FREE* Intel VS440FX mobo + CPU + RAM

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The mobo haz arriventh!!
It arrived a couple days ago and is in perfect condition. I only haven't had time to test it yet, I want to take a good look at the manual beforehand.

Thank you so much Swaaye! 😀
And my complement for the superb packaging 😉

Reply 22 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got the VS440FX to boot quite a while ago, just forgot to mention it here.
Today I was doing some marathon testing, testing stuff I bought on Queensday and some chips I got off of Ebay.

I wanted to test my newly arrived K6+ chips on an ASUS TX97-XE but the PCB didn't have the required jumpers for it. I knew the board had more settings so I browsed in my own database of undocumented jumpers when I ran across undocumented jumper settings for the VS440FX.

It enabled me to overclock the PPro200 to 233Mhz 😀

DSC00337.jpg
The heatsink got quite hot though even though I had a 70mm fan blowing fresh air onto the heatsink
The required jumpers are 11-13, 12-14 and 19-21.

As soon as I have the time, I'm thinking of putting an nlite'd w2k install on it. Not sure if even a slimed down version of w2k will run on just 128MB though but it seems a bit of a waste to use 98 on this.

Thanks again for letting me get my hyands on this board 😁

Reply 23 of 35, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if even a slimed down version of w2k will run on just 128MB though but it seems a bit of a waste to use 98 on this.

Yeah, it'll run just fine.

If it helps you at all, I attached the nlite config settings I use for Win2k... I've tried all sorts of different stuff with nlite, and I've determined that it's not wise trying to strip out much more than that, except maybe keyboard layouts and languages you know you won't need. (It won't hurt anything to leave those, though, since they don't take up any resources other than a few MB of disk space.)

IIRC, with that config, there's about 40MB RAM usage at a fresh boot. Also take note in that config file, it shows the filenames of a couple update packs... I strongly recommend you go get those and include them.

Attachments

• Filename
    w2knlite.txt
    File size
    5.94 KiB
    Downloads
    180 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 35, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tetrium

Nice board you got there 😀

The 1mb P Pro is a mighty CPU....mightier than the PII that didn't have L2 cache running at full speed 😉 but it runs very hot as you mention

On my dual P Pro Asus rig the dual 1mb P Pro the heat from the heatsink/fans really heat up the side of the case, hehe

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 25 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, it's the board swaaye send me 😀

I never owned a PPro board before so figuring out how to best make use of it is new to me.
A new challenge, so to say 😉

And thanks Old Thrashbarg, I'm definately gonna have a look at your nlite settings when I go nlite a w2k install disk.

Reply 28 of 35, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't really matter that the motherboard won't go further... you'd be hard-pressed to get more than ~250mhz out of a PPro under any sort of cooling, especially on one with a large cache.

Reply 30 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure that CPU was entirely stable at 233.....

Yeah the 1MB chips put out a good bit more heat than the other PPros. It's not that much heat compared to what came from say Athlon Tbird or Palomino though! I believe it's somewhere around 40W. If you have a 80mm fan strapped on there running 2500RPM or so like I did you're good to go.

Reply 31 of 35, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the heat is hardly an issue if you could figure out how to strap a modern cooler to the thing. The real hindrance to high clocks is simply the fact that the design of that chip does not scale well, and the more complicated ones (i.e., the ones with more cache) scale even worse.

If you want high clocks on a Socket 8, you pretty much have to go with a PII overdrive... and even then, don't expect miracles.

Reply 32 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, no hard if it won't run at 233Mhz stable. I could always put in my spare PPro 200 256KB chip and overclock that.

Also I can have a look how to cool this (future) system well enough, I got plenty ATX cases to choose from 😉

Reply 33 of 35, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet if you WC'd that chip it would be stable, I think you'd need to put some ram heat sinks on some of the other smaller chips, and maybe some of the chip set chips might needs some sinks. There's probably some cpu waterblock for socket8... google around a bit. A small rad and pump would be plenty, and you could ditch any case fans, which would make the thing run whisper quiet, not to mention it would be pretty bling imo! Would love to see it if you do. =]

Reply 34 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can already make it effectively silent with a 80mm at 5v. If you took that fan away you would still need a fan of some sort cooling the voltage regulator or it would burn up for sure.

Reply 35 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes thanks. I'm gonna do some real good thinking about airflow before I try to overclock it in a working system. I got plenty of cases to choose from, along with coolers, PSU's and whats not. I even have single sided tape and tie ribs yay!