VOGONS

First post, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Vogoners I'd like to ask you for your ideas regarding this issue
I have a 486 build with an Award BIOS (Asus VL/I-486SVGOX4 rev. 1.5) which works really well, VLB cards, cache, sound and whatnot... as long as it is positioned horizontally (laterally).
This is a Baby AT board so it is supposed to be in a tower case, which I did indeed put it into.
What I mean by not starting in a different position is not giving any POST indication at all on ISA POST reader. That said, its LEDs indicate 12v and 5v being present, also the system responds to SW reset.
I've removed every expansion card, shot some air in every slot, cleaned the SIMMs, VLBs, ISAs, BIOS ROM, P8/P9 power connector contacts with alcohol let it dry, alas the issue is still reproducible 9 out of 10 times.
I've looked closely and found no loose prongs, screws, jumpers etc. There is no sight of capacitor rot (besides it wouldn't explain proper booting in the other position).
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 2 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a strange one once, where a machine wouldn't boot when I screwed in the card brackets. Checked all round the card bracket, no shorts, wasn't a grounding thing... turned out the card was going "too far" into the slot, which shouldn't really have happened, some specs stacked negative or something. Anyway, there were traces above the edge connector that the socket was able to make contact with and short across.

So, what I'm suggesting might be happening, is that when the cards skew in the slots under weight, some trace or solder spot on the backside near the edge connector might make unwanted contact.... so try masking any areas where it looks like that could happen with tape or a masking compound.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good thought BitWrangler ! Have also seen where mounting horizontal works then flipping vertical causes the back side of the cards come out slightly due to your same theory of mis-aligned back panel to motherboard heights.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could also be cold solder joints under the slots or possibly the pads actually cracked off the board around the pins opening a gap.

Edit: Also check for anything loose in the power supply, stray screw or something. I swear if they're sitting around fan grill upwards any dropped screw heads straight for them.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 20, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sold a 486 Pc Chips 912 board that with a specific Cirrus Logic card wouldnt display in a case, but would post no problem on a test bench. Ended up beating on the bracket and cutting a bit off the bottom because it was a hair long and would cause the back part of the card to just slightly lose contact. Then it worked no problem

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ODwilly wrote on 2021-08-08, 02:26:

Ended up beating on the bracket and cutting a bit off the bottom because it was a hair long and would cause the back part of the card to just slightly lose contact. Then it worked no problem

Sometimes for that you can slacken the nuts on D connectors and screws on card and shift it a tad.

Reply 7 of 20, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone thank you for your many replies although none of them appear to be my situation directly it definitely gave me some thoughts in the right direction
I've decided to take it slowly and disassemble the entire build in order to eliminate any shorts etc. What gave me the idea is the system not even reaching 01 POST state which I found really weird.
What I've narrowed this down to is this reproducible situation, when I apply a moderate pressure with my hand to the CPU it does indeed POST, boot etc.
Disclaimer warning: do not fiddle with your hand inside a running computer, shocking hazard!

Now trying to eliminate the causes I've went through the following:

1. Checked for any bent, missing PGA pins.
  2. Tested with exactly the same type of CPU, just the different specimen (AMD 5x86-133)
  3. Tested both the CPUs in a different motherboard (V4P895P3), booted ok with both
  4. Shot some air in the CPU Socket
  5. Used alcohol on CPU PGA pins, did insert and lock cycle a few times

But all of those to no avail. Please kindly suggest your ideas regarding the socket as I do realize replacing it is not an easy task.
One more thing of note, I've noticed that regardless of applied pressure the pins sort of not go all the way in, leaving some 1mm air space which is equal at all sides. I don't see a way of pushing it "all the way" without dangerously excessive force. Please see attached photos.

Attachments

• socket force IMG_2280.JPG
    Filename
    socket force IMG_2280.JPG
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU is pressed down
    File license
    Public domain
  • socket no force IMG_2279.JPG
    Filename
    socket no force IMG_2279.JPG
    File size
    1002.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    no force applied to socket
    File license
    Public domain

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 8 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I'd want to pop the slider off the top of the socket and have a look inside there, maybe some random debris blocking the CPU from sitting all the way down.

