Time for a graphics card change...

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 130, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

It's probably about as fast as a GF2 GTS. 2D quality will probably be just as bad, unless there's a DVI connector!
Tough luck 🙁

You're right, the 2D quality sucks and is worse than my Hercules GF2 GTS Pro (which actually has ok 2D quality for a Geforce card).... This Inno3D GF4 MX440SE has pretty much the same abysmal 2D quality as the Inno3D GF2 MX400 i binned a few days ago. I read that GF4 cards (including MX) were supposed to have superior 2D image quality compared to the GF2 (Of which the GF2 MX is supposed to be the worst).

I've emailed the seller and said i'm not happy. This card can't handle anything above 1024x768 or high refresh rates without looking like an out of focus/blurry mess 😒... It's a shame as the card itself looks brand new and shiny!

Reply 121 of 130, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I read that GF4 cards (including MX) were supposed to have superior 2D image quality compared to the GF2 (Of which the GF2 MX is supposed to be the worst).

This card can't handle anything above 1024x768 or high refresh rates without looking like an out of focus/blurry mess

First of all, you read true. I never saw a terrible GF4 MX card, and I've seen quite a few of GF2 epic fails. Your luck must really be lousy. 😒 Are you absolutely sure that its not the cable or connectors whats wrong?

Reply 122 of 130, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn, that sucks. 🙁

Reply 123 of 130, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I read that GF4 cards (including MX) were supposed to have superior 2D image quality compared to the GF2 (Of which the GF2 MX is supposed to be the worst).

This card can't handle anything above 1024x768 or high refresh rates without looking like an out of focus/blurry mess

First of all, you read true. I never saw a terrible GF4 MX card, and I've seen quite a few of GF2 epic fails. Your luck must really be lousy. 😒 Are you absolutely sure that its not the cable or connectors whats wrong?

Yeah, i'm not having much luck finding a decent replacement card... If only my G400 Max supported T&L and was a bit faster in 3D 😒. I'm absolutely positive it's not the cable or the monitors as my Matrox, 3DFX and ATI cards have been fine (tried it with both LCD and CRT with 2 sets of cables too!)... It looks ok'ish at higher resolutions when it's set to 60Hz, but looks blurry and out of focus if the refresh rate is set any higher!

I need to set the monitor timing to 'fixed aspect ratio' within the Geforce drivers for games such as Anachronox that run at 1280x960... My Hercules GF2 GTS/Pro can do this fine, but the Inno3D MX440SE gets very blurry when i change the monitor timing (even when the resolution and refresh rate stay the same).

Reply 124 of 130, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ebay seller is now sending me a passively cooled Asus Geforce4 MX440... The model is 'Asus V8170DDR/D/64M Rev 1.01' so it's not a crippled SE version either 😀.

I wonder how much difference there will be compared to a 64Mb Geforce 2 Pro?

Reply 125 of 130, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:

The ebay seller is now sending me a passively cooled Asus Geforce4 MX440... The model is 'Asus V8170DDR/D/64M Rev 1.01' so it's not a crippled SE version either 😀.

I wonder how much difference there will be compared to a 64Mb Geforce 2 Pro?

That guy is either a hero, or an idiot. Or both. The postage rates will by now by far out-weight the price of the card. He should have sent you 5 cards in a bulk, so you could select one and return the rest 😁

Anyway, good luck 😉

Reply 126 of 130, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some luck at last! The Asus Geforce4 MX440 is a keeper 😀. The card itself looks a bit plain and boring, but both the 2D and 3D image quality are pretty decent. It's definitely a bit faster at 32-bit than my Hercules GF2 Pro and it's quite a bit faster than the GF2 Pro with FSAA enabled (there are more AA options too!).

It's passively cooled, but the heatsink doesn't get very hot at all (unlike the Voodoo 3 and Banshee that can get very hot!). It's all good so far and there's probably no reason to keep my Hercules GF2 Pro (although the Hercules card looks nicer 🤣).

Reply 127 of 130, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah NV17 is a little spitfire of a chip. Shows you how inefficient NV15 was.

Reply 128 of 130, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well GF4MX is just the logical Upgrade to reuse GF2 in the low end segment. They just fixed the main bottleneck of the GF2, memory bandwidth by adding the GF4 series LMA2.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 129 of 130, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does GeForce3 have the same memory bottleneck as GeForce2?

Reply 130 of 130, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF3 was the first NV chip with significant bandwidth and fillrate efficiency tech. GF4MX and GF4Ti have improvements.