VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I bought this motherboard and now i'm looking for some rambus modules, since I'm complete noob (they were too expensive back in time), I just bought 2 modules pc800 of 256mb. If I remember right all slots must be populated and if they aren't I should use something like dummy module?

Those are the modules I bought:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
210.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But I can't find others for a reasonable price.

Reply 2 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-13, 23:33:

If you don't need more memory than the 512MB you've already bought, just buy a pair of the dummy continuity RIMMs (CRIMMs) to fill the other two slots

the lowest price I found for 2 crimms is €8 shipped, with €18 I get other 2 modules with 2 crimms. I was hoping for lower prices to be honest.

That being said, I got the first 2 modules today, I tried to power the board but it doesn't post, the debug card throw the 01d3 code (ami bios) which should be: "starting memory sizing next".
That's because there are 2 unpopulated slot or there could be any other issue?

Also the ram do not get even warm, according to what I know that should become very hot?

Edit: Can I mix ecc with non ecc memory in this rambus system?

Reply 3 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-16, 14:39:
the lowest price I found for 2 crimms is €8 shipped, with €18 I get other 2 modules with 2 crimms. I was hoping for lower prices […]
Show full quote

If you don't need more memory than the 512MB you've already bought, just buy a pair of the dummy continuity RIMMs (CRIMMs) to fill the other two slots

the lowest price I found for 2 crimms is €8 shipped, with €18 I get other 2 modules with 2 crimms. I was hoping for lower prices to be honest.

That being said, I got the first 2 modules today, I tried to power the board but it doesn't post, the debug card throw the 01d3 code (ami bios) which should be: "starting memory sizing next".

Also the ram do not get even warm, according to what I know that should become very hot?

Not sure where you're located but as you've quoted prices in Euros I'm assuming somewhere in the EU, so how about 2 x CRIMMs for €5.78 with free standard shipping at this link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281846015828?hash= … JMAAOSwwgBcMWOZ

Board won't start unless all 4 slots are populated with either RDRAM or CRIMM pairs

As far as mixing ECC / non-ECC, it may work if you disable ECC support in the BIOS but generally I'd avoid if at all possible.

Reply 4 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-18, 13:47:
Not sure where you're located but as you've quoted prices in Euros I'm assuming somewhere in the EU, so how about 2 x CRIMMs for […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-16, 14:39:
the lowest price I found for 2 crimms is €8 shipped, with €18 I get other 2 modules with 2 crimms. I was hoping for lower prices […]
Show full quote

Not sure where you're located but as you've quoted prices in Euros I'm assuming somewhere in the EU, so how about 2 x CRIMMs for €5.78 with free standard shipping at this link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281846015828?hash= … JMAAOSwwgBcMWOZ

Board won't start unless all 4 slots are populated with either RDRAM or CRIMM pairs

As far as mixing ECC / non-ECC, it may work if you disable ECC support in the BIOS but generally I'd avoid if at all possible.

Yes, I live in Europe, thank you for the link, it seems a good offer.

Reply 6 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madao wrote on 2021-07-18, 14:20:

Mix of non-ECC and ECC RDRAM is no problem for this P4 TITAN Board.
I own this board for few years with 1GB RDRAM.
This board has only USB1.1 😖

That's a good news. Usb 1.1 only? I didn't know... :\

Reply 7 of 14, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-07-18, 19:57:
Madao wrote on 2021-07-18, 14:20:

This board has only USB1.1 😖

That's a good news. Usb 1.1 only? I didn't know... :\

You don't need to use the onboard USB. PCI USB 2.0 cards are still obtainable for a reasonable price.

Reply 8 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck on your new board ! Have always hated RDram/RAMbus, figured it was Intels way of getting even for us who built are own computers off clone boards back in the late 90's with SDRAM and waiting for DDR and so created it just to eff with us.
'RDRAM was controversial during its widespread use by Intel for having high licensing fees, high cost, being a proprietary standard, and low performance advantages for the increased cost over SDRAM and with DDR SDRAM soon coming out they got embroiled in a standards war trying to make RDram the new standard'

Ok just my opinion but for 4 years all it did was muck up the advancement of better ram. just my opinion ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, I share your feelings about the rambus memory, nowadays Rambus is society who lives just with patent litigations.

I have another question, I found for a cheaper price a crimm labelled for compaq but I wonder if it's going to be compatible since compaq used 32bit rambus instead of the older 16 bit my machine uses.

Reply 10 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2021-07-19, 01:56:

Good luck on your new board ! Have always hated RDram/RAMbus, figured it was Intels way of getting even for us who built are own computers off clone boards back in the late 90's with SDRAM and waiting for DDR and so created it just to eff with us.
'RDRAM was controversial during its widespread use by Intel for having high licensing fees, high cost, being a proprietary standard, and low performance advantages for the increased cost over SDRAM and with DDR SDRAM soon coming out they got embroiled in a standards war trying to make RDram the new standard'

Ok just my opinion but for 4 years all it did was muck up the advancement of better ram. just my opinion ;p

Oh, very true, Rambus was awful back in the day. But now it's dirt cheap and interesting. Plus it matches the bus of the Pentium 4 extremely well (high aggregate bandwidth, never mind the latencies), so it's an elegant combination, technically speaking.

In fact you could almost argue the reverse: there was a perfectly valid use case for RAM with RDRAM specs, but that use case was undermined by Rambus themselves and their toxic marketing/litigation to the point that everyone, eventually including Intel, dumped RDRAM even in cases where it could have shined. Idiots.

Reply 11 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I installed 2 rambus modules and 2 crimms, when I boot the motherboard it gives me 3 short beeps.
I fear it is dead, I had some 775 motherboards that were doing the same despite the installed ram was working :\

The chipset gets warm, while the memory keeps being cold

Reply 12 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nemo1985 wrote on 2021-08-02, 10:48:

So I installed 2 rambus modules and 2 crimms, when I boot the motherboard it gives me 3 short beeps.
I fear it is dead, I had some 775 motherboards that were doing the same despite the installed ram was working :\

The chipset gets warm, while the memory keeps being cold

So just to check, this is with the rambus modules in slots 1 & 3 and the crimms in slots 2 & 4?

According to this link, 3 short beeps is a memory parity check error - https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816

Maybe try clearing the cmos, in case the previous owner had ECC enabled (default is disabled)

Reply 13 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the tip, rambus are installed in slot 1 and 2 while crimms are in 3 and 4.
Actually the 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error.
But i'm going to give a try anyway, I'm going to switch the rambus on slot 3 and crimm on slot 2

Aaaaaaaaaand it boots fine! Thank you very much!

Reply 14 of 14, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So today I got the other 2 rimms modules, now I have 1 gb of ram, the motherboard works like a charme.

There were few non updated microcodes, so I updated them manually as I always do. I post them there in case someone may be interested, I also disabled the full screen bios image.

That being said, apparently the motherboard works fine with 133 mhz, so I was wondering which cpu I could install on it.

According to gigabyte the fastest cpu it can handle is the P4-Northwood 2.4G (400 mhz bus version), but since it works with 133 mhz, I was wondering to use a p4 northwood 2.8ghz (533)?

Any suggestion is welcome as always

I tried a northwood 2.4ghz 533, now something weird is happening here, it depends on the stepping of the cpu it may work at 533 or may not work, actually:
SL6EU and SL6SH don't work, while the SL6DV works fine, it's weird because the SH is newer than DV...

As a side note, probably a 400 mhz is better than a 533, because it allows some bus and therefore memory overclocking, performance of rambus are anyway really low compared to ddr!
Furthermore there is no setting for memory timings in the bios... wow!

Attachments