Reply 10560 of 53309, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stuvize wrote:
kithylin wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I like the idea of using a newer S775 boards with these chips. Does the newer chipset and memory make much of a difference compared to running these chips on a period correct board?

I have a 3.2 prescott in this 775 board right now to play with while I wait for the cedar mill chips to arrive. I'm not sure if it's any faster or slower than the older boards.. I need to hunt down some old benchmarks for when these prescott 775 chips were new here in a little while then try to replicate em and compare.

I can't get this prescott chip to budge a single +1 mhz over stock for some odd reason in this board. It just goes in to an endless boot-loop when I try then comes back stock again. Then again this thing only lets me put max 1.4v v-core on these old prescott chips.. and at stock intel runs this 3.2 chip at 1.36v already, so that might be why.

Yes Prescotts are very power hungry some LGA 775 boards only conform to 85 watt TDP standards which leaves little headroom for overclocking and 115 watt TDP Prescott like the 670 will run at a reduced multiplier in theses boards. Cedar Mill P4s are 65nm and more energy efficient never had one myself but they are supposed to overclock better than Prescotts you should get 4Ghz easy out of those Cedar Mills

And I found an old page.. I might link it later. But basically the cedar mill P4's, some of them received a "refresh" near the tail end of their life. In september and august 2006 Intel released D0 stepping for the Pentium 4 6x1 chips. D0 revision added EIST, C1E, and ThermalMonitor2, and also received power circuitry from the core2 line, which reduced TDP from the 86W envelope down to 65W for D0.

Effected processors and stepping codes are here:

Pentium 4 661 (3.6 GHz): SL96H (C1) - > SL9KD (D0);
Pentium 4 651 (3.4 GHz): SL96J (C1) - > SL9KE (D0);
Pentium 4 641 (3.2 GHz): SL96K (C1) - > SL9KF (D0);
Pentium 4 631 (3.0 GHz): SL96L (C1) - > SL9KG (D0).

The visual differences are seen here:
intel-d0-stepping_01.jpg

C1 (Left) and D0 (Right)

So reading all of this, I specifically bought the D0 chips, found by their stepping code in ebay. 😀

Reply 10561 of 53309, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see vintage laptops/notebooks a lot on Craigslist but never get excited. 🤣

Reply 10562 of 53309, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today i picked up from local seller something excited that makes me one step closer to my neo-classic Core project,Gentlemen behold:

Never used Asus Silent Knight Al in mint condition,got full set even with stock Asus thermal paste 🤣

SRylEGBl.jpgeNgDt9al.jpg8U3HbVPl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10563 of 53309, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:
Today i picked up from local seller something excited that makes me one step closer to my neo-classic Core project,Gentlemen beh […]
Show full quote

Today i picked up from local seller something excited that makes me one step closer to my neo-classic Core project,Gentlemen behold:

Never used Asus Silent Knight Al in mint condition,got full set even with stock Asus thermal paste 🤣

SRylEGBl.jpgeNgDt9al.jpg8U3HbVPl.jpg

Wow...that thing looks totally awesome! 😁

So which warpfactor you gonna overclocking your CPU to? 😜

Anyway, I did find a couple humble things at the thrift store today, 2 floppy boxes and a single IDE DVD drive with silver front bezel (most I seen with a silvery front are CDROM drives or sometimes just CDROM burners).
The DVD drive is second hand so hoping it will still work, but the 2 floppy boxes (they are the hard plastic type that open by pushing the top sideways, so to day) are shrinkwrapped together, along with what appears to be an original label inside the shrinkwrap, and it appears to be brand new and unused. Not bad, I can do another unboxing 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10564 of 53309, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Wow...that thing looks totally awesome! :D […]
Show full quote

Anyway, I did find a couple humble things at the thrift store today, 2 floppy boxes and a single IDE DVD drive with silver front bezel (most I seen with a silvery front are CDROM drives or sometimes just CDROM burners).
The DVD drive is second hand so hoping it will still work, but the 2 floppy boxes (they are the hard plastic type that open by pushing the top sideways, so to day) are shrinkwrapped together, along with what appears to be an original label inside the shrinkwrap, and it appears to be brand new and unused. Not bad, I can do another unboxing 🤣!

