VOGONS

insane ebay prices for old tech...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are a little on the high side, but granted, certainly not as extravagant as some other sellers I've seen....
Its more the whole attitude of 'rather than take a lower offer and get SOME money for this board, you will give me what I want or I will destroy it so nobody can have it. I'll just take my bat and ball and go home'. Pretty immature.

The whole thing with auctions is that its worth what the market will pay. Sometimes, someone desperately wants something and will pay an inflated price. This is an outlying case. Generally, people are happy for a fair price. If something sits on ebay for a long time without getting bought, then the price is most likely too high. You could wait it out for that one buyer thats willing to pay extra but you need to be patient. This bloke is putting that CPU card up for 2-3 days at a time. Not only does a shorter auction give less opportunity for potential buyers to see and bid, but its probably costing him more in fees to relist so frequently, instead of just having one longer auction and letting it run its course.

TLDR that guy is a wanker

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 22 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've totally missed the point. I don't really care what happens to the card since I can't use it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 23 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
You think that's bad check this out... […]
Show full quote

You think that's bad check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPS-2000-040-Processo … =item25677618ba

He's basically trying to extort people paying his inflated price.

'Give me your money or the board gets it!'

Even if it was a fair price I wouldn't buy from a guy with such a hostile attitude.

Amiga stuff gets high prices like that. Those guys will pay any price for upgrades, it seems. There was a time when I was looking for 68040 chips (FULL 68040's, not LC's) for some Mac Quadras and couldn't get one for anything close to a reasonable price on ebay because the Amiga guys pretty much set the prices on those and they are willing to pay a lot more than I am. I had to go to a German website that was willing to ship to the U.S. to get a 33mhz one that I had to overclock to 40mhz in my Quadra 840 A/V until I could get a real 40mhz part to replace it with. The 33mhz one then went into one of my LC's.