Topic actions

Reply 13220 of 53280, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

N64, a few Days ago.. 😀

n64.jpg

And today recieved a Primax Soundstorm! 😀 Finally i have a GUS! i waited a long time for this one..

IMG_20160809_122816.jpg

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13221 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

And today recieved a Primax Soundstorm! 😀 Finally i have a GUS! i waited a long time for this one..

IMG_20160809_122816.jpg

Nice. I got an identical one a few weeks ago (minus the extra memory, but I have chips for fixing that). Didn't get around to using it yet.

(edit) No, mine isn't identical to yours. It looks like this (minus the extra memory chip, which I am in fact in the process of inserting right now)

gus-clone-primax-m16bf-big.jpg~original

Looks like yours is revision 16C, whereas mine is 16B. Apart from the different PCB, I think they are the same.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-08-09, 15:01. Edited 3 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13222 of 53280, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:
rein_ein wrote:
had short trip to Moscow,at one of flea market was found: […]
Show full quote

had short trip to Moscow,at one of flea market was found:

Abit VP-6 it has problem with hsf mounting (plastic clips broken at both sockets) and so far i cant get it post anything except FF

4a9uZNnl.jpg

Altogether cost 54$

Need to find the type of HSF that had a twist spring clip that engages using the offset clips... common some time ago, but haven't seen one in years

Or my go to of zip ties

Reply 13223 of 53280, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this mixed lot of MCA cards and memory the other day. Seller wasn't sure if everything is working, but individually wrapped everything in anti-static bags anyway. 😀

IBM Token ring adapter
IBM 3270 adapter (BNC)
2x RAM expansion cards (8MB {4x2MB] each)
2x memory expansion cards (1MB each; used in the PS/2 model 80 server, I think)
IBM / OKI 2400/1200/300 baud modem
Sigma Data 40-pin adapter (IDE adapter?? using MCA power??)

Reply 13224 of 53280, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:
Matth79 wrote:

Need to find the type of HSF that had a twist spring clip that engages using the offset clips... common some time ago, but haven't seen one in years

Or my go to of zip ties

An bright idea i had made clips by myself using dremel,but i also keep in mind zip ties as last resort 🤣

Thanks all for advices

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 13225 of 53280, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday, an ESS AudioDrive ES1868F ISA sound card, and then today in a thrift store I found these speakers, both for my new 486 setup. I fondly remember this model of generic speakers, they came with different logos on them, shipped with loads of multimedia 486 and Pentium systems in the mid nineties. A perfect fit for this system 😎

Reply 13226 of 53280, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
einr wrote:

today in a thrift store I found these speakers

Awesome speakers. Got same in 1993 on 486-66 vlb setup, that I own.
Searched for similar some time ago, but can't found - everyone say "I or my friend own same", but nobody keep one.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 13227 of 53280, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
easy_john wrote:
einr wrote:

Searched for similar some time ago, but can't found - everyone say "I or my friend own same", but nobody keep one.

Does anyone have a model number to search against?

Reply 13228 of 53280, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GuyTechie wrote:
easy_john wrote:
einr wrote:

Does anyone have a model number to search against?

Mine have the model number "G-401A". Google has some hits for that.

And yeah, I also had a very similar pair at one point. No idea where they went. They were an upgrade for the dinky 4W speakers that came with my first computer, an IBM DX4-100 😀

Reply 13229 of 53280, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This year I got luck about P PRO so another new pieces.

Intel board

IMG_0167_resize_zpsaap8ythu.jpg

Asus board

IMG_0165_resize_zpstnbfpxug.jpg

180, 200, 2x 150 Mhz

IMG_0170_resize_zpsiopcri6z.jpg

And another dual complete atypical system

IMG_0145_resize_zpsdleqjfns.jpg

IMG_0147_resize_zpsmulx52lc.jpg

IMG_0153_resize_zpsajlu5rsj.jpg

IMG_0151_resize_zpsa6i40lwu.jpg

IMG_0160_resize_zpsmo8u2j39.jpg

IMG_0162_resize_zpsyfsof3zv.jpg

IMG_0142_resize_zps0ep0khcc.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 13230 of 53280, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice where you find all that pentium pro gear! Nice AT server you got there 😉

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13231 of 53280, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

I fondly remember this model of generic speakers, they came with different logos on them, shipped with loads of multimedia 486 and Pentium systems in the mid nineties. A perfect fit for this system 😎

I'm not sure which ones those are the equivalent to, but mine said EP-80, and were 80W P.M.P.O. 🙄

Let me tell you, though that they can have great sound. If you're willing to do a little D.I.Y. they will sound worlds better than they do, now.

