VOGONS

First post, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up an A500 from eBay the other week and it’s missing it’s front panel power / reset / HDD LEDs unfortunately, almost as if they were intentionally removed and gutted.

Does anyone know where I can source new / alternate ones? The interweb isn’t throwing up much that I can see. It would be a bummer seeing this case go without.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A pic would help.

Is it just missing the LEDs or the whole LED and button assembly?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My bad, it’s just the LEDs but the power button sure feels like it’s been ripped apart and amateurishly put back together again. It’s all squishy and doesn’t push / retract cleanly - though that could also be mid-90s technology.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi pixelatedscraps, I have this specific revision of Inwin A500, I assume the one that is still an AT version instead of ATX.
I did not find any part number or label on the panel in question but here are the pictures. It is a small plastic frame with LED and reset switch holders which uses 2 screws.
The power button is actually pushing the PSU AT switch directly, does not have any spring or circuitry behind it. Depending on the switch the button may be slightly wobbly but nevertheless it is protruding when not pressed. The reset button is a general clickable switch covered by another tiny piece of white plastic it does not have any spring.
I assume your best bet is scrapping a spare case for that specific part.

Attachments

• IMG_2536.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2536.JPG
    File size
    270.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Inwin A500 AT
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2537.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2537.JPG
    File size
    396.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Inwin A500 AT
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2538.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2538.JPG
    File size
    410.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Inwin A500 AT
    File license
    Public domain

Now playing:
The Dig: 1995 VLB 486
Arcanum: 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports list | Navigation thread

Reply 4 of 6, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome, thanks for taking those shots for me. Seeing as these -500 cases are as rare as a 5x86 120 or RTX 3090 at MSRP I may be waiting a while to find one to gut for its LEDs. Might be worth a look on Taobao or Aliexpress though.

Reply 5 of 6, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-09-10, 09:25:

these -500 cases are as rare

I remember this and similar models were all over the place around year 2000, offices, schools etc.
So there are probably a lot on sale for cheap although not many people outside the community specify the model in the listing.
I'd also check if later ATX revisions from 2003-2004 use the same part you are looking for. It may be the design hasn't changed.

Now playing:
The Dig: 1995 VLB 486
Arcanum: 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports list | Navigation thread

Reply 6 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I happened on this searching the A500 here.
It's very rare by now, I'm afraid. There's one on sale on ebay atm but won't be for long, I'm sure.

The LED assembly, consider reconstructing its "glass" out of acrylic from a hobby shop, that should be doable and look ok from the outside.
In case you're new to electronics: The LEDs themselves are utterly generic parts, just the typical 5 mm LEDs you'll be able to order for a buck. You could chose your own colors 😉

Reset button: 3D printer job, any old push button behind that, some hot glue.
Really not worth gutting another case, why would you?

The "gutted front panel", sadly, that's a somewhat frequent phenomenon.
Idiots who want to sell the motherboard think the front panel cables belong to the mobo and so do the LEDs and buttons. So they ruin a 100 € AT tower for a 20 € motherboard...

I like jumpers.