I still have Engineering Sample of Core 2 Extreme X6800(that i used in main pc few years ago) so using multiplier ofc (just wait until Conroe 10 years celebrating and i'll show to ya all my beast) 🤣
Btw silver-colored dvd drive is nice find,especially for thermaltake cases,they liked silver colour much in 04-06 cases

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10565 of 53309, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

C2d is still way too new for my taste. Hell, my sister uses one as her main pc still. I use them at work. IMHO agp p4's are the end of "retro".

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10566 of 53309, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

C2d is still way too new for my taste. Hell, my sister uses one as her main pc still. I use them at work. IMHO agp p4's are the end of "retro".

Some kind of true that,but this gonna be not "retro" pc,just how i see perfect XP rig

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10567 of 53309, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My most modern PC is a CORE2 e6600, 4 gig ram and Geforce 9800 GTX+.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 10568 of 53309, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BSA Starfire wrote:

My most modern PC is a CORE2 e6600, 4 gig ram and Geforce 9800 GTX+.

If question in that point - yes i clearly understand that classic and and retro different for everyone and some coincides.
For myself i consider retro that starts in 80s and ends in 90s/ early 00s,all other i interested in usually things that i didnt played with yet but always wanted to try like different generation platforms/high-end gear/specific/server gear 😊

off top: on my work overwhelming majority of pc park is P4/Core 2 based usually with XP,ppl still work with it every day...

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10569 of 53309, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rein_ein wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Wow...that thing looks totally awesome! :D […]
Show full quote

I still have Engineering Sample of Core 2 Extreme X6800(that i used in main pc few years ago) so using multiplier ofc (just wait until Conroe 10 years celebrating and i'll show to ya all my beast) 🤣
Btw silver-colored dvd drive is nice find,especially for thermaltake cases,they liked silver colour much in 04-06 cases

Wow...that's extremely nice! 😁
ES chips are awesome! And I actually prefer the extra flexibility, it's part of the reason my Phenom II is a BE 😁

Yup, for some reason I found most silver optical drives were either CDROM burners or the plain CDROM drives. I ended up using black DVD drives in a couple of my silver-cased retro builds but a silver colored DVD drive would be more esthetically correct 😜

luckybob wrote:

I'd personally add Athlon64 to this group, it's almost the same performance wise, heck even most of the components were very similar 😁
To me retro kinda ends with s478 and s754/s939, but it's a bit of a gliding scale to me as I see something like Pentium 3 as a bit more retro.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10570 of 53309, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:

Personally I avoid ES CPU's like the plague that they are. Most of them have very bad compatibility problems with certain games and programs, may crash a lot, and otherwise be completely unstable even at their stock speeds. Nevermind that technically it's illegal to buy them, even if they are old by now. Which owning illegal hardware has a terrible bad feeling in my mind, sort of like owning stolen goods. That's just me though.

Reply 10571 of 53309, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good. More for me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10572 of 53309, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Personally I avoid ES CPU's like the plauge that they are. Most of them have very bad compatibility problems with certain games and programs, may crash a lot, and otherwise be completely unstable even at their stock speeds. Nevermind that technically it's illegal to buy them, even if they are old by now. Which owning illegal hardware has a terrible bad feeling in my mind, sort of like owning stolen goods. That's just me though.

Also have engineering sample of P4 (even cpu world did know nothing about this stepping) and im fine with it,in other collection (i'm kinda like old phones and also love motorola phones alot) that has at least 10 engineering and 1 unreleased phones...

Edit here the pic if someone interested:

efjBM6Rl.jpg

Marking QRG8ES A4
As i remember it's Northwood with hyper-threading but not sure about clocks

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10573 of 53309, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I see vintage laptops/notebooks a lot on Craigslist but never get excited. 🤣

But this one tries desperately to be like a desktop! 🤣

Granted, a proper desktop would be easier to set up. More options, too. But just imagine... If you'd manage to find few more LTE's of different CPU power that are compatible with the docking station and configure them all to different OS's... you would have a base for a desktop where you can swap CPU and OS like cassettes if required! (Well, you'd still need to boot up in between)

I mean how cool would that be?! 😁

Reply 10574 of 53309, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rein_ein wrote:
Also have engineering sample of P4 (even cpu world did know nothing about this stepping) and im fine with it,in other collection […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

Personally I avoid ES CPU's like the plauge that they are. Most of them have very bad compatibility problems with certain games and programs, may crash a lot, and otherwise be completely unstable even at their stock speeds. Nevermind that technically it's illegal to buy them, even if they are old by now. Which owning illegal hardware has a terrible bad feeling in my mind, sort of like owning stolen goods. That's just me though.