Reply 9 of 20, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-11, 21:14:

Hmmm, I'd want to pop the slider off the top of the socket and have a look inside there, maybe some random debris blocking the CPU from sitting all the way down.

Good advice, that CPU should be flush in the socket. Apart from mystery crud, one of the pins inside the socket might be mangled causing this.

Reply 10 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I can see, the CPU is not inserted in the socket all the way - it seems that the gap between the socket and the edge is the CPU is bigger than it should be. Can't you really push deeper into the socket?

Attachments

• your.JPG
    Filename
    your.JPG
    File size
    415.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • my.jpg
    Filename
    my.jpg
    File size
    169.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 20, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the CPU doesn't go all the way in you may have to open the socket to see what's blocking it.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 12 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure the problem is that the CPU does not go all the way into the socket. 486 CPUs have 4 pins with some kind of "bulge" (one on each corner in the innermost row) which on certain sockets prevents the CPU to sit flush, and it leaves a small gap just as you show in the picture. I think it depends on the socket manufacturer, but I have definitely noticed that in certain cases and it works just fine regardless.

If the problem goes away when you apply pressure, I think it's more likely that some of the contacts inside of the socket are worn out, dirty or damaged. Ideally you could remove the top part of the socket and check that yourself, however there's always the risk of breaking the plastic tabs of the socket if you do that.

Reply 13 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using a small drill bit on the holes first 0.5mm where the pin keep the cpu up off the socket 7 should seat it nicely.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If he has this board (Asus VL/I-486SVGOX4 rev. 1.5 from the first post), it has a socket 3 and it seems to me that it is completely flat and the CPU should go lower.

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    Filename
    asus.jpg
    File size
    45.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 15 of 20, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already said, 486 processors have a small stop on one of the pins that prevents full insertion into some sockets. Although it is not okay to review it.
I would try to remove the bracket from the expansion cards to make sure the insertion is correct.
I know what

Attachments

• 486dx33.jpg
    Filename
    486dx33.jpg
    File size
    406.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see what you mean, and it's true, but still, the gap between the CPU and the socket seems (for me) larger than the ratio to the outlet inside the pins. But maybe it just looks that way because of the angle of the shot?

Attachments

• orig.JPG
    Filename
    orig.JPG
    File size
    610.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • gapa.jpg
    Filename
    gapa.jpg
    File size
    218.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 20, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't trust that the socket is okay, you can always disassemble it But since the plastic is old, it may break. I have never personally done it in a socket 3, done it in a socket 370 and in an AM2, the latter had a broken pin inside that prevented inserting the processor.
But if the connection between the processor and the socket fails it will not be because it is not inserted to the bottom, in fact you could leave it a little slowed down a bit and it would work the same. If you disassemble it, you will understand what I mean. Look for photographs of disassembled ZIF CPU sockets for reference.
In this post, a member disassembles a socket 7.
Replacing a broken socket 7 cpu latch/lever
It seems more logic that it has a cold solder joint if it works applying pressure.
But sometimes there are goblins inside computers. 😀

Reply 18 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tips for potentially brittle plastic, get it warm, put a hairdryer on it for a bit, but don't go warmer than you can bear to touch. If possible, apply gentle leverage at several points or along a line if possible so that one single point is not overstressed.

In general, if your socket looks like a unicorn, proceed with extreme caution, or put up with it how it is. Otherwise, determine if in worst case scenario, you can buy a scrap, burned or parts only board with the same socket cheap enough to steal the socket parts off if bad things happen.

Reply 19 of 20, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2021-08-13, 13:05:

As already said, 486 processors have a small stop on one of the pins that prevents full insertion into some sockets.

My bad, I took a better look, and only now do I understand what You and TheMobRules meant - pin stop, right? I'm sorry, my English is really desperate and I didn't get it right away.
This could be the reason for the gap between the socket and the CPU, although the holes for these pins are deeper in the socket than for the smooth ones. I don't have better photos, but perhaps it's noticeable compared to the other holes...
Do these stops have all 486 CPUs? I never noticed it (I have an Am486DX2 66).

Attachments

• hls.jpg
    Filename
    hls.jpg
    File size
    104.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • holes.jpg
    Filename
    holes.jpg