VOGONS

First post, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Can anyone confirm that this slotket model works with a coppermine P3, preferably in a P3B-F 1.03?

Because I can't get it to work. With a 800EB SL464 or a 900MHz Celeron SL5EX it never outputs a single code to the POST card. With a 566MHz SL5L5 Celeron it will output the first POST code C0 most of the time, and occasionally also a second one. So obviously the CPU is executing code briefly before crashing. Slot1 800EB or Slot1 P2s run absolutely fine. Bios is the latest beta. Voltages on the back of the adapter socket seem fine: 1.75 Vcore, 1.5Vtt/V_1_5, 1.0Vref. I've also replaced the caps and added some 22uF MLCCs to those rails. They look steady on the scope. I ordered a Mendocino Celeron just to see if this slotket has a general problem or if it is limited to P3 only.

P1110538.JPG
Filename
P1110538.JPG
File size
376.54 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
P1110540.JPG
Filename
P1110540.JPG
File size
356.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Ignore the wire on the Vtt trace and the MLCC caps on the Vtt/Vcore traces.

Thanks,
Marco

Reply 1 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a very similar slotket, that works just fine with Coppermine. IIRC the socket connections had some waxy residue on them though, perhaps flux, or some kind of electronics grease that had dried up. Mine was new in box.

Rubbed the residue off and got it working by installing a CPU in the socket, and open/close the lever 30 times or so. Easy enough to try at least 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a Shuttle HOT-C003 - see attached info.
It supports Coppermine but in the lower half of page 1 it reads:
"max. 100MHz fsb, max. 800 CPU-frequency"

Filename
HOT-C003 (Print-Version).pdf
File size
155.07 KiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@kaputnik
🤣 it worked, at least to some degree. I took out the slotket and CPUs dozens of times already and did not seriously believe in any remaining contact problems anymore. This time, I flushed the whole socket with WD40 and closed/opened it a couple dozen times with a CPU inserted. And voila: The Celeron 566 posted first try. It never did before no matter how often I inserted it. I also tried all other 370 CPUs mentioned above but still none of those work (they do work fine in a 370 CUV4X board). The 566 continues to work now even after unplugging/plugging the slotket or the CPU. So it seems your trick did indeed help!

@PARKE
Thanks! I'm tempted to believe that there has to be some headroom above the 800MHz to make the Celeron 900 run. And the EB800 should run with 100 FSB. Maybe I've got more contact problems.

Reply 4 of 8, by watz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@kaputnik, you made my day. Even though I have blisters on my fingers now.

Using your technique and making a mess with WD40 eventually brought all my 370 CPUs to life on the P3B-F. Even the Cyrix III 600, which never worked in any of my boards and thus I thought was dead, runs fine not only in that slotket but even other boards now. It was about time that I can finally enjoy the worst CPU the world has seen 😉

I'd never had thought that these shiny gold plated pins could have this much problems making proper contact.

SSTIMG06.jpg
Filename
SSTIMG06.jpg
File size
59.38 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 8, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
watz wrote on 2021-08-06, 12:29:
@kaputnik, you made my day. Even though I have blisters on my fingers now. […]
Show full quote

@kaputnik, you made my day. Even though I have blisters on my fingers now.

Using your technique and making a mess with WD40 eventually brought all my 370 CPUs to life on the P3B-F. Even the Cyrix III 600, which never worked in any of my boards and thus I thought was dead, runs fine not only in that slotket but even other boards now. It was about time that I can finally enjoy the worst CPU the world has seen 😉

I'd never had thought that these shiny gold plated pins could have this much problems making proper contact.

SSTIMG06.jpg

Ah, cool, glad to hear it worked 😁

You might want to clean that WD40 off with some electronics cleaning product, IPA, etc, that leaves no residue, though. Don't think WD40 ever evaporates completely, it might leave residues itself. There's no telling how it could affect the PCB substrate and components over time.

Reply 7 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah it does go sticky after a year or so.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got this exact slotket AND a P3B-f (and I'm not sure but I'd guess it's also 1.03). I'm currently running a coppermine P3 933 @140MHz fsb. Latest official BIOS from the Asus website. Rock stable.

Stuck at 10MHz...