VOGONS

Retro Hardware Collections

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 55, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't really want to say that I "collect" this old stuff. It's more that I've wanted to play with all sorts of hardware over the years and now that it's cheap I can get it easily. 😁

You guys have seen my video card collection in the recent 3D Accelerator Thread. I have lots of sound cards and CPUs too. I have (almost) every Creative and all Ensoniq cards (except that DB that's unexciting). That's the bulk of it. I have one of each motherboard/CPU platform so I can build things.

I do have a CGW magazine collection ranging from the '80s to the end of their run in 2005 or whatever it was. 😉 Those magazines are basically the embodiment of my computer hobby 🤣. Also have the first few years of Next Generation magazine.

Reply 21 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That makes me wonder, is there a list of all the Creative cards? I mean the 8 bit cards are quickly collected, but once you get into the 16s and 32s there are just sooo many cards!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 22 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That makes me wonder, is there a list of all the Creative cards? I mean the 8 bit cards are quickly collected, but once you get into the 16s and 32s there are just sooo many cards!

Well, there is this:
http://www.ask.asia.creative.com/wwenglish/ge … _list_audio.htm
I suppose it's pretty much complete, since it also lists a couple oem cards. Can't tell of course if these are all of them, the list may not be complete

Reply 23 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that would be a collection 🤣

But my SB Pro 2.0 CT1680 isn't on that list. Neither is the CT2860 (SB 16) which I have ordered recently...

So it looks like there are really a lot of cards to collect!

Reply 24 of 55, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm interested in seeing all the subtle differences amongst the creative cards -ISA cards in particular, within a same class. For example, CT2760, CT3980, CT3990 etc. are all SBAWE32s. But there are differences in each. Though this is easier to find out, I would like to know about the complete set of differences in the above mentioned list (again for the ISA cards only).

Some differences may not matter that much, but it's good to know what they actually did with a particular model.

I thought of compiling this list but didn't know where to start. I think I need to contact someone who was at Creative during the ISA days.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Following" the larger chips as the cards became more and more integrated might be interesting?

e.g. going from a AWE32 to a AEW64 the cards are almost half the size and with a lot less chips. There is quite a good post on queststudios giving an overview of some of the differences.

e.g. some SB16s don't have treble and bass controls. Then we have some with the Yamaha 262, some with the CT1747 and some with no real OPL whatsoever. There are a ton of different analogue mixer chips and so on...

So tracking what chips are on each card might be a start. I would love to contribute but only got a handful cards...

We would need a good resource for what each chip does and for the bigger ones, which functions that chip handles.

Reply 26 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

I think I need to contact someone who was at Creative during the ISA days.

It's really late now...
Didn't creative use to have a forum? Maybe you could ask there, or have a look around

Reply 27 of 55, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Link to the creative forums:
http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/b … -p/soundblaster

I haven't browsed there myself but it seems like a good place to browse for some extra information, even if it's just (interesting) background information

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great resource, though it doesn't look like it goes back far enough. The first posts are from 2004 already 🤣

My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 55, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't the primary differences between the various SB16s, SB32 and AWE32s the following:

-Vibra 16 chipset vs. SB16 chipset
-Whether or not it has OPL3 discrete, integrated or simulated
-CSP/ASP chips and/or sockets
-PnP or not
-CDROM / IDE interfaces
-RAM slots
-How much it pops/clicks and how much hiss there is 😁

Reply 30 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tracking the components as the cards got more and more integrated might be the way to go...

But we would need to know into which larger chips, some of the past / smaller chips went into. e.h. the CT1747 combines an ISA interface with an OPL3. Previously individual chips took care of these tasks...

Going from AWE32 to AWE64 really shows us how much progress they made with integration...

Reply 31 of 55, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Going from AWE32 to AWE64 really shows us how much progress they made with integration...

AWE64 also saw the removal of some functionality. CDROM interfaces and ASP/CSP. So that integration is less exciting than it seems.

Reply 32 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure but the card is still half the size!

Same goes for the SB16. The early cards are huge, whereas the final Vibra models only have a few components.

One can't deny the progress made through integration...

Reply 33 of 55, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many games actually used the ASP/CSP? I didn't think there was many at all.

As far as integration goes there's a lot of info on the different Creative chips here:
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2175.0.html

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 34 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that post is great!

Hey DonutKing not sure if you saw my post in your other thread. Do you happen to have a picture of that Vibra16 card you have? The one that has the Yamaha OPL chip?

Reply 35 of 55, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in the thread that DonutKing points, there are pics of such a Vibra16 cards:

ct2260sb16mcdoemvibra16.jpg

ct2800valuelistki6.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 37 of 55, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea but he has a CT2800...

EDIT: Hey found a thread on VOGONS 🤣

Any Information about SB16 - CT2800?

🤣 you replied before my edit, I added a pic of a 2800 😁 😁 😁

edit: I wonder if the 2800 has the hanging note bug... noone replied in the thread here...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 38 of 55, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT2504 that's the one. I got 2 cards underway with that same chip. According to the information on queststudios the CF2504 is the last revision with a real OPL3 on the card...

I believe all designs after this used the Creative CQM clone chip...

My YouTube channel

Reply 39 of 55, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey DonutKing not sure if you saw my post in your other thread. Do you happen to have a picture of that Vibra16 card you have? The one that has the Yamaha OPL chip?

Keropi's picture of a CT2800 above looks almost identical to mine, except mine has an IDE interface, and the 4 pads on the left side have chips soldered onto them- obviously something to do with the IDE.

I've been very happy with the CT2800, sounds great, excellent quality compared to older SB16's. I've been using it with an MT32 and I haven't noticed the hanging note bug, only really tried with Lucasarts adventure games though. Did try briefly with Doom and Hexen and didn't get it there but I was only playing them for a few minutes.

I've found old games like monkey Island required slowing the machine down by disabling cache, otherwise the MT32 sounded terrible, missing notes etc... not sure if this has any bearing on the hanging note bug.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.