VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 14400 of 53065, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just scored a NOS AT case for less than USD 10 from a local computer shop that is clearing out old stock! Based on what the seller told me it seems to be a late 90s AT case so no turbo switch or MHz display but still a nice find.

Pics incoming tomorrow (hopefully) 😀

Reply 14401 of 53065, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Well, it's not a Sound Master II: http://imgur.com/a/w3hKR

Right. It's a much earlier card than that. What's interesting is that Great Hierophant's blog says that Covox made two 8-bit ISA cards, but the one I bought doesn't look like either one in his photos. So either Covox made at least three 8-bit ISA cards, or one of the cards in his photos is not a Covox card.

Reply 14402 of 53065, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's so cool! Maybe you could ask Mr. Hierophant himself? Covox is such an interesting brand 😀

boxpressed wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Well, it's not a Sound Master II: http://imgur.com/a/w3hKR

Right. It's a much earlier card than that. What's interesting is that Great Hierophant's blog says that Covox made two 8-bit ISA cards, but the one I bought doesn't look like either one in his photos. So either Covox made at least three 8-bit ISA cards, or one of the cards in his photos is not a Covox card.

1982 to 2001

Reply 14403 of 53065, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

I haven't yet received this item yet, but I'm all ears if anyone knows what it is.

As far as I can tell, it is some kind of 8-bit audio card made by Covox. It doesn't look like the Voice Master card or the Voice Master Key card shown on Great Hierophant's blog: http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2014/09/t … nd-devices.html

It looks like a variant/revision of the Voice Master Key card to me.

Reply 14404 of 53065, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this parallel port Compact Flash adapter which works fine on my XT 😀

mdcfe.jpg
Filename
mdcfe.jpg
File size
65.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14405 of 53065, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In addition to the Millennium II on the previous page, I bought this:

s3virge.jpg
Filename
s3virge.jpg
File size
141.86 KiB
Views
File license

Not for the card itself (though I'll definitely bench it in DOS), but for the 4 removable memory chips. 😀 For $12 shipped, that's about $3 per chip, not bad!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 14406 of 53065, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was a nice surprise to find.. a New, In Box Teac FD-505

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
216.24 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 14407 of 53065, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a Unicorn!

Sound Blaster 16 CT2940 with OPL3. I don't care If I ever use it but at least now I have one and it only cost me $12.00 including shipping.

Crappy picture but it looks like I will have a few IDE pins to straighten out.

s-l1600 (7).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (7).jpg
File size
235.06 KiB
Views
File license

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 14408 of 53065, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI ..

I just bought this Processor, Pentium 233-MMX from Ebay last week, to replace with my current Pentium 90 Mhz.

Here's some pictures:-

Before:- Pentium 90
Pentium%2090Mhz.jpeg

Funny.. the Sticker is hidden behind..
Pentium%2090Mhz%20Back.jpeg

After:- Pentium 233-MMX
Pentium%20233%20Mhz%20MMX.jpeg

Pentium%20233%20Mhz%20MMX%20BACK.jpeg

It's working... 😀
Pentium%20233%20Mhz%20MMX%20Screen.jpeg

Just a quick question... I didn't apply any Thermal Paste..... even the Pentium 90 Do not have Thermal Paste in place.... Do I need to?

Reply 14409 of 53065, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Panties wrote:
HI .. […]
Show full quote

HI ..

I just bought this Processor, Pentium 233-MMX from Ebay last week, to replace with my current Pentium 90 Mhz.

I hate to say it, but that is a Pentium 200 MMX. The FV80503200, where the last three digits are the speed. You seem to be overclocking it to 233mhz okay, but if it was sold as a 233, they sent you the wrong one.

Reply 14410 of 53065, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:

Just a quick question... I didn't apply any Thermal Paste..... even the Pentium 90 Do not have Thermal Paste in place.... Do I need to?

Don't need to, but it wouldn't take long to apply (right?), so might as well.

But as the previous poster said, that is a 200MHz part, not 233MHz......

Reply 14411 of 53065, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rkrenicki wrote:
Panties wrote:
HI .. […]
Show full quote

HI ..

I hate to say it, but that is a Pentium 200 MMX. The FV80503200, where the last three digits are the speed. You seem to be overclocking it to 233mhz okay, but if it was sold as a 233, they sent you the wrong one.