What I did to mine to make them sound worlds better:

Replace the wires running from the internal PCB to the speakers with something like 16-18 gauge copper. Mine had something along the lines of 22-24 gauge nickel.
Also, note how the speakers are wired! If I recall, correctly the manufacturer had run the +wire from the PCB to the +tab on the woofer, and ran the -tab from the woofer into the +tab of the tweeter, then the -tab of the tweeter back to the PCB.
Re-wire it so that the +wire runs to the +tab's of both the woofer and tweeter, and the -wire to both the woofer and tweeter. HUGE difference! Obviously, on the other speaker you just rewire it to the jack as it has no internal PCB.
There should be an electrolytic capacitor tied to the tweeter, and it might not be labeled as far as voltage and value. I never got around to doing this to mine, but replacing it with a 1.0uF (pretty common size, here) FILM capacitor (polypropylene, polystyrene, mylar, etc.) will improve the highs.
I ended up rewiring the input-jack, on the side that has the internal amplifier with the same wire as I used at the speakers, and then made my own RCA cable to run between the two speakers again, with the same wire.
Lastly, I cut the plastic piece away from in front of the tweeter. I don't remember what you call these, and I have heard people say you should not remove them, but it's always from people who have never done it. On my speakers, I cut the plastic piece away, and the highs were improved. In addition, I removed the metal grilles from in front of the woofers. This is tricky as you have to stick something in the holes of the grill and either pry against the speaker (which can mark up the plastic) or you have to pull soley on the grille, which is glued in.

Reply 13232 of 53280, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chose007 wrote:

And another dual complete atypical system

**pics**

Heyyyyyy. I know a P6DNF when I see one!

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 13233 of 53280, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i like the dirt on the ram and how the graphics card is bent like it was reading the kama sutra

Reply 13234 of 53280, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@chose007

OMG that dual p-pro case...
give_it_to_me.gif

Seriously, if you're thinking about selling it, let me know. I'll get the money somehow.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13235 of 53280, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@chose007

I envy you with that Asus mobo.. Searching a long time for an affordable one but still nowhere to be found 😢 🤣
My Iwill board has some issues I can't immediatly resolve so the search continues!

Reply 13236 of 53280, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Geforce 7800GS for some late AGP-era gaming. Hope this one isn't dead like the last one I bought (got my money back on that one though).

It will be fun to compare it against a Radeon X850, because the benchmarks at the time were controversial.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 13237 of 53280, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@chose007:

I like that case. Looks like it could take a passive slot backplane + system on a card. Do you have a picture of the internals of the other side where the drives mount?

Reply 13238 of 53280, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

Got a Geforce 7800GS for some late AGP-era gaming. Hope this one isn't dead like the last one I bought (got my money back on that one though).

It will be fun to compare it against a Radeon X850, because the benchmarks at the time were controversial.

Keen to hear your take on that comparison 😀

I found the X850 to be faster in Far Cry, F.E.A.R. and HL 2, but slower in OpenGL stuff like Doom 3 or Serious Sam SE compared to the Nvidia card.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 13239 of 53280, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Nice where you find all that pentium pro gear! Nice AT server you got there 😉

Where? Watch internet and buy ... joke, its luck next 5 years will buy nothing, its to much hot item.

CelGen wrote:

Heyyyyyy. I know a P6DNF when I see one!

Yes this board is nice, but to much big format. Hope that VRM is standart, must buy one for second cpu.

luckybob wrote:

Seriously, if you're thinking about selling it, let me know. I'll get the money somehow.

Only postage cost lot because 21kg 😀

Nvm1 wrote:

I envy you with that Asus mobo.. Searching a long time for an affordable one but still nowhere to be found 😢 🤣
My Iwill board has some issues I can't immediatly resolve so the search continues!

This board is really good. Has enlarged setup in bios than other boards. I own Asus P/I-P65UP5 too but without cpu card.

DSC00813.jpg

yawetaG wrote:

I like that case. Looks like it could take a passive slot backplane + system on a card. Do you have a picture of the internals of the other side where the drives mount?

Theres another photos.

IMG_0149_resize_zpsxugfxo3m.jpg

IMG_0150_resize_zpshumiwyjr.jpg

IMG_0157_resize_zpszjasnuag.jpg

IMG_0159_resize_zps3lywstjx.jpg

IMG_0139_resize_zpsirads7jw.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg