VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18121 of 53126, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MCGA wrote:

I hope I can find a working 386 some day. The very first PC I bought was a 386 DX 40. It brings back memories of adding a math co-processor -- the joy. I imagine that somewhere in this tiny town I've ended up in, there's a 386 waiting for me with a case just as wonderful as this one... But sadly I have not found jack... Woe is me... 😐

Just keep looking. I had all but given up on anything 386 or older. It's usually when I'm not looking really hard that I find them 😀

Reply 18122 of 53126, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And it runs like a charm too. I hope to find an 8087 for it. It has LPT, serial, CGA, HDD controller (obviously), RAM upgrade card (or is it?) and a real time clock addon card.
I'd say visually it's a good 9/10. The only damage I've noticed is that one of the keyboard legs is broken but even the CRT tube is still very bright.

Here with the top RFI cage removed:
52psdCt.jpg
g0kaKju.jpg

Reply 18123 of 53126, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I did find a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee made by Ensoniq.

I also forgot to mention a PSU that I bought 2 weeks ago which is made by Antec, is rated as "80 plus" and is almost brand new. However even though it was apparently made in 2011, what makes it "retro" is that the 5V rail is said to be "35A" while the 2 12V rails are only 18V so this makes it an excellent PSU for a socket A computer for example as it should mix safety, stability and power efficiency 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18124 of 53126, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Yesterday I did find a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee made by Ensoniq.

I also forgot to mention a PSU that I bought 2 weeks ago which is made by Antec, is rated as "80 plus" and is almost brand new. However even though it was apparently made in 2011, what makes it "retro" is that the 5V rail is said to be "35A" while the 2 12V rails are only 18V so this makes it an excellent PSU for a socket A computer for example as it should mix safety, stability and power efficiency 😀

Ensoniq made video cards? Who knew!

Also, I didn't think old PSUs are that unsafe. I obviously don't leave mine plugged in constantly but at the same time I don't suspect they would murder me if I did.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18125 of 53126, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it's safer for the hardware ^^

According to another ensoniq owner, drivers are hard to come by and they are a bit buggy. However I did myself some research and maybe Creative's drivers could work for it

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18126 of 53126, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:

Bought these two for 10€ at a local shop. ATI Rage Theater 128 along with a SoundBlaster 5.1 Live!
Fair price or not? (haven't tested it yet, i hope they work 😀 )

IMG_20170730_174359.jpg

That's not a bargain but I wouldn't call it overpriced either. The Rage Theatre I remember being quite popular though. That's a middle of the road SB Live though. You really want the one with gold plated connectors IMO.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18127 of 53126, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Some photos of recent buys (sellers photos)

The atx board is a industrial sk370 440bx board. Oddly the manual says it supports 1gb of ram
The at board is a 440zx board, probably resell it. I don't think I'll have a use for it but at 10$ I had to nab it up.
The hdd is a 60gb fireball, not many of them out there.

Reply 18128 of 53126, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a soft spot for Quantum Fireballs. They look cool too. Not the Maxtor Fireball crap.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18129 of 53126, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

I've got a soft spot for Quantum Fireballs. They look cool too. Not the Maxtor Fireball crap.

Yeah, me too. Been useing them since the late 90s.
Only thing I don't like about them is the bearings get nosey over time.
The why I stick to fireball + AS models. Much better bearings in them.

Also picked up some pc-166 ram 512mbs worth ! Over payed through the roof or so I'd say, but when's the last time you seen some for sale and with that amount?

Reply 18130 of 53126, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Needed ram for the 386 I bought, found an ad just posted locally (10min drive).

Pretty excited about this haul:

eS4CTb9l.jpg

3x 30-pin(x8) to 72-pin adapters
1x 30-pin(x4) to 72-pin adapter
1x 1mb SIMM (70ns)
8x 1mb SIMMs (60ns)
4x 256k SIMMs (100ns??)
4x 256k cache chips form a 486 + tag(??) chip
15x random 72-pin sticks (ranging 4-32mb)
18x DIP style RAM chips (100ns, unknown size)

...also, some 72-pin sticks labelled "bad"

Reply 18131 of 53126, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

...also, some 72-pin sticks labelled "bad"

Be sure to test those without the adapters. Sometimes it was the adapters or adapter + motherboard combination that caused RAM not to work, not the sticks themselves.

Reply 18132 of 53126, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

The atx board is a industrial sk370 440bx board. Oddly the manual says it supports 1gb of ram

I'm pretty sure Intel 440BX officially supports 1 GB RAM (4x 256 MB), some manufacturers decides to only support 128 MB sticks on them limiting to 384 or 512 MB depending of the number of slots

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 18133 of 53126, by FancyCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Toshiba T3100e, found in a small pawnshop. After some negotiations bought it for about 70EUR / 80USD. 20Mb HDD, CGA, mnonochrome plasma display. All functional except CMOS battery, perfect state overall, has a faint chemical smell (probably served in a factory or something). Below a screenshot of Metal Mutant:

DinoMM.jpg
Filename
DinoMM.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

More photos here: http://imgur.com/a/TrE38

Reply 18134 of 53126, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got two Cyrix... Both has the same clocl speed 333 but one (regular / black one) has 3x83MHZ @2.9V and second (mobile / white) has 4x66 @2.2V...
The white one AFAIK is quite rare... maybe not very rare, but a litte 😉

Attachments

• Batyra_CyrixMII_333.jpg
    Filename
    Batyra_CyrixMII_333.jpg
    File size
    338.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Cyrix MII 333 - regular and mobile
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18135 of 53126, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Just got two Cyrix... Both has the same clocl speed 333 but one (regular / black one) has 3x83MHZ @2.9V and second (mobile / white) has 4x66 @2.2V...

Those are so beautiful, especially side by side. I wouldn't be able actually use them, for fear of scratching the top with the heatsink...

Reply 18136 of 53126, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Add some with the Gold heatsink and another with the Ceramic heatsink next to them and it will be magnificent 😁

Reply 18137 of 53126, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I'm pretty sure Intel 440BX officially supports 1 GB RAM (4x 256 MB), some manufacturers decides to only support 128 MB sticks on them limiting to 384 or 512 MB depending of the number of slots

I took a closer look, it the buffered ram it supported upto 1gb.

I also bought this on ebay to use with my recently bought pc-166 ram.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ytoAAOSwWnFV-FPf/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XsMAAOxy4c5RwhpN/s-l1600.jpg

Reply 18139 of 53126, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got a Radeon 9800 Pro last week. It was only like €2.50 so I figured I'd take a chance on it. Will test it when I get around to it.

probnot wrote:
Batyra wrote:

Those are so beautiful, especially side by side. I wouldn't be able actually use them, for fear of scratching the top with the heatsink...

Iirc the gold-top 400+ was rarer (433+ was very hard to find). The silvery 333+ ones were much easier to find compared to the high-end gold-tops. Every collector seemed to have a silvery one in their trade lists. I originally got a couple of them so I could spare my 400+'s from overclocking to 300MHz (but never got around to it as my ss7 board had one of those tabs snap and I ws unable to glue it back, this ended this little project prematurely and I ended up moving on to other stuff).

I think both chips are very nice to have! I only got a single black one and it's missing several pins (they just fell off when I examined the CPU right when I had just gotten it).

Batyra, may I ask how much did that chip set you back?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!