VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. I just checked the Total Hardware site : That Gigabyte 586ATE does support P200.

(The CPU socket should have the "Socket 7" etched on one of it's borders.)

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/G/GI … -GA-586ATE.html

GIGA-BYTE-TECHNOLOGY-CO-LTD-Pentium-GA-586ATE-1.png

2. For most of the above games, a P133 - P200 is fine. P75 is ok too for some of them.

3. There's nothing to stop a Voodoo2 running in a low end system. You get clearer throughput-quality.
Just that, "to get the most" out of the Voodoo2 card requires a PII 400 and above to fully appreciate it's potential. SLI setup will help to run in higher resolution. Otherwise, the difference between this and a Voodoo1 is not apparent, other than the video quality in slower machines.

4. Regarding slowing down, have a look at my P133 "experiment" 😁:

The Pentium P54c, the Turbo Buton and the Internal Cache. And Wing Commander I is Happy!

It also has Mau1wurf1977's FSB scaling table. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 21 of 22, by manno32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That board layout was from a page I'd looked at which is why I too thought that the mobo could support a p200 but I was told no. Perhaps he's just not the right guy for the job.....?

Anyway, more googling, and more re-discovering old games has seen that list of games increase to afew games nearly nudging the 1ghz....

So.... I think I've come to the realization that in actual fact god never intended for me to play all these games on the ONE machine!!! What I think I'll do for now is build me a "90's" pc that plays the games that aren't ancient dos games and that sounds more achievable to me. Latr I might track down an old 486 to play the older stuff.

Better idea?

Reply 22 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That all depends on how much time you want to spend cluttering your living space instead of playing games.