VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1120 of 53137, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spent a good chunk of the weekend playing X-Com in DOSBox on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. It's definitely a little more comfortable on my laptop's 17" screen (also 1920x1200), but there's no such thing as too big 😀

It also helps that I use output=opengl (plus fullresolution=0x0 and aspect=true), which applies bilinear filtering to the image during stretching. This gives DOS games a soft look that is more evocative of the CRT displays they were designed for. For me, the extreme sharpness of LCDs is much more jarring in old games than the larger sizes - especially if I have to deal with non-integer scaling factors.

Reply 1121 of 53137, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just sniped this auction off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330740385163

Not one, not 2, but THREE 1GHz Orion core Athlon slot A processors! It even looks like they come with high-performance aftermarket heatsinks. HOT PISS! I'm sorry if someone here was bidding on it. I watched a last-second $20 bid come in and I'm glad I had bid more! I'm hoping at least ONE of the processors works. If more than one works, I'll give someone here first dibbs before it goes to ebay. I don't see how I need more than one. 😜

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1122 of 53137, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Just sniped this auction off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330740385163

Not one, not 2, but THREE 1GHz Orion core Athlon slot A processors! It even looks like they come with high-performance aftermarket heatsinks. HOT PISS! I'm sorry if someone here was bidding on it. I watched a last-second $20 bid come in and I'm glad I had bid more! I'm hoping at least ONE of the processors works. If more than one works, I'll give someone here first dibbs before it goes to ebay. I don't see how I need more than one. 😜

But what about having spare parts? ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1123 of 53137, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes (okay most of the time) patience pays off! I originally wanted my Pentium 200MMX rig to have a Rendition Verite and a 3DFX Voodoo1. I settled for my spare partly-working Voodoo2 at first, and scored a free Verite 2100 from someone on a forum. The cheapest (and one of the only) Voodoo1 I could find on eBay was a $50 Diamond Monster 3D, so I decided to wait awhile and see if it dropped in price. After a month it dropped to 40, but I still wasn't sure I wanted to pay that, so I kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward a few months, and today I noticed it was still on my watch list, and the guy must have been desperate to get rid of it. I finally bought that card... for $14 shipped! Score! Now my Pentium will finally be complete per my vision.

Looks like it's a 4MB model, since Wikipedia indicates that's the only memory size Diamond's Voodoo1 boards came in. Here's the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View … cvip=true&rt=nc

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1124 of 53137, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I could get a 20" 1600 x 1200 screen but they are harder to find and cost quite a bit. With such a screen 320 x 200 games display perfect pixels with no scaling issues.

In theory, yes. In reality, not so much. Both my 1600x1200 TFTs still show uneven pixels in 320x200, and it's impossible to get rid of them with the monitor controls. 😒

Reply 1125 of 53137, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I could get a 20" 1600 x 1200 screen but they are harder to find and cost quite a bit. With such a screen 320 x 200 games display perfect pixels with no scaling issues.

In theory, yes. In reality, not so much. Both my 1600x1200 TFTs still show uneven pixels in 320x200, and it's impossible to get rid of them with the monitor controls. 😒

Is it maybe trying to reserve pixels to show the overscan border?

Reply 1126 of 53137, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
5u3 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is it maybe trying to reserve pixels to show the overscan border?

Nope, the automatic scan tries to fit the picture without the overscan border.
The problem seems to come from the A/D conversion of the signal - the clock/phase and position controls on the monitor are much too coarse in order to align the pixels properly.
Besides, many of those 1600x1200 business LCDs are limited to 60Hz - say goodbye to smooth VGA scrolling.

Reply 1127 of 53137, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone tried one of these "MediaMax" white-label hard drives?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-40GB-7200RPM-8MB- … R-/110681097628

At $16 shipped it's not much of a gamble, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has had any experience with them. They seem a little suspicious. 😉

Reply 1128 of 53137, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stay away from white label drives. The company you linked says they're OEM units, but that sounds very fishy to me... OEM units would still be marked with either the original manufacturer name (which, judging by the pictures, is WD), or with the name of some major company like Compaq or Dell or whatever... not some random company you've never heard of.

Usually such drives are third-party refurbs... meaning, they were dead drives bought up by some random company and repaired. They can't sell them as the original drive brand, so they stick their own label on them.

Pretty much all those companies are sorta fly-by-night operations, and there's no guarantee of the quality of work they do... I'd suspect most of 'em don't even have a clean room or anything. Often, they just throw together parts from several drives to make one unit that works long enough for them to sell for a quick buck.