Yeah.. I believe they sent the wrong one too.. but it's okay. For a low price .. I don't mind..
But why it shows 233Mhz on the BIOS? @@ BIOS mis-read it?

Reply 14412 of 53065, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
Panties wrote:

Yeah.. I agree.. well, I dont mine it is 200Mhz.. but, why does the BIOS shows 233mhz? I "only" replace the processor.. xD
BIOS update?

Reply 14413 of 53065, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 9800GTX+ arrived today with the IO shields screw area on the top bent more out of shape than Donald Trump at a presidential debate.

The idiots packed it like this (I'm used to bad shipping habits but Christ has this guy never owned a PC before??)

1.) USPS paper mail bag thing
2.) Thin, static generating, foam sheet, wrapped around card
3.) Horrible incredibly thin sheet of bubble wrap around card

The mail bag had holes in it and stuff by the time it got to me. Between the card being beat to hell and the static bomb he put in there i have no idea how it arrived not only functional but aside from the not so easily unbent IO shield perfectly factory pristine.

I dare anyone here to top this bad shipping story. I mean Jesus it was a hole filled bag of static being shipped via USPS.....

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 14414 of 53065, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
squareguy wrote:
I found a Unicorn! […]
Show full quote

I found a Unicorn!

Sound Blaster 16 CT2940 with OPL3. I don't care If I ever use it but at least now I have one and it only cost me $12.00 including shipping.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

I saw that a couple days ago, I was going to post it here just to point it out but I assumed that someone from here would do things the old fashioned way and be happy they discovered it.

Glad you found one! I would have bought it if I didn't already have one. 🤣

I believe that's the only one I've seen on eBay in all the time I've been looking at old cards (about a year).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14415 of 53065, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
My 9800GTX+ arrived today with the IO shields screw area on the top bent more out of shape than Donald Trump at a presidential d […]
Show full quote

My 9800GTX+ arrived today with the IO shields screw area on the top bent more out of shape than Donald Trump at a presidential debate.

The idiots packed it like this (I'm used to bad shipping habits but Christ has this guy never owned a PC before??)

1.) USPS paper mail bag thing
2.) Thin, static generating, foam sheet, wrapped around card
3.) Horrible incredibly thin sheet of bubble wrap around card

The mail bag had holes in it and stuff by the time it got to me. Between the card being beat to hell and the static bomb he put in there i have no idea how it arrived not only functional but aside from the not so easily unbent IO shield perfectly factory pristine.

I dare anyone here to top this bad shipping story. I mean Jesus it was a hole filled bag of static being shipped via USPS.....

I got a Kraft Premium III joystick in the mail the other day wrapped partly in bubble wrap, then wrapped in A SHEET OF PAPER... and then loosely wrapped with packing tape. That's right, it was just a joystick shaped lump of tape and paper. The little red button on the top was poking out when I picked it up. What on earth is wrong with people? The thing is nearly 30 years old and ended up needing some internal repairs (possibly from shipping damage), but why would you ship something like this?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14416 of 53065, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
137.58 KiB
Views
File license

That is a PS2 fat. Two layers of thin bubble wrap, one layer of Kraft paper. A lot of packing tape.

Shipped Media Mail.

Reply 14417 of 53065, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:
I found a Unicorn! […]
Show full quote

I found a Unicorn!

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Nice! I have one of those. Clean output, nice sounding output, just a good card all around.

Leave it to Creative to release two significantly different cards under the same model number...

Reply 14418 of 53065, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:
Panties wrote:

Yeah.. I agree.. well, I dont mine it is 200Mhz.. but, why does the BIOS shows 233mhz? I "only" replace the processor.. xD
BIOS update?

It shows 233mhz because that is what your motherboard is configured to clock it at based on the multiplier and front side bus speed. Socket 7 is a platform that doesn't automatically recognize the CPU speed it just boots it as configured. Jumperless FSB and multplier settings really was not a thing until late slot 1 and late socket 370 motherboards.

Reply 14419 of 53065, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P200 MMX cpu's will happily run at 250mhz all day at stock voltage on a super 7 board, so 233mhz won't cause any problems.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.