VOGONS

OK...this is annoying....hmmm

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice cards! My main concern is the blue PCB as the motherboard, cpu cooler, ram heatsinks, lighting etc is all blue.

Few questions....how would you consider Albatron cards? I've never used them before so wouldn't know regarding quality/stability etc

From memory, the TI4800SE is basically a TI4400 yeah?

Lastly, do you think I'd be able to get away with a Zalman VNF100 passive cooler using this card as I acquired one recently?

Reply 23 of 27, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borgie83 wrote:

Few questions....how would you consider Albatron cards? I've never used them before so wouldn't know regarding quality/stability etc

From memory, the TI4800SE is basically a TI4400 yeah?

Lastly, do you think I'd be able to get away with a Zalman VNF100 passive cooler using this card as I acquired one recently?

I have no complaints about the quality / stability but it's also my only Albatron product.

Yes the Ti 4800 SE is the AGP 8x version of the Ti 4400.

Not sure about passive, but it might work. But the fan on these Zalman coolers (and clones) are very quiet. So it shouldn't be an issue.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 24 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok cool! 😀 might give this Albatron a shot. I've messaged the seller to see how much it costs to get it shipped to Australia.

While we're talking about passive cooling though, do you guys think the Zalman VNF100 would be suitable for the known hot running FX5950 Ultra? Obviously it wouldn't be sufficient in a lot of retro cases but this modern case has 1 x top mounted 200mm fan, 1 x front mounted 200mm fan and 1 x 120mm exhaust fan.

Case: Corsair 600T White Edition

http://www.corsair.com/en/special-edition-whi … -mid-tower-case

http://www.zalman.co.kr/global/product/Produc … ead.php?Idx=147

The reason I ask is because I also have 2 brand new XFX FX5950 Ultra's which have blue PCB's.

Reply 26 of 27, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:
Ok cool! :) might give this Albatron a shot. I've messaged the seller to see how much it costs to get it shipped to Australia. […]
Show full quote

Ok cool! 😀 might give this Albatron a shot. I've messaged the seller to see how much it costs to get it shipped to Australia.

While we're talking about passive cooling though, do you guys think the Zalman VNF100 would be suitable for the known hot running FX5950 Ultra? Obviously it wouldn't be sufficient in a lot of retro cases but this modern case has 1 x top mounted 200mm fan, 1 x front mounted 200mm fan and 1 x 120mm exhaust fan.

Case: Corsair 600T White Edition

http://www.corsair.com/en/special-edition-whi … -mid-tower-case

http://www.zalman.co.kr/global/product/Produc … ead.php?Idx=147

The reason I ask is because I also have 2 brand new XFX FX5950 Ultra's which have blue PCB's.

Never used an Albatron card, but their motherboards weren't bad years ago. 😀

As far as passive - I don't know the Zalman VNF100, but I know the FX 5800 Ultra (with Flow FX) runs passively when not in 3D, and as long as the room isn't too hot and there's some airflow in the case it will stay in passive mode. Zalman lists the VNF100 as compatible with the FX 5900/5950 and the GeForce 4 Ti series. No idea what temps you should expect though - the FX 5800 Ultra will range from mid-30s to mid-40s (anything sustained over 50*C and it clicks the fan on).

Do remember that the FX 5900 series require RAM cooling - so plan to add sinks if you add the VNF100. Should also go without saying that the 5950s will be faster than the 4 Ti. I'd say give it a shot - with the front intake on the Corsair in place, as long as it isn't very obstructed (including for exhaust; I'd suggest having vented I/O shields if possible), it should probably work. The card may get fairly warm when gaming though; do keep that in mind. I'd say keep an eye on it during some long-term testing (hours, not minutes; sit and play a game with the temp monitors open on another display) and if the temperatures don't stabilize you know it isn't up to the task.

Reply 27 of 27, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, just purchased a new in box Albatron TI4600 (photo attached) to replace my beloved BFG. Thanks for the suggestions guys 😀

After reading a few reviews on passive cooling on high end graphics cards, I don't think I'm going to try passive cooling on this card in particular. Might go with a zalman VF900 instead.