You're better off just picking up used drives.

Reply 1129 of 53137, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is easily the biggest bargain I've gotten myself on eBay - a Music Quest MQX-32m MIDI interface for 1 cent (plus $7.50 postage):

IMG_2682.jpg

It arrived last night so I popped it into an awaiting 386DX-40, paired it with a SB Pro 2.0, hooked it up to a MT-32 and... nothing. The jumper settings were incorrect it turned out, but a bit of googling found the settings for 2/9 330 (included below), and away it went. I've tested it with Pohl's Gateway to confirm that it can handle intelligent mode and yes it can, hooray!

snag-00337jq9.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

Reply 1131 of 53137, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

Sometimes (okay most of the time) patience pays off! I originally wanted my Pentium 200MMX rig to have a Rendition Verite and a 3DFX Voodoo1. I settled for my spare partly-working Voodoo2 at first, and scored a free Verite 2100 from someone on a forum. The cheapest (and one of the only) Voodoo1 I could find on eBay was a $50 Diamond Monster 3D, so I decided to wait awhile and see if it dropped in price. After a month it dropped to 40, but I still wasn't sure I wanted to pay that, so I kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward a few months, and today I noticed it was still on my watch list, and the guy must have been desperate to get rid of it. I finally bought that card... for $14 shipped! Score! Now my Pentium will finally be complete per my vision.

Looks like it's a 4MB model, since Wikipedia indicates that's the only memory size Diamond's Voodoo1 boards came in. Here's the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View … cvip=true&rt=nc

Not bad, I scored a v1 my self a few weeks ago off amazon of all places. $14.48 after ship 😁

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1132 of 53137, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That is quite disappointing 😒

Is the behaviour different if you use DVI?

The 60Hz limit is also interesting. The Samsung I have does display on the info page that it runs at 70 (or was it 72) Hz and scrolling appears to be smooth. But I haven't really tested this yet.

What are some good games / demos to test this?

Reply 1133 of 53137, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is the behaviour different if you use DVI?

The 60Hz limit is also interesting. The Samsung I have does display on the info page that it runs at 70 (or was it 72) Hz and scrolling appears to be smooth. But I haven't really tested this yet.

What are some good games / demos to test this?

Haven't had much time to test this properly yet, but from a first glance, it's radically different via DVI.
It seems that the scaling is done by the video card and the refresh rate is forced to 60 Hz. I don't know if this is normal for DVI connections or just my card/monitor (Geforce TI4600/HP LP2065).

Good games to test for the VGA scrolling issue are pinball games like Pinball Dreams or Epic Pinball.

Reply 1134 of 53137, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picture89.jpg

Suma Platinum Sif Type B Geforce 2 MX 400 (faster specs then the normal retail version of the card)
Voodoo 3 3000
Radeon 9000 (Powercolor I think?)
Aopen Geforce 2 TI
Geforce FX 5200 (evga,bad caps)

Reply 1135 of 53137, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amstrad PPC640. 12mhz NEC v30, dual 720kb floppies, 640kb memory and *gasp* a modem! Between the three floppies I keep with it, I have the original MS-DOS 3.3 system disk, a desk that once had a terminal emulator but now has Jeopardy and Tetris on it and another floppy with ZZT and the EDIT program from MS-DOS 6. Need to dig around for another floppy so I can have Wheel of Fortune too.

I like that unlike so many other portables from the late 1980s, the CGA screen on this is proper aspect ratio. Unfortunately, the contrast isn't very good. The form-factor of the machine itself is very odd and cumbersome and heavy (22lbs) but the keyboard's nice and it's pretty rugged. If nothing more, it's an easy conversation piece and takes up less space than a real PC XT while having a faster cpu and a carry handle.

ZbxoY.jpg

Reply 1137 of 53137, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FaSMaN wrote:

Just bought a Nec PCX2 ,cant wait to test it against a voodoo1

After you snatched that card right infront of me I have now learned by my mistake and bookmarked Amibay's hardware trade and sale page. Also checking it daily. Not gonna happen again that someone get a PCX2 before me 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1138 of 53137, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry about that, when I saw it I just had to get it, I remember reading about them in the PC Format but for some reason they never sold them here, only voodoo 1 cards.

If its any consolation the card has found itself a good home, and I will be building a P1 233MMX dedicated just for it 😀

Reply 1139 of 53137, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No worries 😀 Put some pictures up in the system specs thread when you're done building it. You will probably be one of the few with a dedicated PowerVR machine.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes