VOGONS

Old 486 CMOS Battery Low

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On Malik's board it looks like pin 1 is the one by itself, while pin 4 is the one with an unused pin next to it. Does this match your board's orientation, h-a-l-9000? If so, then it's likely that they're standardized and that the unused pin 3 is a key pin that keeps you from connecting the battery cable backwards.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2010-12-06, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, 1 is the one by itself "single" pin.

1+1=10

Reply 22 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that seems to be the standardization. My board is the same. At any rate, I've hooked it all up and it works! I can now boot my 486 and the CMOS settings are memorized! Success! Thanks for all your help, everybody.

Except now for some reason my second hard drive isn't working properly. It's detected but it says Sector not found. Hopefully it's not toast. Tried in Windows, it seems Windows detects it but in DOS it has problems. I'll run Scandisk.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 23 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One of the secondary drives in my PIII-550 was working fine until I accidentally put it first in the boot order. It loaded OnTrack (one of those horrible boot sector loaders that is supposed to help make new disks work on old systems) and started booting some old Win98 install, so I did a hard reset. Now the BIOS only recognizes the drive 50% of the time, and my OSes recognize it 0% of the time. I had already backed up everything, though, so it's no big deal.

Reply 24 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems I forgot to re-enable LBA mode for my HDDs in the CMOS. It worked in Windows because Windows does it itself, I guess. Works fine now. Back up and running!

My Github

Reply 25 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
http://www.vogons.org/files/soldered.jpg […]
Show full quote

soldered.jpg

Awesome!!!

Could you please tell me how you fixed the wires to the black battery holder thingy?
Luckily I haven't thrown out my pile of scrap mobo's yet, I should have plenty of those black battery holder thingies available and plenty of motherboards to put them in.

Just one question: The mobo's whith the awful RTC dallas things don't have provision for an external battery, right? Would be a LOT easier then to try hacking into the Dallas chip with a drill

Reply 26 of 31, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You just take the pins out of the wire connector and they plug right onto the pins of the battery holder. I realized this too late on my first attempt and snipped the ends right off the wires. I thought I had to wrap the copper around the pin. Then I tried the connector and it fit perfectly. Luckily I have extra cables lying around...

My Github

Reply 27 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That reminds me that I recently desoldered one of those battery clips from an old mobo (probably my other i440BX one) to hold a replacement battery in a NES cartridge.

Reply 28 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Malik wrote:
http://www.vogons.org/files/soldered.jpg […]
Show full quote

soldered.jpg

Awesome!!!

I agree. 😀

Re: awful RTC dallas things - I have had good luck in buying these Dallas RTCs on ebay. All the cheap ones I bought worked. They were all in used condition, but their internal batteries seemed OK. Not a long term solution I know, but nevertheless better than nothing. However, I have a few mobos with the ODIN RTCs. I haven't seen these on ebay, at least not for a while. Pity, as I would like some spares. One day, I will attempt to hack in to one of these RTCs, and see if I can attach a new battery to it.

Reply 29 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Could you please tell me how you fixed the wires to the black battery holder thingy?

You are supposed to use a soldering iron and tin-solder for that.

Last edited by h-a-l-9000 on 2010-12-06, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

1+1=10

Reply 30 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I'll only need to figure out how to do that polarity thing right. I was never any good at this (always good with maths, but often getting the + and - wrong hehe) but I figured 50% isn't too bad of a chance anyway 😜.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you know what terminals on the battery are + and/or -, then:

Pin 1 should be the red wire, which in turn should connect to + on the battery
Pin 4 should be the black wire, which should connect to -