VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i got this card ExpertColor T2000 PCI it has 2 MB and composite and s-video out, what is not typical for such old cards.
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/companies/ite … pertcolor-t2000

Is good or bad for Dos / Win9x 2D games and i never heard about this company / chip / card..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few of their cards; they're quite common. ExpertColor is just their branding, but the company is called DataExpert

Your card: https://web.archive.org/web/19980128200549/ht … rias/ca2000.htm

Drivers: https://web.archive.org/web/19980128195139/ht … erac.htm#CA2212

Reply 2 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, DataExpert is my link too, but it is still unknown to me, im trying to find some review etc.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-07, 09:19:

Thanks, DataExpert is my link too, but it is still unknown to me, im trying to find some review etc.

Had a quick look round the usual sites (live & archived) for reviews but none showed, though these are a few related posts from TheFreeLibrary

https://web.archive.org/web/20160227092550/ht … a...-a019174004
https://web.archive.org/web/20160227092541/ht … oder-a018695485
https://web.archive.org/web/20160227092535/ht … S...-a019210672

Tha actual chip, the CyberPro2000, was developed by IGS Technologies (later Tvia) - https://web.archive.org/web/19980204192713/ht … broc/2000br.htm

Although the drivers on the DataExpert site are sparse, there are still generic files for the chip from IGS / Tiva on archive.org, covering DOS, OS/2 and Windows 3.x, NT3.x, NT3.5x, NT4 & Windows 95

There's also a manual for the card attached

Filename
CA2000.doc
File size
3.69 MiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks but these are just more detailed specs, official marketing stuff.. i would still like to know if someone used it for games and how it worked.

Reply 5 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this card benchmarked in my PCI video cards thread. Overall it's very lackluster card, but I had no serious problems with it, unlike previous IGS chip. I think IGS were banking too heavily on MPEG decoding features.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-05-08, 13:38:

I have this card benchmarked in my PCI video cards thread.

Pleas post the link, there are couple of such threads.

Reply 8 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, i did almost same thing with more cards and cpus (it make sense because of scaling) with virtualization comparasion etc before and im still adding new cards.
Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200!
It would make sense to merge results..

If this card is faster that some Virges its not bad one.

Reply 9 of 12, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this card is faster that some Virges its not bad one.

It doesn't, even the bad ones. And in more demanding scenarios its direct successor (Canarias 3000) is 1.5x-2.0x faster. Also let's not forget about abysmally low performance for Windows games.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 12, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For example here its quicker, than slower Virges:
download/file.php?id=78011&mode=view
download/file.php?id=78015&mode=view

Reply 12 of 12, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-07, 07:49:

Is good or bad for Dos / Win9x 2D games and i never heard about this company / chip / card..

Hi there ruthan I know this is an old thread but for anyone stumbling upon the matter I too have this ExpertColor "Canarias CA2212" PCI card which apparently is a rebranded IGS CyberPro 2000.
I did a quick test in Quake at 320x240 and it performed on par with more popular cards of the same year (1997 S3 Virge DX and ATi Rage II+DVD)
The analog TV-out is handy as well as SOJ slots for memory expansion. On the downside is poor overall picture quality especially in text modes and the utility that came with the Windows 95 driver is rather sketchy.

Attachments

• Filename
    WIN95V.206.zip
    File size
    956.52 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File comment
    IGS CyberPro 2000 ExpertColor Canarias 2000 CA2212 Windows 95 driver
    File license
    Public domain
  • dataexpert ca2000 benchmark.png