VOGONS

Just got a DX/4-100!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 69, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The more I read, the more I want the Biostar to make another very fast 486. I want to throw in a 133Mhz ADW serie AMD in it too.

Now, I do not care really much about RAM. What would be a good Cache/Ram combo ? I don't plan on using more than 32MB ram, _maybe_ 64, but I think I'll stick with 32mb.
With 32Mb RAM, can I go full 1MB cache or it's max will be 512kb anyway ?

I'm looking at this board : Ebay Link. It's pretty expensive, but would that be exactly what I would need ?

Reply 21 of 69, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:
The more I read, the more I want the Biostar to make another very fast 486. I want to throw in a 133Mhz ADW serie AMD in it too. […]
Show full quote

The more I read, the more I want the Biostar to make another very fast 486. I want to throw in a 133Mhz ADW serie AMD in it too.

Now, I do not care really much about RAM. What would be a good Cache/Ram combo ? I don't plan on using more than 32MB ram, _maybe_ 64, but I think I'll stick with 32mb.
With 32Mb RAM, can I go full 1MB cache or it's max will be 512kb anyway ?

I'm looking at this board : Ebay Link. It's pretty expensive, but would that be exactly what I would need ?

For that much RAM 256K write through should be enough

Good golly I just saw the price. I paid $40 for my motherboard with similar features.
That also has one of the notorious dallas chips.

How much was the other one you linked the spec sheet of offered for? It looked decent if the price was low

Reply 22 of 69, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:
For that much RAM 256K write through should be enough […]
Show full quote

For that much RAM 256K write through should be enough

Good golly I just saw the price. I paid $40 for my motherboard with similar features.
That also has one of the notorious dallas chips.

How much was the other one you linked the spec sheet of offered for? It looked decent if the price was low

This one : Ebay Link
But it's pretty far from me. I'm in Canada, this guy is in Serbia.

Reply 23 of 69, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:
You k now what, I'm retracting that affirmation. […]
Show full quote
Synoptic wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

VLB boards are pretty easy and cheap but they are not excatly easy to work with and worse the best VLB cards are pretty hard to find. I suggest that you hunt for a pci socket 3 board and have easier options when it comes to the graphics card.

I don't fear "hard" as I used to build those PC back them. the VLB was pretty much designed for the 486.

I'm sticking with a VLB mobo.

You k now what, I'm retracting that affirmation.

I think indeed, going for a Full ISA/PCI motherboard would be best.

Which models are recommended ?

I used a Diamond Stealth 2MB DRAM when I had a 486 DX2 66. Fast card and beautiful colours. Later I tried 2 Stealth VRAM but they all burned down, so I stayed with the DRAM.

Reply 26 of 69, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:

Well, I just went and bought this.

Dang, you must really want one that bad! 🤣

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 27 of 69, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
archsan wrote:
Synoptic wrote:

Well, I just went and bought this.

Dang, you must really want one that bad! 🤣

Lol, yeah 😀 Since it seems to have a good value, I can always re-ebay it after i'm done playing with it.

Reply 29 of 69, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Oh. My. God. A 486 set for a price of MT-32. You must have serious intentions.

Already got a MT-32 😐

I'll build the thing, post pics and bechmarks for fun and giggles.

I'll have a look at my PCI video card to see what I have.

Reply 30 of 69, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synoptic wrote:
Already got a MT-32 :| […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:

Oh. My. God. A 486 set for a price of MT-32. You must have serious intentions.

Already got a MT-32 😐

I'll build the thing, post pics and bechmarks for fun and giggles.

I'll have a look at my PCI video card to see what I have.

Make sure to submit your system to Phil's database!

Reply 33 of 69, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here!
Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 35 of 69, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Synoptic wrote:

Lol, yeah 😀 Since it seems to have a good value, I can always re-ebay it after i'm done playing with it.

One of the best boards.

Lots of information in this thread: Biostar MB-8433UUD-A

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 69, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no point in getting an AWE64, imo. Get a SoundBlaster 16 so that you can throw something nice onto the wavetable header. They are also great in that if you get the non-pnp ones, they work without drivers or TSRs eating into your memory, especially if you want to play anything in real-mode.

Reply 37 of 69, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got the mobo!

ZTILTSM.jpg
AIuH91k.jpg

What is this smaller plug? It fits on the mobo but I am pretty sure it is not mase for that. If I remember correctly the power plugs were names P8...
t106qxq.jpg
EFoEtRr.jpg

Last edited by Synoptic on 2014-07-19, 02:26. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 39 of 69, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd love to build/own something like this at some point in my life; the retro systems I work with tend to be a bit newer than these. Maybe in another 10-20 years when I get bored with the toys I already have. 😀