VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Weren't Willamettes socket 423? How would you put one in a 478 board?

Intel released versions in both packages of at least few models (I believe of both Pentium 4 and Celeron). There are also adapters to make Socket 423 boards compatible with at least some 478 chips, although I'm not sure what use they would be these days, given that 423 boards often mean RDRAM on the i850. I'm also not aware of adapters that go the other way (putting a 423 chip into a 478 board).

Here's a Tom's article that explores such an adapter:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor … ards,520-4.html

I have no idea what the availability of these things would be like these days - but they are, in theory, out there somewhere.

Reply 22 of 24, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, I've put a Wilamette 1.8 into my DFI 865PE and it ran just fine. O/c'ed to 2.3ghz easily too, which must be some sort of record 😵

Reply 23 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

Settled for the Asrock board and everything is working well. I really like this chipset. So stable and drama free. I have a 500GB SATA drive connected and for W98SE all I did was create a small partition (30GB) and off it went. No more SATA > PATA adapters 😁

I have the original driver disc and it installed the chipset and USB drivers. For sound I'm using a Vortex 2 card, this time not the Turtle Beach but a different model. Just forgot the name for it, something with quad and it was available new on eBay with box and drivers.

Using the latest reference driver with all the demos. Works really well. There is an error message when installing (can't detect PCI device) or something like that, but there is an easy workaround. A comment in the INF file needs to be removed.

So yea, I think Pentium 4 platform is awesome. There seems a lot of hate but I can't share it. Everything has been trouble free, even less than with Slot 1 systems, which have a great reputation.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update. Package from Germany arrived with five P4 CPUs 😀

So I tried the 1.6 and 1.8 Willamette and found:

Abit IS-7 would not POST at all. It simply doesn't support Willamette.

Asrock P4i65G works fine with both CPUs! I noticed the higher voltage and all the clocks are checking out.

Conclusion: Asrock rocks! 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel