I've already got duplication, so it should be a reduction. Also as I mentioned, may just be a "first pass" since there's definite areas there where the performance envelopes overlap between competing architectures. I might wanna experience them for a while before deciding. I also don't know if I'm allowing myself a couple of special cases, like a dual CPU, and the exact spec of late 1995 I had.

So any thoughts on your curation philosophy? ... other than the Pokemon one... gotta catch 'em all.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My rule is does this PC offer anything different. I doesn't bother me if I'm missing CPU or Socket's from my line up
Can be like my 486's with different soundcards. Maybe today I want to play a game using the AWE, tomorrow the SC-55 or Yamaha.
Or graphics cards. I've a PC with a Virge of Terminal Velocity in S3D or another with a Matrox Mystique for Screamer 2.

It can also be software based. I've a dual slot 1 server running NT4 and another very similar build running Win2k Pro

Sometimes you can combine the reason, The dual slot 2k box is also my V2 SLI machine.
The single Slot 1 1GHz PC is pure Win98 and Voodoo 3. again these 2 PC's don't really offer any differences but it's enough to justify them for myself.

I've a S370 in storage as I can't think what to do with it. I've already got a Slot A, 2 Slot 1 (3 if you count the server) covering the Pentium 2-3 era but how strict you want to be is up to you of course.
But I would definitely allow myself special cases. I find those machines make me the happiest and most used despite having better spec PC's sitting idle for months on end.

Reply 2 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's room for a lot of variety in 30 systems, I was wondering earlier "30? have I even got the cases?" But a quick count up came to 50 system units, which was a bit of a surprise, I was guessing around 20 🤣. About 10 of those are system specific. Then there's an additional 4 "lumps" that are missing pieces, bent, or need modification to use. Though just now remembered a thinkcenter and a dell that didn't get counted, though nominally wifey's boxes.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and mix things up so I've got AMD and Intel with near cousin pairs of 3dfx, ATI, Nvidia GPUs, like right now I'm thinking that a PII-266 gets SLI V2s, and a 500mhz K6-3 gets a V3. (Which prolly makes them pretty close in performance, but I'm not sticking the V2s in a P100 and the V3 in a P4... okay it's a
possibility the low end P4 gets a V3, I should have 3 around) Soundcards, I don't have yamahas, GUS, turtle beach etc, but I've got at least one of every gen soundblaster to the 2000s, and a lot of aztechs, crystals, optis and ALS to fill in. Some of the earlier systems might not get one, unless I make a covox/dss clone or two. Though I can play musical GPUs, or sound cards, like musical chairs, swap them all around a bit. Not sure I want to try "hole filling" by getting some of the more audiophile rated cards. If they come cheap or I trade for them then maybe. I might buy a 25Mhz harris 286 and a 40Mhz AMD 386, just CPUs, to top out those gens, or I'm stuck with a lot of middle.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh see I'm not so worried about the near cousin pairs as they don't offer anything different.
Well that's a lie
The slot A and Slot 1 machines are very similar but I just like cartridge style CPU's
The slot A 650Mhz will end up with a 3DFX Banshee, Vortex 2, ESS soundcard
The dual slot 1 600Mhz has V2 SLI, Audigy 2 ZS, AWE64
The single slot 1 1Ghz has GF4 Ti, V3 2000, Audigy 2 ZS, AWE32 and Yamaha onboard.

You don't really need slot 1 AND slot A, or 3 different 3dfx cards. or even a 1Ghz Slot 1 at all. But i tell myself I like having a "powerful P3, the dual slot is cool hardware and Slot A is differnt hardware
My 486's are even worse.
5x86 PCI, that's not too bad as it has a Virge for S3D games
DX2/66 VLB, My first PC so pure nostalgia plus has the SC55
POD 83 VLB, makes no sense I just want a POD83
But really I could get away with 1 486 for early dos.

Later systems I'm better with.
1 dual socket 8 running NT 3.51
1 dual socket 604 running Win2k server
1 socket 478 dual booting 9x/XP (which doesn't really do anything different but I cant bring myself to get rid of)
1 LGA775 which is my main XP gaming rig
1 dual LGA771, Crossfire. The 775 is a better machine but this is partly built from spare parts
1 dual LGa1336 Win7 gaming rig.

So for me 486's, Slot based CPU's, and 3DFX are my weakness.
But when it comes to AMD or Nvidia I'll go with whatever suits best and not worry about having its counterpart same with CPU's.
And I'm not worried about having the entire range of Soundblaster's, Graphics cards, etc.
But thats just me. Even I know I have too many PC's really