VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14240 of 53036, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

I have a few systems with AGP Pro slots, one of which is a dual Athlon MP system that would work with the Wildcat II 5000 card (If I ever find another EATX case).

The Wildcat II 5000 can run on plain old AGP. If you've got a motherboard with AGP Pro, you can step-up to the Wildcat II 5110, which was the 5000's dual-piped big brother. It populates those empty solder pads with a second set of chips that increases performance in both single and dual-screen configurations. Some more info here.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 14241 of 53036, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:

The Wildcat II 5000 can run on plain old AGP. If you've got a motherboard with AGP Pro, you can step-up to the Wildcat II 5110, which was the 5000's dual-piped big brother. It populates those empty solder pads with a second set of chips that increases performance in both single and dual-screen configurations. Some more info here.

awn.com wrote:

The 5110 is hungry for power -- its AGP Pro50 interface allows it to draw up to 50 watts.

I wonder what they would have thought back then if they were told what power some cards would use 15 years later, especially when overclocked 😀

I have a 6110, 3 x 7110 and shortly will have the 5000. I have the 5110 and the Intergraph cards on my wish list.

EDIT: Hadn't looked in a while, I just made an offer on a 5110.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14242 of 53036, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:

Cheapest I've found, $7 for 8 chips, 256kx4 60ns. Should be fast enough, most cards I've seen had 70ns chips. I don't even think chips from this category were ever made faster than 60ns.

I've seen chips rated at 45ns. Some Hercules cards used them.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14243 of 53036, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
stamasd wrote:

Cheapest I've found, $7 for 8 chips, 256kx4 60ns. Should be fast enough, most cards I've seen had 70ns chips. I don't even think chips from this category were ever made faster than 60ns.

But were those 256Kx4 or 1Mx1? The latter were indeed made in faster speeds.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14244 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Purchased this SBC AP-520 board off ebay the other day, got delivered today:

awnZq0Kl.jpg

2MSszonl.jpg

It looks like it is new - the antistatic bag is unopened and all of the documentation and adapters are inside the box. Very good find (thanks to THRASHBARG for pointing it out to me 😀)

Reply 14246 of 53036, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After all those Wildcat II 5000 we all bought over the weekend, I got this for £15 to go with it. Much more powerful, and worthy of a Win 2K build 😀

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    48.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14247 of 53036, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stamasd wrote:
kixs wrote:
stamasd wrote:

But were those 256Kx4 or 1Mx1? The latter were indeed made in faster speeds.

Some chips were sold on ebay (256Kx4):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/252374781043

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14248 of 53036, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

After all those Wildcat II 5000 we all bought over the weekend, I got this for £15 to go with it. Much more powerful, and worthy of a Win 2K build 😀

I think that card starts in Northampton and ends somewhere near my front door in Seattle.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 14249 of 53036, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... The SCSI harddrive that I ordered, arrived today. And there were a bit of surprise things inside the box.
Not alone did he ship the drive I bought for the equivelant of 15 US Dollars including shipping.
First up, the package was extremely well packed. Something I usually don't see, being done this well.

The package contained the drive it self. It is in excellent condition. For it's age of course.
No bumps, alarming scratches, bent interface-pins or anything like that, on first inspection.
Then I found a floppy with drivers on it, and I thought that was a bit strange.
Then came a good looking controller, and as much as I have a pile of controllers, one extra won't hurt.
In the bottom of the package, I found two SCSI 50 pin cables. Looking sort of brand new. Yay.....

Attachments

• SCSI-01.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI-01.jpg
    File size
    118.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drive name, number/model/info
    File license
  • SCSI-02.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI-02.jpg
    File size
    133.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Not a single bent legs
    File license
  • SCSI-03.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI-03.jpg
    File size
    160 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Drive PCB
    File license
  • SCSI-04.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI-04.jpg
    File size
    149.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PCI 50 pin SCSI controller.
    File license
  • SCSI-05.jpg
    Filename
    SCSI-05.jpg
    File size
    125.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SCSI 50 Pin Cables
    File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14250 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Funny how the card shown on the box is entirely different from the one in the box...

Yeah I thought so too but I'm not surprised. This box had a list of various motherboards on it and the one I have (AP-520) was ticked. Maybe one of those on the list is the one displayed on the box...

Reply 14251 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:

That's a beautiful looking card. What is that interface? I presume it is a proprietary backplane card? Do you have it?

Reply 14252 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Well.... The SCSI harddrive that I ordered, arrived today. And there were a bit of surprise things inside the box. Not alone did […]
Show full quote

Well.... The SCSI harddrive that I ordered, arrived today. And there were a bit of surprise things inside the box.
Not alone did he ship the drive I bought for the equivelant of 15 US Dollars including shipping.
First up, the package was extremely well packed. Something I usually don't see, being done this well.

The package contained the drive it self. It is in excellent condition. For it's age of course.
No bumps, alarming scratches, bent interface-pins or anything like that, on first inspection.
Then I found a floppy with drivers on it, and I thought that was a bit strange.
Then came a good looking controller, and as much as I have a pile of controllers, one extra won't hurt.
In the bottom of the package, I found two SCSI 50 pin cables. Looking sort of brand new. Yay.....

Looks like a healthy drive! Nice that they threw in a few extras too!

Reply 14253 of 53036, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
orinoko wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

That's a beautiful looking card. What is that interface? I presume it is a proprietary backplane card? Do you have it?

It's AGP Pro. Essentially AGP with a few extra power connections. For cards that exceed the AGP maximum power draw.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14254 of 53036, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orinoko wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

It's the Wildcat II 5110, and as stamasd says it uses the AGP-Pro interface. The card is rated to use 50 W.

Reply 14255 of 53036, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
orinoko wrote:

The drive is up and running on an Adaptech 1542c ISA controller right now.
It has zero bad sectors and responded/span up right away.
Really impressed by this, looking at the drives age.

Reply 14256 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stamasd wrote:
orinoko wrote:
debs3759 wrote:

It's AGP Pro. Essentially AGP with a few extra power connections. For cards that exceed the AGP maximum power draw.

In my tired state at 2am I was thinking it was a SBC haha. That's an impressive card, I'm going to have to read up on it more... AGP Pro as well, learn something new every day.

Reply 14257 of 53036, by orinoko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
The drive is up and running on an Adaptech 1542c ISA controller right now. It has zero bad sectors and responded/span up right a […]
Show full quote
orinoko wrote:

The drive is up and running on an Adaptech 1542c ISA controller right now.
It has zero bad sectors and responded/span up right away.
Really impressed by this, looking at the drives age.

Then that is a great find. I would have thought a drive of that age would have had a few bad sectors after being posted. I guess the packaging really was good!

Reply 14258 of 53036, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And it has lesser noise than a Quantum Trailblazer or Fireball. 😜