VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got a Chicony 386/40 CH-386-33A/40A motherboard for a new system build. The motherboard was upgraded with CR2032 coin cell battery holder. The CMOS settings are retained, but when powered off the computer the date and time will not update. I replaced the CR2032 with a known working battery. I had a similar problem with my 386SX/40 build and it was corrected by placing a jumper on the middle two pins on the external battery connector on the motherboard. I tried that here, but with no luck. I am including a picture of the board and a close up of the are with the battery. Jumper J10 is for an External Battery.

https://th99.infania.net/m/C-D/30322.htm

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    337.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Main motherboard
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    File size
    356.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Closeup of battery and J10 jumper
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What voltage was the old Varta ? Many of the old 286, 386 used a 4.5v external if the 3.7v Varta was removed. The CR2032 may not be supplying enough voltage.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-09-11, 16:31:

What voltage was the old Varta ? Many of the old 286, 386 used a 4.5v external if the 3.7v Varta was removed. The CR2032 may not be supplying enough voltage.....

The CR2032 was already installed when I got the board, so I don't know the previous voltage. My next best option is to rig up an external battery at a 4.5v. I have battery case and just need to connect the lead to it. I can also just set the time with MTCP on startup as well as I have 3C509 ISA network card installed. Lastly, I wonder if 3.6v coin cell battery would provide enough voltage to work?

Reply 3 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would try the external 4.5v first, that would rule out a board issue if it works. A rare few old boards had a 4.5v rechargeable not the 3.7v. Trying the 4.5v external will help find out as those boards needed 6v external (more diodes from the external pins to actual cmos battery traces). A 3.6v coin cell might work, is closer to the original typical 3.7v than a 3v 2032 but would still try the 4.5v external first....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-09-11, 16:51:

I would try the external 4.5v first, that would rule out a board issue if it works. A rare few old boards had a 4.5v rechargeable not the 3.7v. Trying the 4.5v external will help find out as those boards needed 6v external (more diodes from the external pins to actual cmos battery traces). A 3.6v coin cell might work, is closer to the original typical 3.7v than a 3v 2032 but would still try the 4.5v external first....

I did test RTC using Checkit and it tested Ok. I suspect it is too low a voltage using a CR2032 at this point.

Reply 5 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it had mTCPs NTP application running from the autoexec.bat file on start up I wouldn't worry about it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-11, 19:11:

If it had mTCPs NTP application running from the autoexec.bat file on start up I wouldn't worry about it.

I added MTCP to my AUTOEXEC as suggested and it works just fine. I load the 3C5X9PD packet driver, set the time and then unload the packet driver from memory. This turns out to be a quick and easy solution that does take up any memory. I have separate batch file load networking if need it to transfer files.

Reply 7 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-09-11, 22:20:

I added MTCP to my AUTOEXEC as suggested and it works just fine. I load the 3C5X9PD packet driver, set the time and then unload the packet driver from memory. This turns out to be a quick and easy solution that does take up any memory. I have separate batch file load networking if need it to transfer files.

Good on you...😉

Reply 8 of 19, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems the 32,768Hz oscillator needs more than 3V to run.
Have seen this quite often.

These boards with the barrel battery were supposed to be regularly turned on, charging the battery.
And the NiCd characteristics is that the voltage only drops sharply when near to empty.
So, back then there was no perceived actual need to make sure that the oscillator runs at less than 3.6V.

In this case a 4.5V battery actually seems the only practical solution.

Reply 9 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-09-11, 22:41:
Seems the 32,768Hz oscillator needs more than 3V to run. Have seen this quite often. […]
Show full quote

Seems the 32,768Hz oscillator needs more than 3V to run.
Have seen this quite often.

These boards with the barrel battery were supposed to be regularly turned on, charging the battery.
And the NiCd characteristics is that the voltage only drops sharply when near to empty.
So, back then there was no perceived actual need to make sure that the oscillator runs at less than 3.6V.

In this case a 4.5V battery actually seems the only practical solution.

I did a little more research and there are LIR 2032/H batteries that are 3.6/3.7 volt. They are also rechargeable. I wonder if that could be a workable solutions as well?

Reply 10 of 19, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-09-11, 23:21:

I did a little more research and there are LIR 2032/H batteries that are 3.6/3.7 volt. They are also rechargeable. I wonder if that could be a workable solutions as well?

Only use NiCD batteries!
But this only viable if you use (and thus recharge the battery) the computer at least a few hours daily.
Otherwise the next spill is pre-programmed.

Never ever use lithium rechargeable batteries in circuits made for NiCD!
You certainly do not want a fire/explosion hazard!

Edit: I tried, but somehow I failed to set the font size of the bold text above to "Large". How can I do this?

Reply 11 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I dunno, I guess it does it automatically if you type louder

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-09-11, 23:45:
Only use NiCD batteries! But this only viable if you use (and thus recharge the battery) the computer at least a few hours daily […]
Show full quote
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-09-11, 23:21:

Only use NiCD batteries!
But this only viable if you use (and thus recharge the battery) the computer at least a few hours daily.
Otherwise the next spill is pre-programmed.

Never ever use lithium rechargeable batteries in circuits made for NiCD!
You certainly do not want a fire/explosion hazard!

Edit: I tried, but somehow I failed to set the font size of the bold text above to "Large". How can I do this?

Thanks for that info. I was not aware of that with rechargable Lithium Ion batteries. The 4.5v external battery is going to be the solution then or just run MTCP in the AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Reply 13 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-11, 23:59:

Edit: go to full editor, use the AA dropdown at top right and if bold is breaking it, try putting bold outside size tags.

Edit2: Wrong lever Cronk! that wasn't an edit 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 19, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-11, 23:59:

Ahh, thank you for teaching me how to type REALLY LOUD 😀

Ouch...

Forums software wrote:

You may only use fonts up to size 150.

jasa1063 wrote on 2021-09-12, 00:06:

...just run MTCP in the AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Yes, MTCP seems to be an economic solution.
The alkaline batteries tend to last not very long, and this is a real hassle.
Because, the oscillator in many of these rechargeable-battery-designs seems not be designed for low power usage/sustained battery operation.

Reply 15 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're maybe too young to know, but there also were external radio receivers for DCF-77 time signal that could be attached on a serial port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUTV66A_V8

This was the professional way of keeping devices in sync. 😀

Edit: I forgot your location, silly me. In that land far away from civilized Europe, there's likely no reception of it. 😉

Edit: JJY seems to be the last one that can be received.
Anyway, the Japanese have a good technology, at least.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJY
https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid … &topicid=181404

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

US had time signals on Low radio frequencies, thought I heard they were shutting them down though. I'm thinking naval one at Annapolis right now, fergetted... wikipedia should know...

Edit: Okay, that's the one that's still going https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWVB searching Forrest Mims or Steve Ciarcia and WWVB might get you circuits to adapt.

Reply 17 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-12, 02:13:
You're maybe too young to know, but there also were external radio receivers for DCF-77 time signal that could be attached on a […]
Show full quote

You're maybe too young to know, but there also were external radio receivers for DCF-77 time signal that could be attached on a serial port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUTV66A_V8

This was the professional way of keeping devices in sync. 😀

Edit: I forgot your location, silly me. In that land far away from civilized Europe, there's likely no reception of it. 😉

Edit: JJY seems to be the last one that can be received.
Anyway, the Japanese have a good technology, at least.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJY
https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid … &topicid=181404

I bet I'm older than you.

Edit:Nothing to add or alter.....

Reply 18 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 thanks, you all gave me a good laugh !

Reply 19 of 19, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I removed the coin cell battery and rigged up an external 4.5v battery today. The time is now updating normally with the computer turned off. I am just relieved to know that there is no damage to the motherboard as far as the RTC is concerned.