Also have engineering sample of P4 (even cpu world did know nothing about this stepping) and im fine with it,in other collection (i'm kinda like old phones and also love motorola phones alot) that has at least 10 engineering and 1 unreleased phones...

Edit here the pic if someone interested:

efjBM6Rl.jpg

Marking QRG8ES A4
As i remember it's Northwood with hyper-threading but not sure about clocks

Found it for you, part number matches at least.. but stepping code is still unknown. Is it unlocked multiplier? www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel- ... 667D).html

Reply 10575 of 53309, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

Personally I avoid ES CPU's like the plague that they are. Most of them have very bad compatibility problems with certain games and programs, may crash a lot, and otherwise be completely unstable even at their stock speeds. Nevermind that technically it's illegal to buy them, even if they are old by now. Which owning illegal hardware has a terrible bad feeling in my mind, sort of like owning stolen goods. That's just me though.

Maybe ASRock keep selling ES motherboards... would explain why I've had three Z170 boards from them and none work right. And retro hardware is supposed to be hard to sort out!

Reply 10576 of 53309, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been buying paper weights to fix up for future "retro" builds before they get to be too uncommon or prices start creeping up.

3870 x2 for $27 (needs reflow but displays image)
5970 for $30 shipped (occasionally crashes but will reflow)
4870 x2 for $25 shipped but hasn't arrived yet
GTX 480 for $36 but hasn't arrived yet and expecting reflow
X1950 Pro agp (512mb) for like $12 (untested)
Trident 9880 for $6 and change lel
Two 9800 XT for like $28, one worked outright but the other needed reflow and is working well now

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10577 of 53309, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MSI K8N Neo3-FSR. NF4 socket 754 board is always nice to have. 😀
754_1uzu44.jpg

754_2smuv8.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 10578 of 53309, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
Been buying paper weights to fix up for future "retro" builds before they get to be too uncommon or prices start creeping up. […]
Show full quote

Been buying paper weights to fix up for future "retro" builds before they get to be too uncommon or prices start creeping up.

3870 x2 for $27 (needs reflow but displays image)
5970 for $30 shipped (occasionally crashes but will reflow)
4870 x2 for $25 shipped but hasn't arrived yet
GTX 480 for $36 but hasn't arrived yet and expecting reflow
X1950 Pro agp (512mb) for like $12 (untested)
Trident 9880 for $6 and change lel
Two 9800 XT for like $28, one worked outright but the other needed reflow and is working well now

That's a lot of reflowing! 😲
Maybe if I want to be in the retro business I'd better get me a retro oven, just for the sake of completeness and for total immersion 😜

havli wrote:
MSI K8N Neo3-FSR. NF4 socket 754 board is always nice to have. :happy: https://abload.de/img/754_1uzu44.jpg […]
Show full quote

MSI K8N Neo3-FSR. NF4 socket 754 board is always nice to have. 😀
754_1uzu44.jpg

754_2smuv8.jpg

Agreed 😀
Too bad I had to mess a similar board up by a slip of the screwdriver...but that HSF was virtually impossible to remove without breaking anything (including the screwdriver, absolutely horrible design) and I forgot to protect the PCB with a credit card or something else stiff enough to survive a single impact 😵

Report spammers here!

Reply 10579 of 53309, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just arrived today - Hewlett Packard Vectra VL2 4/50se ($19.99 + $21 shipping). Judging by the condition of this machine, it must have had a hard life. I spent nearly a good hour carefully vacuuming and blasting the layers of dust from within the chassis and power supply. You would think with the restricted airflow that something would have burned out long ago, but surprisingly it booted up almost instantly. I replaced the CR2032 battery and swapped out the dead Quantum ProDrive LPS 210MB drive with a Quantum 540AT 540MB drive. Not sure what the plans are for this yet, but it does need a bit more cleaning. Might upgrade the 8MB of RAM to 16MB.

JwfT48.jpg
DH6iZH.jpg
svmdkt.jpg