VOGONS

SB Pro 2 Amplifier Disable

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is an YMF724 chipset, why would it be noisy?, it uses a Sigmatel DAC.

For some reason this card would pick up a lot of bus noise. Whenever the hard drive was loading for example, I could hear it through the speakers (similar to a GSM cellphone close to a speaker). Also, it made a lot of popping noises, and I could hear a hum when connected to my AV receiver. That was with the internal amp disabled. At the time I was comparing this to my AWE64G, which had very clean output.

The OPL3-SAx cards look interesting. If one happens to pass my way I'll give it a shot (probably won't bother wasting $20 on ebay).

Oh, and I did examine my SB16 CT1770. When jumpered to the "amp disable" position, the speaker out port leads directly to the CT1745A chip...actually there is a small surface mount capacitor of unknown value between them. I think that small capacitor may be the key to bypassing the amp on an SB Pro.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

For some reason this card would pick up a lot of bus noise. Whenever the hard drive was loading for example, I could hear it through the speakers (similar to a GSM cellphone close to a speaker). Also, it made a lot of popping noises, and I could hear a hum when connected to my AV receiver. That was with the internal amp disabled. At the time I was comparing this to my AWE64G, which had very clean output.

That is not nice indeed. I have two cards based on the YMF724, from A-Trend and A-Open IIRC, the former gives pops when I turn on the computer, but other than that I have no issues with them.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

The OPL3-SAx cards look interesting. If one happens to pass my way I'll give it a shot (probably won't bother wasting $20 on ebay).

OK, it should not be challenging to get one on ebay though, there are plenty for sale.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

h-a-l-9000, do you have any photos of the shield you added to the card? Where did you get your materials, and how did you cut them?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oh this was not a permanent modification as I don't regularly use it. The isolation (the closer the shield is to the pcb the better) was what you usually find in a PC power supply, the shield from a monitor in which it had served a similar purpose. It's probably tin.

With the earphones on I moved the shield across the back of the card to find the spot where noise would be minimized. The shield was connected to ground by alligator clips.

1+1=10